• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Skills - speed of performing crafts and other operations

Thread starter #1

Lethargica

Backer
When performing a particular set of movements repeatedly on a daily basis in real life, the body adapts such that you gradually begin to become better and better at those same movements. And the more often you don't do those movements (skipping days), your performance for them slowly decrease. What if we implement skill into STN where things like crafting times (for particular or sets of items), reload speed (for each weapon), item retrieval speed, etc increases everyday the more you do them?

In real life, this improvement speed is kind of logarithmic. Let's say something takes X seconds to craft, and everyday, that crafting speed is boosted to X - (1/2)*log10(n+1) seconds, where n is the number of days, and if you skip a day, just reduce n by 1. So if it took 5 seconds to craft a shotgun+torch, and you crafted it at least once daily for:
1 days: 4.85 seconds
7 days: 4.55 seconds
14 days: 4.41 seconds
100 days: 4.00 seconds
It can be capped to a minimum possible time if you think an exaggerated case is possible, and if you think it is too fast/slow, just divide log10 or n by something.
Imagine this being implemented for reloading time for weapons, too. In high pressure situations, you could have earned yourself an edge in a fight whether it is being cornered by zombies, or in a gunfight with another player. Or even, help prepare things for the seasons faster.
This would be a fairly subtle (but realistic) feature to STN, but seeing that you guys have even chosen to have dynamic day/night time cycles judged by seasons/weather, this would be a really nice treat too!

EDIT: A simpler alternative is to just depend this on mental state, health, or hunger.

EDIT #2: Same idea can be applied to the accuracy of weapons, which will make fighting favor the experienced. Also, I think a nicer and more general form of the equation I've given would be X - (2.0/X)*log10(n+1) seconds

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Like anything you do... the more you do, it becomes second nature. The only thing that I don't see making sense would be it effecting the firearms degradability... at first it sounds right, but if your faster and harder at swinging a melee weapon the weapon would wear out quicker... weapon degrading system, now that is another topic :p

But besides that, the general idea of getting better at things through repeated practice/use makes sense and if/when traits/career skills are added would impact this also, as some people are not the brightest of bulb's, clumsy and some seem to have a natural talent for things :D
Muscle memory... I like it.

Last edited:
Moderator #3

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I like this a lot.

Works perfect with the whole "Old school leveling" where the more you do a certain thing, the better you get at doing it... which could mean that say you do a lot of cooking, that your cook times could be quicker, or that you yield more food, or less of a chance of sickness when cooking, or a combination of several or all of these as the character levels.

Leveling in a game like this, IMO, will add a whole new dynamic that we haven't really seen in the other open world survival games, other than say, Project Zomboid.