• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Sirens

Warning sirens

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah I think this would be a interesting idea, I believe a lot of islands use sirens to warn people for adverse weather conditions. It would really aggro zombies towards it so it could be really dangerious to be near one, but they would possiblly be near areas with valuable loot. It would be a very dangerious object if it had power, I don't know how much power they need but the newer ones have battery back up systems.

If they have them near high value areas it would also give a con to the areas if the siren is tied into the electrical system of the high value building. If a group takes a perticularlly fortified building with high value loot and have supplied the building with a source of power there is a chance the siren could be activated or randomly go off. I don't know much about the new sirens but there could be a chance perticularlly bad weather could set the sirens off, this would cause a situation with massive zombie aggro and bad sight and firing conditions. There is also a certain demoralizing effect when in range of a storm siren, I have heard one go off in my town a couple times and the sound it makes is pretty freaky when your in range to hear it. I don't know if this could effect the mental state of a players charecter but I think it would atleast effect the players themselves to a certain extent.

This would be cool if players could build them and place them at a base, when the house is being raided a player can set this off letting his group know that they're under attack. And obviously drawing more Z's to them.

Davz Not Here

Backer
i like the idea and BlackWater nailed it. Most islands are in the path of hurricanes, volcanic, or both, and would have disaster siren ..... and probably one at the Fire / EMT or the local school (or both depending on the size of the town)

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
I remember hearing one of these when I lived in New Orleans, and it was pretty intimidating. I'm sure it would have the same effect on players. Just think: You're wandering around in the middle of the night, trying to get back to your base after your car broke down. Suddenly, a loud siren breaks the silence, almost causing you to miss the groans of the undead growing steadily closer...(I could be a writer :D) I would like them to be in the game solely for that awesome reason.
Here's another thing I just thought about. If you're truly evil, you could tie someone up near the sirens and set them off, attracting zombies to them. :D

Davz Not Here

Backer
I remember hearing one of these when I lived in New Orleans, and it was pretty intimidating. I'm sure it would have the same effect on players. Just think: You're wandering around in the middle of the night, trying to get back to your base after your car broke down. Suddenly, a loud siren breaks the silence, almost causing you to miss the groans of the undead growing steadily closer...(I could be a writer :D) I would like them to be in the game solely for that awesome reason.
and the reason you hear them so loud is because it's dark, and you didn't realize quite where you were and it's next to you ..... and oh look ..... now ..... so is the hoard you had ALMOST passed with out issue ..... oh crap .....

+1

Here's another thing I just thought about. If you're truly evil, you could tie someone up near the sirens and set them off, attracting zombies to them. :D
that really is vicious ..... :D

+1 again ..... doesn't DayZ or H1Z1 have a 'hand cuffing' / hostage / robber type system as part of PvP ..... this is not a bad system to .... ehm ..... 'cover' ( "PLAY FREEBIRD" ) and do it better .....

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
I think this could be amazing for a trap a siren in a lightly fortified camp that goes off when a wire is tripped turning it into a death pit for would be looters or murder squads

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I agree to all posted above, great idea to have... here are some varied ones

Would be good if a group rigged it up to sound off before it goes dark.. bit like Silent Hill.
Heh the noise is kinda eerie don't you think..

Davz Not Here

Backer
hmmmm .....

follow me for a min.

assume there are no radios, or they are rare. so no weather reports or reports are limited to a very few.
and let us assume there is weather, and if we are on an island it might be hurricane like from time to time (seasons ..... omfg devs add seasons :) )

so a group of survivors were out looting the small city or w/e ..... and the weather starts to shift, the siren goes off (and oh crap this time it happens near sunset) ..... well now you and your crew are slowly being surrounded, by a horde, being called, just before dark .....

Edit:
and as a after thought i can tie in sooooo many other suggestions in ..... so many

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
hmmmm .....

follow me for a min.

assume there are no radios, or they are rare. so no weather reports or reports are limited to a very few.
and let us assume there is weather, and if we are on an island it might be hurricane like from time to time (seasons ..... omfg devs add seasons :) )

so a group of survivors were out looting the small city or w/e ..... and the weather starts to shift, the siren goes off (and oh crap this time it happens near sunset) ..... well now you and your crew are slowly being surrounded, by a horde, being called, just before dark .....

Edit:
and as a after thought i can tie in sooooo many other suggestions in ..... so many
Hehe my first thought reading this was, imagine zeds being flung around due to a tornado... you come out your shelter after the tornado hit and the place is covered in zeds, all over the yard, the roof... damn... even in the pool :D

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
They could also add buldable sirens, I saw a simple one made out of wood on doomsday preppers. Here is a wooden siren hooked up to a motor.

The doomsday preppers one was really similar but it had a hand crank to spin the wood instead of the motor in the pic.

The could add bulky craftable sirens that players could use to either warn other players or to draw zombies torwards them(or away from them). You could either hold it like a weapon and crank it with the fire button or you could use a motorized version that you could just drop on the ground and activate.

Imagine attaching a motorized siren on your car at night causing every zombie in the nearby area to follow you. You could funnel a lot of zombies towards a enemy base or attempt to lead them off a cliff like a bunch of lemmings.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Christ that sounds like the begginging of a nighmare right before the people wearing bloody bunny costumes wielding kitchen knives and axes come out of the mist. If I heard that in the game I wouldn't know weather to find a safe place or just crawl into the nearest corner.

I would definitley like to hear that or something similar ingame.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Christ that sounds like the begginging of a nighmare right before the people wearing bloody bunny costumes wielding kitchen knives and axes come out of the mist. If I heard that in the game I wouldn't know weather to find a safe place or just crawl into the nearest corner.

I would definitley like to hear that or something similar ingame.
Haha right? They should put it in the silent hill replica town off in the farthest corner of the map. Have it always surrounded in fog and those sirens play at random intervals signaling tornados or something else...

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah a lot of people have wanted caves/mines so all you need is a semi rural town and a coal mine, add a siren and boom silent hill easter egg. Also something cool that a lot of people don't know is that silent hill was a real town, the real version of silent hill is a town called Centralia in Pennsylvania. The coal mine caught fire in 1962 and has been burrning ever since, although people didn't start leaving till the 80's and 90's.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

I would def like a silent hill inspired town, they could have it be a fairly dangerious location due to the leaking carbon monoxide, it would add some reasons for gasmasks and other protective equipment. It would be interesting spotting the smoke from the town off in the distance ingame, then making your way to the town and seeing it covered in smoke and zombies.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Yeah a lot of people have wanted caves/mines so all you need is a semi rural town and a coal mine, add a siren and boom silent hill easter egg. Also something cool that a lot of people don't know is that silent hill was a real town, the real version of silent hill is a town called Centralia in Pennsylvania. The coal mine caught fire in 1962 and has been burrning ever since, although people didn't start leaving till the 80's and 90's.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

I would def like a silent hill inspired town, they could have it be a fairly dangerious location due to the leaking carbon monoxide, it would add some reasons for gasmasks and other protective equipment. It would be interesting spotting the smoke from the town off in the distance ingame, then making your way to the town and seeing it covered in smoke and zombies.
I've known about that town for awhile just not it's link with the Silent Hill franchise. To go over the top, it would be cool if you didn't wear a gas mask that you would hallucinate and see "things" haha. Though I like this idea, it's logical and not out of the question as an island with a coal mine isn't too unheard of I believe. It would serve as a means for the island to be self sufficient so doubt many wouldn't jump at the opportunity. This also opens up the possibility of more story, could have news articles about the mine before and after it caught fire.