• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Screamer weapon

Thread starter #1

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Its really for PVP. A small device that when activated creates visual disturbance for the player being attacked, it emits an extremely high pitched sonic scream that messes with the characters head whos being attacked.

Its a twist on a stun grenade/flash bang. The device only works as long as there is battery, as it'd have to be quite small to make it practical battery might wear out quickly due to a small sized power source. Its a thrown device like a grenade.

The action would go like this player arms the screamer bomb, gives player a 10 second delay to throw after which it emits a high pitched sonic scream all players in the immediate vicinity experience audio visual disturbances only recovering after destroying the device or leaving the range of the weapon.

I dont really see any application vs zombies, unless zombies can be affected by sonic screams.

Thread starter #2

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
A good counter would be earplugs or ear muffs as well as electronic warfare countermeasures.

Thread starter #4

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
No offense DZS, STN dev's love feedback and suggestions. But what's with you and tech gadgets that wouldn't make a bit of sense on a civilian island in the early 2000's?
Whats with you trying to tell people to stop being inventive? Cheers btw.

Pro tip - learn some tact.

Whats with you trying to tell people to stop being inventive? Cheers btw.

Pro tip - learn some tact.
It's not a bad thing trying to be inventive. It's just that your particular choice just seems a bit far fetched on an isolated civilian island.

JoshGaarax3

Backer
I mean this could be modified into some sort of zombie lure instead? so obviously its going to be high pitched which will cause some discomfort for users with good headphones but gameplay wise why not have a small contraption that a 9v battery a red flashing LED and a speaker? arm it and throw it and the zeds will shamble or run towards it. At night you could use it against a boarded up house to let the zeds break in makin your access and looting easier.

Thread starter #7

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
It's not a bad thing trying to be inventive. It's just that your particular choice just seems a bit far fetched on an isolated civilian island.
Your trying very hard to be civil, its a good endeavour and will certainly help improve your linguistic skills.

I also wanted to say, im terribly sorry if you disapprove of my choice of technology in respect to the time period and any other factor related to the game i will do my up most in the future to invent weaponry based upon 17th century elegant Britain if you disapprove of this decision I highly suggest you send your dispute to the court of westminster fools, 555 smellycabbage street and a local Whig will be all to happy to address your dispute.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I have to agree with @JoshGaarax3 on this one. We know zombies are attracted to loud noises. If you've had to make a noise (weapon, breaking in somewhere, or even being attacked by a night time hoard), then a lure for zombies would be a great idea.

What would we use to craft such an item? A whistle and a flare? An air horn (don't think that item is in the game). Would it be ranged (thrown or shot), or a 'drop and run like mad in the other direction' option?

Thread starter #10

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
(Mob)☣Hashire☣(¢λλ), i seem to run into this problem sooner or later. I get in creative moods late at night and often post whatever forms in my head sometimes i dont research what im posting to see if it would fit. Then i get shitty and give rude or crude replies to those who are picking at it. The problem is because of the time period of the game and it limits my ability to create. Im not very good at working with limitations but i try. When the ideas are flowing time, space and literally everything in life disappears and that is where my head is at that moment. I do try to give humorous remarks even if annoyed.

Atleast i haven't done what im known for here by those who know me hehe. Yeah i'll refrain from discussing 2d physics and how one might move about in such a reality irl.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
lol you dont need to defend me Dr J.
I'll only defend you if we're facing a hoard of zombies together ... otherwise I will probably just help you :)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Isn't it the older you get the higher the Db you won't hear it... like the device shops can have to stop whipper snappers from loitering around?, so it may not work on the player or zeds. Does this kind of noise effect everyone the same way if you can hear it?... bad examples I know but like some people can't stand the noise of a screeching chalkboard or whitenoise but some people it doesn't bother.

It might not work how we'd like but I could be totally wrong or I'm thinking too much into it. So I'm on the fence with this idea, I could see it working but at the same time I don't.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Isn't it the older you get the higher the Db you won't hear it... like the device shops can have to stop whipper snappers from loitering around?, so it may not work on the player or zeds. Does this kind of noise effect everyone the same way if you can hear it?... bad examples I know but like some people can't stand the noise of a screeching chalkboard or whitenoise but some people it doesn't bother.

It might not work how we'd like but I could be totally wrong or I'm thinking too much into it. So I'm on the fence with this idea, I could see it working but at the same time I don't.
Living in the UK, I've also heard (or possibly not due to my age!) about sonic based deterrents that work best on people with more sensitive hearing.

It's true, hearing frequency does reduce with time (age). Never mind the medical stuff, in my years as an IT bloke, working with customers that look at that sort of thing, calibrating and monitoring the equipment, I know it's true.

So the big question is, what sort of 'sound bomb' would we need to attract zombies away from us in game? And how could we craft it?

I have to agree with @JoshGaarax3 on this one. We know zombies are attracted to loud noises. If you've had to make a noise (weapon, breaking in somewhere, or even being attacked by a night time hoard), then a lure for zombies would be a great idea.

What would we use to craft such an item? A whistle and a flare? An air horn (don't think that item is in the game). Would it be ranged (thrown or shot), or a 'drop and run like mad in the other direction' option?
I'm not trying to say that a noise maker is impossible. It's pretty easy to do create something like that. But due to my own elegance i failed to specify my exact problem. And for that, i apologize. My original post was referring to the "sonic" part of the noise maker.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm not trying to say that a noise maker is impossible. It's pretty easy to do create something like that. But due to my own elegance i failed to specify my exact problem. And for that, i apologize. My original post was referring to the "sonic" part of the noise maker.
Oh Drat, I think I read your post wrong.
Can you please tell us more about the sonic idea?
I just thought it was a noise maker to lure zombies off.
Did you have something grander in mind?

Thread starter #16

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Oh Drat, I think I read your post wrong.
Can you please tell us more about the sonic idea?
I just thought it was a noise maker to lure zombies off.
Did you have something grander in mind?
The original idea was meant as an alternative flash bang which is reusable with replaceable battery's.

Thread starter #17

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
My issue is sooner or later i'll pop an idea that someone has to moan about because of 'x' reason not fitting in with game. Like to see those people try and contribute something just try it you might find you help the community than sit there all day circle jerking about why another persons idea wont work.

Thread starter #18

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Stupid arguing, whatever bit of a sausage feast on this forum haha.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Disagreement over ideas is bound to happen bud, I've put across plenty of ideas that people don't agree with (even me after looking twice :oops:)

But don't let that stop you or get offended by anymeans and communication via text can sometimes come across wrong too, even thou that's not the persons intention.

And besides it's the devs that have final say to what goes in not us, so you never know. :)

Thread starter #20

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Well Fuk them brah!!! nah haha.

- tip for randoms, helps to be an asshole on here now and then.