• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Small Calibers in Large Caliber Weapons

Thread starter #1

Applejaxc

Backer
Can it be made possible for weapons to fire smaller calibers at the cost of increased degradation rates? Like Russian 7.62x25 (I think) can be fired from an M1911A1 a few times before the weapon jams. The caliber is weak enough that it doesn't work the blowback action and fails to cock the weapon after each shot. Or .223 fired from a 5.56mm weapon (or the other way around?) is possible, but the opposite isn't. .40S&W can be passed through a 10mm weapon, but the opposite doesn't work.
I'm not an expert on firearms, but I do know this is possible, and I know it's bad for long-term health. If this idea isn't good, why not (and I know this has been suggested but merits placement here) the ability to change parts? A glock in .40S&W can have a 9mm barrel dropped in without many tools, making practice cheaper and easier.

Also, make it possible to load the wrong calibre into a weapon (as long as the chamber is large enough). Inexperienced will ruin their newfound weapons trying to pass 5.56mm through a .22 hunting rifle. It will be hilarious.

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
.556 can fire .223 but not the other way around. Has to do with the shoulders on the shells.

Though the idea of using the wrong caliber ruining a gun is a great idea!

Thread starter #3

Applejaxc

Backer
.556 can fire .223 but not the other way around. Has to do with the shoulders on the shells.

Though the idea of using the wrong caliber ruining a gun is a great idea!
So I was right about which did which. Thank you for helping confirm.

Thread starter #5

Applejaxc

Backer

Thank you.

I do have an addendum for the opening post about what calibre I thought fit where:

7.62x17 (used in Chinese "Norinco"-brand pistols) is very close in size (but much weaker) than .38 Auto, meaning (hypothetically) a .380 Auto pistol could (potentially) use 7.62x17 ammunition if (and this is a big if) its operating mechanize will cycle while using underpowered ammunition (7.62x17 is weaker than .380, so recoil-driven or gas mechanisms may fail if it isn't strong enough).

Of course here in the glorious US of A no one carries specialty special-operations chinese ammunition. I think I could order a box of 5.8mm rifle rounds (used in the Chinese Norinco QBZ Type 95 assault rifle), which are similar in size to 5.56mm, for like 5+ times the price and that's only because Norinco tried exporting a semi-auto version of their god-awfully hideous rifle on the civilian market. I can't imagine how difficult and expensive it would be for a civilian to purchase 7.62x17 or how expensive and illegal it would be to get a Type 67 or Type 80 machine pistol (the T67 is a tube with a handle attached that's an assassination/elimination of guards/sentries-type pistol used by Chinese commandos, and the Type 80 is a German Mauser "Broom-Handle" knock-off with an automatic setting. The first requires an insane number of special ownership licenses; I don't know what it takes to own an automatic weapon in the USA. The only other options, the T77 and T84, are hold-outs with no real use)

But what WOULD be cool to own is a OTs-30 Gnom, a Russian revolver that fires 12.5mm slugs, or the DOG, which fire 32 gauge shotgun shells.

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
i love this idea and it adds usefulness to some weapons with rare ammo like the 357 magnum which can fire 9mm ammo

Thread starter #7

Applejaxc

Backer
i love this idea and it adds usefulness to some weapons with rare ammo like the 357 magnum which can fire 9mm ammo
Do you know if 9mm will sit in a .357 cylinder? I've never tried it but I've always thought that if you tipped the gun too far forward, all of the exposed chambers would have their bullets falling out.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I don't have any full 9mm rounds but I have a bunch of spent casing's and the least deformed (in pretty good shape) one I have barely enters the cylinder, I think the bullet case expands a bit but I put a spent .357 casing in the cylinder and it fit so I don't know. I think .357's might be able to fire .38 special shells they are basically the same except for length.
http://www.sff.net/people/sanders/ammo.jpg