• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Ship wrecks

Do you like this idea

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

CORNHOILO_1337

King of u wot m8 empire
Backer
Old/new ship wrecks varying in loot while some are on shore some may be on the bottom of a lake etc etc. could contain items not found on Island since it of course a international ship. Ships could be anything from small dinghies to freighters.

Freighters could hold commercial items such as clothes or maybe fuel while on smaller dinghies you could just use the ship as scrape

An example

Edit credit to Vegalyp: It could have holes in the side given that it is a wrecked ship, or there could be a rope/ladder that you could use. Maybe you would have to swim under it. Regardless of how, I would love this.

Edit credit to circularmirror7: Ships would be a great idea! It would give more of a apocalypse feeling seeing rusty ships crashed or docked in a harbor. Maybe sometimes it could be dangerous to enter the wrecks or even being able to make a base out of the old hull would be nice. Great idea

Last edited:

Vegalyp

Schizophrenic Wooden Plank
Backer
It could have holes in the side given that it is a wrecked ship, or there could be a rope/ladder that you could use. Maybe you would have to swim under it. Regardless of how, I would love this.

Thread starter #4

CORNHOILO_1337

King of u wot m8 empire
Backer
It could have holes in the side given that it is a wrecked ship, or there could be a rope/ladder that you could use. Maybe you would have to swim under it. Regardless of how, I would love this.
Cheers

circularmirror7

ZombieSitter
Backer
Ships would be a great idea! It would give more of a apocalypse feeling seeing rusty ships crashed or docked in a harbor. Maybe sometimes it could be dangerous to enter the wrecks or even being able to make a base out of the old hull would be nice. Great idea

Thread starter #9

CORNHOILO_1337

King of u wot m8 empire
Backer
Ships would be a great idea! It would give more of a apocalypse feeling seeing rusty ships crashed or docked in a harbor. Maybe sometimes it could be dangerous to enter the wrecks or even being able to make a base out of the old hull would be nice. Great idea
Thanks edited it into main article

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
So, in the 'Character Backstory' forum I researched and incorporated ships heavily. This got me thinking about how coast guard and maritime vessels play an important - and ever present - role in coastal island regions. Specifically because this is an island it must utilize ferries, even if there's a connecting bridge to elsewhere. Also, fishing, salvage, and freight vessels will have to operate in the region.

There should be a wrecked coast guard vessel which took on people who tried to evacuate the island early on. A coastal cutter wouldn't necessarily have military weapons, especially if it's already been looted, but could contain vital medical supplies and survival equipment (batteries, hand-helds, flashlights, winter gear, etc...). In addition, the ship would be overrun with the dead, creating a serious close-quarters nightmare scenario.

If you like the coast guard ship idea I have one question - and this really applies to any ships offshore - once players have cleared the wreckage of zombies should they be able to setup a permanent base or should the dead continuously respawn? This is essentially a question of balance for the gameplay and RP, it makes sense to allow a permanent base, but may make for an obvious 'super-fortress' for bandit player groups. Personally I think it would add an excellent level of immersion, what do you think?

Davz Not Here

Backer
i was asked to move this suggestion from http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/airdrops.2944/page-2#post-28409

to here

Ghost ships
first ..... let us assume the following:
  • there will be more islands
  • islands will vary in size

ok using just the first island as the example

ghost ships:
  • 3x "ghost ships", no more, at widely varied times e.g. 1x on day 10, 1x day 36, 1x day 55
  • ships can run ashore, snag on coral, hit a dock or other boat, and even sink (scenario dependent)
  • ships have zeds on them
  • ships have one time, no re-spawn loot on it
  • sections of the ship can be scrounged for materials.
  • ship can be fortified and is treated as any other structure after 'the event'

the islands of varying size can have only 1 boat or plane event if small (or none), or 5 if it's a huge island

Last edited:

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
@Davz Not Here My last suggestion would be to separate the parts of your post, although I doubt a moderator will say anything seeing points on ghost ships in the airport/plane crash thread and talk about the plane crashes in the ship wreck thread could confuse people. Just a suggestion.

