• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Shotgun trap improvement

Thread starter #1

JoshGaarax3

Backer
So as you can tell from the title its not a new trap but more of a "improvement" on the trap now we know theres 2 shotguns in the game so far ones a pump ones a semi this is according to the wiki, now Im unsure as to which shotgun is used in the "One shot shotgun trap" but it does look like the semi, if so I have an improvement on it.

We add 2 traps one using the run of the mill pumper this thing will be the current one shot only shotgun once its used its used until you arm it again which in a night horde can be kinda difficult if not fatal.

The 2nd trap is using the semi however its more of a pressure pad, think about how people stood on rakes and it thumped them right in the face? thats how it would work, each step of the plate would cause the trigger to click and with it being semi-auto theres no need to pump it just stomp away til theres a whole bigger than a melon in a zeds chest.

Now im not sure how the traps 100% work such as if you can take the shotgun again after making it a trap or the traps just a frame and you put the shotgun inside it etc. so if anyones got more info on how they work that'll be awesome.

Thread starter #2

JoshGaarax3

Backer
(Just realised theres a trap page so er...could a friendly mod move this over at some point please?)

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I rather like your idea @JoshGaarax3 .
But it would take a lot of extra materials to craft. The 'original' trap was more or less a frame, a loaded shotgun and a tripwire.
What would you need to craft the next level?
A mechanism to reload from loaded shells - a battery system and some extra parts.
A pressure plate - how would you construct a resettable one? An electrical circuit might be good...

What do you think?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Nice idea...
I'd suggest using a vice and table to mount it on to keep it stable and in one position and instead of a pressure plate, how about using an old motion sensor alarm so anything that triggers the sensor will be shot?.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well @Num47 , if you wanted to use an old an old PIR (from a building alarm system for instance), how would you disable it?
I see shotgun traps as a form of defence - pointing at building entry points. If you have a pressure sensor or tripwire, you can step over it, if it's a motion sensor, how do you enter safely?
Unless, of course, it's defending an ingress route (a window?) you don't plan to use. Or perhaps you (and your team) are behind the line of fire at all times, and can disable it safely.

I do feel like we're all adding complexity to what would be a simple idea. We're all coming from the modern world on this topic, where we can just nip down to the local shops and pick up everything we need.

Supplies will be scarce, crafting skills might be even more scarce, and our time will be limited to put together complex devices.

But I'm all in favour of being able to upgrade traps.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Well @Num47 , if you wanted to use an old an old PIR (from a building alarm system for instance), how would you disable it?
I see shotgun traps as a form of defence - pointing at building entry points. If you have a pressure sensor or tripwire, you can step over it, if it's a motion sensor, how do you enter safely?
Unless, of course, it's defending an ingress route (a window?) you don't plan to use. Or perhaps you (and your team) are behind the line of fire at all times, and can disable it safely.

I do feel like we're all adding complexity to what would be a simple idea. We're all coming from the modern world on this topic, where we can just nip down to the local shops and pick up everything we need.

Supplies will be scarce, crafting skills might be even more scarce, and our time will be limited to put together complex devices.

But I'm all in favour of being able to upgrade traps.
You answered it right... stay behind it, wait for it to-be clear of shells and only disable it when you want to leave your safehouse... it's more of a siege defence trap that you'd use while inside rather than a general trap that you'd use willy nilly or when you go on loot runs (there will be plenty of other traps for that).

And all traps should have the danger of being used on you imo, they don't distinguish between human, zombie or the sapper but that is a whole other topic somewhere.

But the pressure plate is fine, just throwing out other ideas.

Thread starter #7

JoshGaarax3

Backer
Not sure how to describe it but think of it like an old fashioned steam train wheel, infact a shovel basically its a plate thats attached to a plank that once it gets stood on it pushes the plank against the trigger thus blowing the zombies legs off and half way down the hallway, clearing the plate for another unfortunate zed to run on

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
I like it! Taking a good idea one step further, for sure. The only challenge would be ease/availability to craft these more complex trap ideas you see on the Forums. This one is definitely not too far-fetched, and it would be cool not having to re-arm it every time. Also sacrificing a really powerful weapon you could be using to watch your back for you? A fair trade-off.

RaakaKarju

Backer
I like this too but one thing need to be think allso guns get jammed so my point is why not gun whith use in trap jam too, need to use better quality gun to trap and need maintanence to trap.

I think this kind trap too maybe little different fire mechanism but still, and that jamming need to be in trap gun too.