• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Sleep depravation?

Sleep depravation - yay or nay?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
Just throwing this out there, I'm not sure it has been suggested, if so, I apologize..

I think sleep depravation should be added in the game, as a complement to the mental stability system. Countless studies have proven that a severe lack of sleep will drive people insane, and sleep depravation is also used as a form of "torture" to gain intel. So I thought it would be nice to have that in the game.

For example, we could start hallucinating things or hearing sounds that are not there if our character has gone 3-4 days without sleep - but nothing that would have us commit suicide, leave that for the bandits and KOS'ers. That would also prevent people from playing 24/7 looting everything in sight. They'd have to stop for at least, I dunno, 2-3 hours per real 24 hours? Basically, our characters would have to sleep a minimum of 4 hours per game-day to have 0 depravation and be 100% healthy in the sleep department.

Something like that... thoughts?

PS: I realize this could be more detailed, but I'm at work and had the idea pop in my head, so I put it here right away.

Thread starter #3

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
Sleeping could be when you log off (a-la Rust)... so we'd have to log off for an hour or two everyday (every real life day, that is). Basically, have a system where we can't be on the server 24 hours straight. That puts working people at a disadvantage to people on welfare and kiddos. lol

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
I don't think sleeping will be in the game, but I know that the calorie system can affect your character.

Attachments

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
Sleeping could be when you log off (a-la Rust)... so we'd have to log off for an hour or two everyday (every real life day, that is). Basically, have a system where we can't be on the server 24 hours straight. That puts working people at a disadvantage to people on welfare and kiddos. lol
I like the idea that the character rests when I'm not on. But I would like there to be perks and not just a penalty like a short half hour stamina boost for being week rested or maybe gain a small bit of health something use full that would be difficult to take advantage

Moderator #6

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
If I recall, if was decided that sleep would not be in game, as it is too hard to properly implement in multiplayer.

I personally work like 50 hours a week, and have a family... So, when I have the time to play, I want to play, not spend half of my gaming time logged out so my character can sleep.

I like the immersive factor of sleeping, but there is no real good way to do it. The way Rust did it was pretty silly really, and DayZ Mod you could go to sleep (which was like a minute or less in game) and you'd recover all of your health, which is also silly.

Basically, IMO you have to draw the line somewhere between what would actually work well in a game vs realism.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
I saw a suggestion on the steam forums, for another survival game.

If you sleep, you sleep for 30-60 seconds real time, the time on the server continues at the same pace, so there are no time skips for for other players. The only affect it would have on the player sleeping, would be loss of 30-60 seconds play time, slight increase in health, your characters hunger/calories and thirst would be affected, as if you had actually slept for 6-8 hours.

Moderator #8

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I don't mind that so much, except I'd rather see something like... 1 minute of sleep equates to 1 hour of sleep. So, taking a 4-6hr nap would take 4-6 minutes in game, which isn't a ton of time (could use that time to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, etc... IRL) but still leaves you susceptible for some time.

Thread starter #9

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
I too work at least 40 hours per week, and the whole point of the idea was to not have people being able to play 24 hours per day and leave us working people in the dust as far as looting and setting up a home goes.. Also, it's good to get up and go outside once in a while.. some games even remind you to shut it down and go outside... this would've been a way to accomplish just that without having to pop a message on screen telling you to go outside or stop for a few minutes. I do like the 1 min = 1 hour sleep thing though.. as @DemoCar82 said, that's enough time to do something else without having our guy just standing there or having to log out.

Thread starter #10

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
If I recall, if was decided that sleep would not be in game, as it is too hard to properly implement in multiplayer.

I personally work like 50 hours a week, and have a family... So, when I have the time to play, I want to play, not spend half of my gaming time logged out so my character can sleep.

I like the immersive factor of sleeping, but there is no real good way to do it. The way Rust did it was pretty silly really, and DayZ Mod you could go to sleep (which was like a minute or less in game) and you'd recover all of your health, which is also silly.

Basically, IMO you have to draw the line somewhere between what would actually work well in a game vs realism.
Well if you're not online for a while, your guy would have been sleeping for a long while.. no need for you to sleep in the 8-10 hours you will be playing. There is no way you'd log on and your guy would say "I need a nap now." I was thinking more like our guy could get sleepy after 12 hours of playing straight.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I don't mind that so much, except I'd rather see something like... 1 minute of sleep equates to 1 hour of sleep. So, taking a 4-6hr nap would take 4-6 minutes in game, which isn't a ton of time (could use that time to use the bathroom, get a drink or snack, etc... IRL) but still leaves you susceptible for some time.
I like this, especially with a day/night cycle that will (hopefully) be at least 3+ hours, a short break every now and then wouldn't hurt.

One idea I had regarding sleep since reading that sneaking thread would be when you sleep, your screen goes entirely black, and to wake up you have to press some button/move or something, so if you're sleeping in some shed near some big town, you'd probably have to pay attention to sounds and "wake up" to react to player activity. Incentive to find/make a little hideout/shelter.
With this, the amount of sleep could also determine what "state" you wake up in. If you get interrupted after 2-3 hours sleep, upon waking up you'll be temporarily groggy/uncoordinated/trouble seeing etc. Getting 6-8 hours after going through all the stages of sleep, waking up clearly and alert.
I can't be the only one who would find shit like that cool.

your characters hunger/calories and thirst would be affected, as if you had actually slept for 6-8 hours.
Also agree with this.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this, especially with a day/night cycle that will (hopefully) be at least 3+ hours, a short break every now and then wouldn't hurt.

