1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandbox pay to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Windwolf, May 26, 2018.

1. Windwolf

Windwolf New Member

May 26, 2018
    I guess things change over the years. I am probably older than most of the parents of people playing this game.

Back in the day I ran a Wildcat BBS. Back then there was no internet, it was only a vision that many of us shared.

Devs worked hard to get games off the ground and get them out to the public. BBS sysops were often contacted to set up gopher servers for games to be played through BBS doors.

Gamers were offered a lot to help in pre launch testing. Lifetime premium membership, free upgrades and often much more to play games in development.

Today we are asked to pay to have the privilege of helping to develop games for devs and we willingly do so just for the fact that we can say we were in on the ground floor.

I will disclose that I very rarely ever spend money on games. Nor will I pay for the honor of playing a game in order to write a cross the board review of the game.

I have only looked at the graphics shown on the site which are usually dressed up and most often not even part of the game merely concept art. Hopefully that is not the case here.

The concept is fantastic and the graphics are great. Game play sounds like it will be exciting.
    I also like the idea that devs are not trying to flush the game with content rather than concentrating on the engine and technical development first. The downfall of many games is the rush to content.

I will not get to see this game unless it eventually goes to production. Only then will I spend money on it.

I don't condemn those who do, that is your right and your privilege, however it is not the ideal concept and more than 80 percent of games built on this concept never make it out of Beta.

There is a better way and it has been used for a very long time, with great success.

I honestly hope this game makes it. It has a great deal of potential.

If the development team just remembers that it takes more than money to develop a game, it takes test players too.

The competition today is tougher than it has ever been. PTP vs FTP is getting even tougher.
    Finding a balance between pay to play users and free to play users will be a key to balance. Remember that a large percentage of FTP players will be conversions.

The question is, will the player base be an elite club of only those who pay to play this fantastic concept, and remain in a little niche of it's own, or will it expand and bring in players that are able to help grow in other ways.

There was a time when we used to have beta tester sites with a registry of Alpha and Beta testers. You listed your bio, games you had tested on, links to your crits and reviews and you went into the potential list for different games. Being selected for games on this level was a great honor and you spent the needed time to create reports for devs that were actually helpful.

I hope everyone the best and look forward to following the development of this game. I believe that it has the potential to be on the top of the top ten list.

With Respect,

Wolf

Lamar™ and Num47 like this.
  2. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
  3. Lamar™

Lamar™ Headcrab Backer

Jun 17, 2016
    Man, before reading this I completely forget there was a time before early access and Kickstarter like sites. When you had to apply for alphas and betas and if you were accepted it was exciting just to be able to download the game and look at the icon on your desktop. And for partaking in the testing phase and actively helping out the devs you would get cool in-game items or physical swag.

To be honest with you I have no idea why we pay to play an unfinished and broken game, sure the devs need alpha and beta testers but there is no incentive to carry on testing the game after a few hours. With access to the game 24/7 it's easy to get burnt out, with the longer and longer gaps in the updates why would you play after an update if it's glitchy and you got about a month or longer till the next one?

Sure there is the kindness in your heart to help the devs because you love the concept and believe in them but even the most die-hard fan must get burnt out.

The devs should really take a step back and think what they can do to incentivize testing the game when we paid to do so.

Maybe have Alpha and Beta achievements. Have a new achievement added ever patch to do with the update to give the players something to work towards and when the game releases something to have and show others. A new gun is added so have an achievement for shooting 100 zombies with it, or reloading it 200 times. Stupid silly stuff but give the players something for that.

Whatever the plan is on release if that's loot boxes (*sigh*) premium currencies or whatever have alpha and beta items maybe not added to the game but unlockable for when the full game releases.
    Have them tied to achievements maybe, so when you get the achievement on day one of release when you launch the game it looks at your achievements and gives you exclusive alpha and beta items.

Hell maybe have different fonts, huds, icon packs whatever just something more than simply the pleasure of playing the game early when it has less content than DayZ standalone.

Just send me a badge with the logo on it.

This got a little ranty but yeah I get what you are saying and I do agree even though I spent money on the game early I do miss the old days and how it was handled. If and when I get around to developing my own game I will make sure to implement plenty of incentives for players to test the game

4. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    There's always the reduced price of a finished product as one way to look at it. Ive also made a number of friends from backing various projects, depends on how much you get into the social side of a game.

The industry's changing, the old models dont exist anymore despite Electronic Arts and the rest still clinging to that ideal. Im still a fan of closed development, the big company's have access to talent and resources which even some medium sized company's don't have. Perhaps someday Crowd Funding will make it into mainstream AAA development. The single most biggest thing going for Crowd Funded projects is risk taking. Few big company's push the envelope today, when was the last time anyone saw a game that was truly innovative and turned out to be a contender for game of the year? Very few indie games make it to that hallowed pedestal which is a shame because there are some talented people trying to get their foot in the door. John Romero started out much as some of the youngsters are today. The future of PC gaming depends on these people they will be the CEO's and managers of games companies in 10-20 years. Failing that we all go back to using PC's as a tool, may that day never arrive.

5. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
    k