• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Server Questions Answered

Thread starter Admin #1

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
Hey everyone,

I'm going to try and compile all the server questions and answers into this thread so it's easy to find and link to.

Q: Where will the server locations be once the game is playable?
A: We will be trying to get as many server locations globally as possible. I'll start off with a list that we plan to have up when the game releases as well as a few we hope to secure.

Please vote in our poll here: https://serverpoll.allgamer.net

North America:
US West (Los Angeles or Seattle, maybe both)
US East (Miami, New York, or New Jersey)
US Central (Dallas)

South America:
Unknown

Europe:
Netherlands
UK (Not confirmed yet, hoping it works out, but will probably be later on in the release)

Oceania:
Australia (Sydney or Brisbane) (Depending on the demand we may have even more locations)

Asia:
Unknown (Japan maybe)
--

Q: Will the server files be released?
A: Eventually yes. The devs will be in charge of that.

Q: Will we have access to the server files on AllGamer.net hosting?
A: No, all access will be indirectly through the control panel. You'll still be able to manage everything from there

Q: What will be the server pricing?
A: We won't know until the first release and people are loading down the servers. We have to see what kind of resource usage STN eats up. We're hoping for $1/Player

Q: Will there be server rollbacks?
A: Potentially in the future. There isn't a plan for it at the moment.

Q: Will there be PvE and PvP servers?
A: Yes to both.

Q: Will there be some official servers?
A: Yes. We plan on having a few official servers hosted and hopefully have a few community members moderate them.

If you have more questions please post them in this thread. I'll do my best to update this post with new questions and answers as well.

Last edited:

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Great post Clinton, love the direction of this thread. I have a question for ya, so there's no plans for accessing server files via any other means other than through the control panel? Not that I don't have any faith in it, but what happens if a game update/patch breaks something within the CP and people are unable to access and/or use key features of the CP to modify their server for X amount of time? Will server owners just have to suffer through until it's resolved?

Also, will the control panel be browser based, or is it a sort of stand-alone program?

Regarding automatic/manual server backups, are the backup files saved server side or end-user side?

Thread starter Admin #3

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
Great post Clinton, love the direction of this thread. I have a question for ya, so there's no plans for accessing server files via any other means other than through the control panel? Not that I don't have any faith in it, but what happens if a game update/patch breaks something within the CP and people are unable to access and/or use key features of the CP to modify their server for X amount of time? Will server owners just have to suffer through until it's resolved?

Also, will the control panel be browser based, or is it a sort of stand-alone program?

Regarding automatic/manual server backups, are the backup files saved server side or end-user side?

Great questions.

Server files aren't accessible since they haven't been released to the public yet. Any issues with the server itself would be due to the development cycle issues. If something does break and isn't related to the game just being early access we'll be standing by to fix it right away if you let us know something has gone wrong.

The control panel is browser based. Maybe one day we'll have an app for Android and maybe even Apple devices.

Backups are all stored locally (On the server machine) right now and can be downloaded so you can keep it safe on your own computer or elsewhere. At the moment the backup makes a copy of the config files and the server database.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
With as many server questions people have asked over the course of development thus far I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this thread with questions, so I'll fire another one off.

These questions have to do with game versions / updates, and while it may not be relevant until mod support becomes incorporated into STN, situations may arise where players & server owners could benefit. Will servers hosted through AllGamer automatically update when a2z pushes client updates out through Steam, or will server owners / admins have to update their servers 'manually' by accessing the server's control panel? If there are automatic updates, will we be able to enable/disable that feature in the CP? Lastly, will server owners have the option / feature to revert their server to an older version if they desire? I'd ask the same for clients but that's more of a _JB / Jayty question, and Steam is pretty good at allowing players to roll back to previous versions (plus if we're unable to revert servers to previous versions, that point is moot).

I say this is less relevant until mod support is available primarily because up until that point players & server owners alike will likely want to have the most recent version available, especially in the early stages. When the modding community really gets going, often times game updates can 'break' some mods that people are using, either causing them to work improperly or to not function at all (or even cause conflicts with the game itself). If it's a mod that takes significant time to update (or the mod creator doesn't / is unable to update it quickly), then many people will revert to an older version of the game so they can continue to use the mod until a solution arrives.

This could potentially be useful before modding becomes a heavy part of STN, for example if a patch / update is rolled out that causes more harm than good then people may want to revert to a previous, more stable version. Hopefully this won't be necessary, but even with AAA titles it can prove useful until things are smoothed out.