I definitly think the amount of large ships should be very small and the frequency of their appearnce to be very slim. I think they should have diffrent classes of ship wreck's/ghost ships as well. A deralict cruise ship would be pretty cool to see, depending on the size of the cruise ship the wreck would be massive and they might even need to have a piece of the bow or stern torn off to make it smaller Rivet City style. I think it would be cool to have the cruise ship wreck break in half so that there would be two seprate part's with diffrent pro's, it would be interesting to see two diffrent groups take hold of the ship each with their own half.

The wreck would also have an massive amount of zombies and would be a maze inside. It would probably have to be the rarest of the deralict's because of the sheer size, but when it enter's the map and wreck's it would practically be a man made island. It would def draw attenion and you would never know if you killed all of the zombies or if someone snuck in because of the maze like innards of the ship.

Davz Not Here

Backer
A cruise ship running-a-ground, breaking up, and releasing a ship full of (100's) zombies would be an epic event

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I hadn't thought about the wreck releasing zombies but that would be crazy to see, its been discussed that the zombies are photo sensitive which is why they horde at night so if it happened during the day some would walk the perimiter but most of them would stay inside making it extremely dangerious to go inside. At night they would freak out and attack the nearest player probably making it easier to take it over at the risk of being out at night.

Its been discussed that you wouldn't really find fire arms on the wrecks since they don't carry them too often but a Cruise ship wreck/ghost ship would have the highest chance to spawn guns. Like I believe I suggested in a previous thread I would like to see Remington 1100 shotgun's since they are popular for skeet shooting and I believe clay/trap shooting is a popular cruise pass time.

Davz Not Here

Backer
yeah the wreck and zombie release would be a great 'event' to add in .....

as far as weapons i wouldn't know off hand what is popular on cruise ships .... but i would bet when it comes to Flare Guns, which i think have also been mentioned in the weapons sub., you find them a plenty. especially in the life raft kits

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I actually just read that cla shooting has been phased out of cruises due to the shot and the plastic wad's, some still might do it not really caring about the rules but they would be a lot rarer then I firssst assumed. Like you said though it would be a great place for flare gun's.

Also talking about life raft's I would really like to see the modern life boat's, it would be a really interesting non military boat that could still be used after the ship has wrecked.

Davz Not Here

Backer
+1 on the research about pigeons

and great pics ...... i want one ..... for the local lake :D

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Thank's yeah I really like those newer life boat's as well, here is a pic of one with a bot more armor.

Here is a inside pic of the second life boat pic I posted I believe, you could use them like water based troop transport's for pvp.

I also found a list of the typical items found in emergency survival kit's on life boat's/raft's and as their general equipment.

Safety equipment:
-Life jackets
-Fire extinguisher
-First aid kit

Communications and navigation
-Compass
-Distress beacons (EPIRBs) gps locater becons that could tie in with computer's/coast guard stations
-Red flare, rocket parachute flare, and/or smoke signal flare (single use flare launchers that have a longer hover time)
-Laser pointer for signaling aircraft (red is color of distress, but green color is higher power and will be seen farther), with lithium cells, in double waterproof plastic pouch. Could be used for diy laser pointer attachments and signaling player's.
-Radar reflector (to help rescuers locate the raft) Could be used to boost 2-way radio strength or other diy inventions
-Lantern and fuel
-Radio transceiver, standard VHF marine and an optional amateur radio if a licensed radio amateur (see Ham Radio) or an AM/FM/Weather/Shortwave radio receiver
-GPS navigation device

Survival Item's/Misc
-Lighter
-Food and water
-Fishing kit
-Rainwater collection equipment
-Seawater desalination kit
-Water
-Emergency high-calorie rations/food (not as important as water). Chocolate has a superior calorie/weight ratio
-Hatchet's
-Waterproof flashlight's
-Heaving line
-Ladder
-Sea anchor (also called a "sea drogue")
-Bailer
-Bilge pump
-Boat hook
-Bucket
-Any knife

Besides being used for their original purpose a lot of the items can be used for crafting trap's or survival item's.

Davz Not Here

Backer
again +1 ..... spot on!

Have the multi-band shortwave radios been discussed yet? (time to use the search bar) ..... .... ... .. . and no they have not but it should certainly be brought up in the "radio station" thread
I own 2 of those (they came with the fixer upper I bought 2 years ago) ..... love them ..... every station of tv, emergency, radio, ham, 2 way ..... everything ..... i can't transmit but i can listen
i'll get a HAM setup for home one day ..... stopping now before i get off topic