• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Smoking and Alcohol

Thread starter #1

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer
So, realistically in a post-apocalyptic world there would be those who need to take the edge off. I realize this is a fairly sensitive subject when it comes to games, which is why I haven't mentioned more illegal substances even though drugs and drug abuse would probably remain a problem post-apocalypse. Still we don't want the game having to take a Fallout-Australia approach so let's ignore more hardcore drugs.
So I suggest this:

Cigarettes-
These could be used to maintain a sanity level and allow for people with low sanity levels to not go completely ballistic. However, to dissuade players from simply killing and smoking, smoking several cigarettes could form an addiction with side effects including shaking hands making it harder to aim and even eventual death from prolonged smoking.

Alcohol:
Alcohol is a part of human life and will exist even if there were an apocalypse. Players should be able to find different alcohol throughout the map and even have the option to distill and brew their own, provided they can build the equipment and obtain the needed resources.
Alcohol would provide the similar effect of cigarettes in that drinking it would level or raise sanity, it would also provide hydration. Although, have too much of the devil's drink and the player could find themselves drunk and having clouded vision or even sick to the point of vomiting causing them to gain more hunger and dehydration, so drink in moderation kiddies.
I think it'd be interesting if implemented and I'd love to see pubs or taverns being operated by someone wanting to extort some bandits with booze.

Thread starter #3

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
its alright i just put it out to see how people would react i know they liked the smoking idea and booze a lot so the more attention the better :p

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
the first one that was just random stuff with meds and addiction was done at the start and never moved over the medical items i put in the items section to try and keep it organized but only got about 8 views, no need to apologize we all friends

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
Love this idea, it'd add so much depth to the game. Can't wait to open a pub now c:

*snip*

Alcohol would provide the similar effect of cigarettes in that drinking it would level or raise sanity, it would also provide hydration.
*snip*
Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it dehydrates you, so it'd be a terrible thing to drink when thirsty. Sorry, I had to. :v

Last edited:

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
Love this idea, it'd add so much depth to the game. Can't wait to open a pub now c:

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it dehydrates you, so it'd be a terrible thing to drink when thirsty. Sorry, I had to.
Wow i cant believe i missed that hydration fact bad medic bad

Its needed for multiple things
For instance....

Purifying wounds to prevent infection

Or getting trashed because you are alone in the zombie infested world and want to forget everything
( with getting trashed of course is the drunken vision and lack of mobility! )

You could make Molotovs with them as well

and many other things..

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Great ideas above :)

Cigarettes and Alcohol apart from all the good times and bad times you can have with it, it's probably the only true form of currency if cash was obsolete...

I smoke but I don't drink, jesus imagine me drunk :eek:... so I have wondered before that if the SHTF so to speak then these two commodities (one for me) would be the best thing to trade... what do you guys think?

+1

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Great ideas above :)

Cigarettes and Alcohol apart from all the good times and bad times you can have with it, it's probably the only true form of currency if cash was obsolete...

I smoke but I don't drink, jesus imagine me drunk :eek:... so I have wondered before that if the SHTF so to speak then these two commodities (one for me) would be the best thing to trade... what do you guys think?

+1
Very true! That's a form a currency I wouldnt mind but still dont want!

I think these two additions to the game are a great one. Along with positive (stress and anxiety releaver) there should be the negatives. Hangovers, dehydration, reduced max stamina and blurred vision.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Very true! That's a form a currency I wouldnt mind but still dont want!

I think these two additions to the game are a great one. Along with positive (stress and anxiety releaver) there should be the negatives. Hangovers, dehydration, reduced max stamina and blurred vision.
I am with you on that, I too don't want any form of "forced" currency... with how the devs and community think alike it's probably going to be on a survivor-to-survivor basis on what is traded but besides the effects these have it's most likely what I personally would use to trade with others...

Funny how it would take the complete breakdown of civilization to get me to quit smoking :rolleyes:

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I am with you on that, I too don't want any form of "forced" currency... with how the devs and community think alike it's probably going to be on a survivor-to-survivor basis on what is traded but besides the effects these have it's most likely what I personally would use to trade with others...

Funny how it would take the complete breakdown of civilization to get me to quit smoking :rolleyes:
Like I tell my wife, Ill quite when I'm dead!

Don't see a problem for pot in game as I'm from Australia soon to be legal for medical use could be used for similar effects take the edge off with almost no negative side effects other then shit aim or increased hunger but be extremely rare

Davz Not Here

Backer
Don't see a problem for pot in game as I'm from Australia soon to be legal for medical use could be used for similar effects take the edge off with almost no negative side effects other then shit aim or increased hunger but be extremely rare
this has already been addressed, the devs said "no" (and this may change as laws / cultural bias do)
there are several threads in the archives where this has come up and been addressed .... i argued for it myself .....

hemp may be in though