One idea I had regarding sleep since reading that sneaking thread would be when you sleep, your screen goes entirely black, and to wake up you have to press some button/move or something, so if you're sleeping in some shed near some big town, you'd probably have to pay attention to sounds and "wake up" to react to player activity. Incentive to find/make a little hideout/shelter.
With this, the amount of sleep could also determine what "state" you wake up in. If you get interrupted after 2-3 hours sleep, upon waking up you'll be temporarily groggy/uncoordinated/trouble seeing etc. Getting 6-8 hours after going through all the stages of sleep, waking up clearly and alert.
I can't be the only one who would find shit like that cool.

Also agree with this.
Hehe I said the same (not as articulate as you) in another thread...*thumbs up*

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Managed to find the info I saw on Steam, it was from The Long Dark forums, which is a single player only game, but the community was discussing making it co-op/multiplayer, and how to solve the cooking/sleeping/time lapse issue. Steam user Mycrofts info -

'I have been thinking about how to fix the desync issue concerning the advancedment of time, and the only way to do that is to have the global timer take charge of the day/night cycle only while simulatng the personal action timer for cooking, sleeping, and etc, meaning beinging it down to a more personal level.

What I mean is, if I was playing online with four other people, and I started to cook meat, I would have to wait the time needed to cook the meat but it wouldn't affect the other players in the game world or advance the world timer in anyway, but it would affect me personally as far as calories burned, thirst, exposure to the cold, and etc.

If I needed to sleep, I would sleep but it wouldn't advance the world time, I would of course benefit from the sleep even though nothing else has changed in the world.

Day, and Night cycles would be bound to a predetermined value such as one real hour of game time would equal twelve hours of in game time this way everyone is synched.

I'm just thinking here guys, I have no coding experience whatsoever so there is a pretty good chance of me talking out of my behind..'

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Managed to find the info I saw on Steam, it was from The Long Dark forums, which is a single player only game, but the community was discussing making it co-op/multiplayer, and how to solve the cooking/sleeping/time lapse issue. Steam user Mycrofts info -

'I have been thinking about how to fix the desync issue concerning the advancedment of time, and the only way to do that is to have the global timer take charge of the day/night cycle only while simulatng the personal action timer for cooking, sleeping, and etc, meaning beinging it down to a more personal level.

What I mean is, if I was playing online with four other people, and I started to cook meat, I would have to wait the time needed to cook the meat but it wouldn't affect the other players in the game world or advance the world timer in anyway, but it would affect me personally as far as calories burned, thirst, exposure to the cold, and etc.

If I needed to sleep, I would sleep but it wouldn't advance the world time, I would of course benefit from the sleep even though nothing else has changed in the world.

Day, and Night cycles would be bound to a predetermined value such as one real hour of game time would equal twelve hours of in game time this way everyone is synched.

I'm just thinking here guys, I have no coding experience whatsoever so there is a pretty good chance of me talking out of my behind..'
Seems like the same conclusion or theory that has merged here to do such a thing without effecting other players and not loose the need for the mechanic :)... i'm sure they'll think long and hard about it, if not it's not a major feature (in my eye's) :)

Moderator #15

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I'm not too sure how well this may work... if it isn't affecting other players then it really isn't immersive at all, for me anyway. I feel that the multi-player part of these games is just that... If we're in a group, and one or two people in the group need to cook, eat, sleep, etc... then we all have to wait for the food to cook, people to take a nap, etc. Being in a group and someone sleeping or cooking without it affecting how I do things just seems strange to me.

A little more explanation of how The Long Dark wants to do it may be needed before I can put much more of an opinion on it.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
I'm not too sure how well this may work... if it isn't affecting other players then it really isn't immersive at all, for me anyway. I feel that the multi-player part of these games is just that... If we're in a group, and one or two people in the group need to cook, eat, sleep, etc... then we all have to wait for the food to cook, people to take a nap, etc. Being in a group and someone sleeping or cooking without it affecting how I do things just seems strange to me.

A little more explanation of how The Long Dark wants to do it may be needed before I can put much more of an opinion on it.
I don't think the Long Dark are going to do it, I think they want to keep it single player, and it is an awesome immersive game already, in my opinion.

It could be a server option in StN I suppose, but will ultimately depend on if the devs add a sleep function or not. Could always be added as a mod, if mods will be a thing.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I'm sorta lost on what that TLD guy was talking about.. Just sounds like a super convoluted version of what we're saying.

EDIT: Gotcha, strategos

Last edited:
Moderator #19

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I don't think the Long Dark are going to do it, I think they want to keep it single player, and it is an awesome immersive game already, in my opinion.

It could be a server option in StN I suppose, but will ultimately depend on if the devs add a sleep function or not. Could always be added as a mod, if mods will be a thing.
Yeah, for what it is, I really like TLD, more than many other open world survival games as of late.

PlastomaGaming

Plastoma or Quentin please
Backer
If sleeping is added ever it would be awesome to have this effect your aim.