Thread starter Admin #5

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
With as many server questions people have asked over the course of development thus far I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this thread with questions, so I'll fire another one off.

These questions have to do with game versions / updates, and while it may not be relevant until mod support becomes incorporated into STN, situations may arise where players & server owners could benefit. Will servers hosted through AllGamer automatically update when a2z pushes client updates out through Steam, or will server owners / admins have to update their servers 'manually' by accessing the server's control panel? If there are automatic updates, will we be able to enable/disable that feature in the CP? Lastly, will server owners have the option / feature to revert their server to an older version if they desire? I'd ask the same for clients but that's more of a _JB / Jayty question, and Steam is pretty good at allowing players to roll back to previous versions (plus if we're unable to revert servers to previous versions, that point is moot).

I say this is less relevant until mod support is available primarily because up until that point players & server owners alike will likely want to have the most recent version available, especially in the early stages. When the modding community really gets going, often times game updates can 'break' some mods that people are using, either causing them to work improperly or to not function at all (or even cause conflicts with the game itself). If it's a mod that takes significant time to update (or the mod creator doesn't / is unable to update it quickly), then many people will revert to an older version of the game so they can continue to use the mod until a solution arrives.

This could potentially be useful before modding becomes a heavy part of STN, for example if a patch / update is rolled out that causes more harm than good then people may want to revert to a previous, more stable version. Hopefully this won't be necessary, but even with AAA titles it can prove useful until things are smoothed out.

Server owners (Unless I'm told differently in the future by STN) will be able to update their server when they want to. There won't be forced updates. Rollbacks to previous versions will not be available at this time since it would require a repository of older versions just to offer that functionality.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Rollbacks to previous versions will not be available at this time since it would require a repository of older versions just to offer that functionality.
Clearly version rollbacks won't be available initially, but would it be supported at a later time? ;) :p

Sneakydude

Survivor
Backer
Clearly version rollbacks won't be available initially, but would it be supported at a later time? ;) :p
Aye, good point because everyone will be looking for a server post is it stable? is it stable? can i update yet?

Oh the poor mods......

@Clinton
But in the mean time, what if situation. I update the server, and gawd forbid something goes wrong. Do i have an initial version to rollback to?

Whatif that build initially is not stable enough after 6 months. Would the devs be able to load our servers again for us?

it would require a massive ticket, and we all know those tickets never get answered always on time when you have 64 players all screaming down your neck, is it fixed yet? is it fixed yet? is it stable? I lost my character........

Anyway to do an emerg backup build local??? just incase until a hammered out solution is provided.

And why am i just seeing this thread for the first time????

Not so sneaky

p.s i need to quote people correctly... sorry montauk

Last edited:
Thread starter Admin #9

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
Aye, good point because everyone will be looking for a server post is it stable? is it stable? can i update yet?

Oh the poor mods......

@Clinton
But in the mean time, what if situation. I update the server, and gawd forbid something goes wrong. Do i have an initial version to rollback to?

Whatif that build initially is not stable enough after 6 months. Would the devs be able to load our servers again for us?

it would require a massive ticket, and we all know those tickets never get answered always on time when you have 64 players all screaming down your neck, is it fixed yet? is it fixed yet? is it stable? I lost my character........

Anyway to do an emerg backup build local??? just incase until a hammered out solution is provided.

And why am i just seeing this thread for the first time????

Not so sneaky

p.s i need to quote people correctly... sorry montauk
I don't know. I'm hoping the game would get patched. Older version rollback is possible, it would just take a lot of work. I'll talk to Jay about it. I don't think it's worth it until the game is at least in a beta build since the whole point of playing is for testing. Since the server files aren't released yet a full backup isn't implemented.

Thread starter Admin #10

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
Potentially!

Edit: Sorry guys deleting a few offtopic posts since I want this thread to be quick and easy for people to read through for questions and answers. I'll be glad to discuss other topics with you in another thread though!

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Any update on that UK server availability?

Thread starter Admin #14

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff

lashton

Backer
well when the game get updated, people have th op[tion to download the new version or keep thier old version, or go back to a prevous version

Thread starter Admin #17

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
Will you be able to rent a server from day 1 of the release.
Will there be a limited number of servers for rent.
Will all the servers be tied to a hive.
- Yes unless something changes
- No, we'll spin up as many servers as needed
- No

lashton

Backer
I am more than willing to run a few servers for you

Maybe older builds, god forbid anything go horribly wrong

Last edited: