• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Signal Traps

Thread starter #1

Mklwhite

Backer
In certain situations you want to be aware of something approaching your position without necessarily letting them know you know or damaging them (that can be noisy and counter productive under certain circumstances) or can be set up to misdirect if you choose to pursue it in that direction.

With that being said I think the easiest "go to" would be a simple noise making trap that would prevent unwanted visitors from sneaking in on you or your stuff. Take for example the house with a garage scenario. You are in the house while someone else might be helping themselves to your gear in the garage. A noise maker trap would let you know without damaging your equipment. Plus, if it were set up in such a way as to make the noise inside the house, then you can get the drop on the intruder(s). The equipment would be easy enough to acquire and to rig.

Thread starter #3

Mklwhite

Backer
This is a fantastic idea! maybe some tin-cans tied to fishing wire?
I like this! @JB_
I've made them all sorts of ways. Tin cans on strings/wires/fences, twisted rope klaxons and mouse trap trip-lines are some of the easiest especially with scavenged materials.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
only issue i see is how would you get it to play inside your house but i like the idea of noise traps like in skyrim. they had bones attached to string hanging down that would rattle together and wake the falmer

Vorpist

ΜЛШ ˢᵗᶰ | Owner
Backer
Awesome idea, I totally support this idea.

Thread starter #6

Mklwhite

Backer
only issue i see is how would you get it to play inside your house but i like the idea of noise traps like in skyrim. they had bones attached to string hanging down that would rattle together and wake the falmer
The easiest one for that is the mouse trap trip-line. It requires the least effort and yet can make a load pop (or more if you set it up right) to get your attention. Easy enough done, even around corners, with a reasonably short range like the garage to the house.

JB_

Developer
Developer
What about motion sensor security lights? You can "decompile" them into seprate pcs. You'll get 1 motions sensor and 1 light housing. You can place the motion sensor outside and the light in the home. Someone trips the motion sensor it turns the light in your house on.

Thread starter #8

Mklwhite

Backer
What about motion sensor security lights? You can "decompile" them into seprate pcs. You'll get 1 motions sensor and 1 light housing. You can place the motion sensor outside and the light in the home. Someone trips the motion sensor it turns the light in your house on.
You could however you would have to be running electricity (or big batteries?) for the sensor and the light. I'm not opposed to that by any means, I'm just thinking of the requirements. Heading in that direction you could cannibalize baby monitors or cheap walkie-talkie sets to do roughly the same thing and run off aa/aaa/9v/rechargeable batteries. You could tie the photosensor to the open key switch and have the mic key up based on motion instead of sound.

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
My garage has a motion sensor to detect things before closing so it doesn't crush anything. I could probably re-wire to detect other people and set of an alarm.

FuzioN

Backer
Well i didnt know if i should place this as trap, but anyway here we go.

I think somthing that would be neat, if zeds walk toward your house and night closing in you could make a empty metal jar, and some metal inside it screw it togther, have it away from your house, and have a wire/line connected to the yar and you shake it to attract them to go away to another direction.

However this should only work if they have not spotted caught your attention yet, that means if you shot one zed well its useless, if you ran and jumped in your house it would prolly be useless.

But if they wander close your house and you want them to wander away from it you could use it.

However there could be a bad thing with it, it could attract more zombies closer to your house that was not close your house but in the edge of the sound of the jar scrammling.

yarlol.png

Behold my pro paint skills! :D anway i hope you get the idea on the left is the house you go to belcony and you just weave the line and it scrambles.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I think I see the picture your trying to paint ( See what I did there) and I do think it is a interesting idea. I am thinking this would have to be one long rope to get them far enough away from your house to matter. Although maybe you wont need much to make a quick escape. But I do have some concerns, I don't want this to be able to deter a huge horde just would seem to cheap to be able to deter a horde with a jar, some metal and a string. Also I don't know if this is possible with engine or not, being able to attach rope to object while making the rope not collide through objects. Good concept and idea, this is just my opinion and wanted to thank you for taking time to post on the forums.

FuzioN

Backer
I think I see the picture your trying to paint ( See what I did there) and I do think it is a interesting idea. I am thinking this would have to be one long rope to get them far enough away from your house to matter. Although maybe you wont need much to make a quick escape. But I do have some concerns, I don't want this to be able to deter a huge horde just would seem to cheap to be able to deter a horde with a jar, some metal and a string. Also I don't know if this is possible with engine or not, being able to attach rope to object while making the rope not collide through objects. Good concept and idea, this is just my opinion and wanted to thank you for taking time to post on the forums.

Well thats true, might remove the scary elements at night trying to keep quiet the entire night, so you are right on that part.

Maybe use it as a lure into other traps? :)

iR4DzZ

Backer
Well if u could use cans instead bell it'd be better :D Cause i don't think u would find any bells, Also cans trap could be placed anywhere like between trees in front of a door or something :3

FuzioN

Backer
Well if u could use cans instead bell it'd be better :D Cause i don't think u would find any bells, Also cans trap could be placed anywhere like between trees in front of a door or something :3
who knows maybe it is winter and santa have come by and dropped some of his raindeers bells got dropped during his trip over, and he be like screw it they are toasted il go to africa and deliver some presents instead! :D

Jokes aside yeah ofc i ment a can with some screws in it and then you seal it with a welder or somthing.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I know they have the fog horn trap but that is too loud just to alert you for the purpose of this idea, So it would be cool to make another from something like bells, empty can/bottle, keys etc

+1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this... you could also use kids toys that have motion sensors on them.... Tigger guarding my front door KICKASS.