• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Shooting stars

Thread starter #1

JoshGaarax3

Backer
I'm just wondering if we'll get shooting stars in our night sky and if they will be easier to see further away from a light source you are (as standard being near a street light means 0 stars) so if youre in the woods and you look up you get to see an amazing night sky filled with stars and then woosh, a shooting star. I'd say make a wish but I doubt it would happen.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
They're not really rare. You just hardly see them due to light pollution and location.
Rare as in the game environment. ;) We don't need to be seeing them every five minutes at night.

Davz Not Here

Backer
Rare as in the game environment. ;) We don't need to be seeing them every five minutes at night.

actually you would be seeing that kind of ratio, if, there was little to no light pollution. Along with huge upticks during the usual seasons (Taurids, Orionids, etc.) These showers are named thus due to the predominant constellation in the sky when they are at their peak.

If light sources are limited to candles, flashlights, and some indoor lighting, you would probably see them at night with a high frequency

Thread starter #7

JoshGaarax3

Backer
But seeing as these things are season based we wouldnt really see the same one 3 days in a row

Davz Not Here

Backer
But seeing as these things are season based we wouldnt really see the same one 3 days in a row
i think (with out hitting google) there are about 20 showers in a year. some faint, some bright and dependable as long as the sky is clear. I think only 3-4 are considered 'major showers' where you will see a serious 30-40/hr

some of the more prominent showers can be see increasing / decreasing over roughly a 10 day period (shower specific) .... in the middle of this period, you usually have 1-2 peak night(s) where you will see 30-40/ hr, a real show ..... the other 7-9 days you will see activity increase / decrease, and you need to be looking for it .....

and again, some showers are a 'no show' ..... either they just weren't as bright this year, or, there was cloud cover, or 'the see' just wasn't good (usually caused by light or particulate pollution) .....

so to my mind ..... and for the purposes of a game dynamic - added under seasons, tied to the night sky star patterns (constellations), which would change with the season also - it seems to me that the main reasons to add it would be

- aesthetics
- as with truly dynamic, cyclical seasons, something never really added to a game before ('we did it, and it works')
- and maybe ..... maybe a tie in to some kind of astrological / astronomical event that causes the zeds to horde and move more than usual

besides ..... it's REALLY F'IN' COOL, never been done, and certainly never tied in a with fully dynamic season / year system .....

which brings up a point ..... @a2z(Interactive); ..... the sky is REALLY bad ass, and the IRL constellations an even better addition ..... BUT ..... they are too small ..... constellations, no matter which ones or where on the planet you look at them from ..... ARE BIG .....

so big in fact, that huge portions of modern day religions are based on astro-theology from 5,000 years ago (mostly holidays and such), when knowing the sky, meant knowing when to plant, harvest, and storage times of year. .....

just some of the majors in the N. Hem., Orion, Ursa Major, and Ursa minor, take up HUGE portions of the sky ..... go outside, leave the city and drive 4 hours in to a rural area ..... stay there until dark (and long after bed time) ..... you can see our spiral band of the milky way too

Last edited:

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
just some of the majors in the N. Hem., Orion, Ursa Major, and Ursa minor, take up HUGE portions of the sky ..... go outside, leave the city and drive 4 hours in to a rural area ..... stay there until dark (and long after bed time) ..... you can see our spiral band of the milky way too
You must live near the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.

Davz Not Here

Backer