• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Smoking and Alcohol

Bottles of liquor could be looted and with a bit of cloth and a match or lighter be used as a Molotov Cocktail as mentioned above by @Amnesia

Andy

IGN: BadgerHobbs
Backer
It would be cool if there could be cigarettes in STN which would reduce mental problems that your character might have however it could have lasting effects to both your characters health and stamina. It would be interesting if players would choose health over sanity or what choice they make.
:mad::cool::D:)

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
Another use of cigarettes is as a slow burn fuse.
When I used to make big bangers and fire crackers as a pyromaniac teenager I would slide a lit cigarette over the fuse from the butt end upward. This gave plenty of time to run away and watch from a safe distance as the cherry of the cigarette made its way to the fuse (typically a couple of minutes dependant on size of ciggi or how far you slid the fuse in).... in STN you could do the same to delay something like a stick of tnt or similar improvised explosive.

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
Yes to both! Especially the latter can be used in so many ways. Disinfectant, molotov and so on.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
So, realistically in a post-apocalyptic world there would be those who need to take the edge off. I realize this is a fairly sensitive subject when it comes to games, which is why I haven't mentioned more illegal substances even though drugs and drug abuse would probably remain a problem post-apocalypse. Still we don't want the game having to take a Fallout-Australia approach so let's ignore more hardcore drugs.
So I suggest this:

Cigarettes-
These could be used to maintain a sanity level and allow for people with low sanity levels to not go completely ballistic. However, to dissuade players from simply killing and smoking, smoking several cigarettes could form an addiction with side effects including shaking hands making it harder to aim and even eventual death from prolonged smoking.

Alcohol:
Alcohol is a part of human life and will exist even if there were an apocalypse. Players should be able to find different alcohol throughout the map and even have the option to distill and brew their own, provided they can build the equipment and obtain the needed resources.
Alcohol would provide the similar effect of cigarettes in that drinking it would level or raise sanity, it would also provide hydration. Although, have too much of the devil's drink and the player could find themselves drunk and having clouded vision or even sick to the point of vomiting causing them to gain more hunger and dehydration, so drink in moderation kiddies.
I think it'd be interesting if implemented and I'd love to see pubs or taverns being operated by someone wanting to extort some bandits with booze.
[Disclaimer - I am still a smoker and used to drink heavily]
I don't think we should be condoning any form of smoking in the game [takes a quick puff himself...]
Alcohol might be a different story.
As per many of the posts above, it's use as a weapon or disinfectant would work.
Perhaps you could even craft a still?
But although it would make the game more realistic, I think bringing up ideas of addiction in the game might be just a little too dark.

Handicap Jack

Backer
[Disclaimer - I am still a smoker and used to drink heavily]
I don't think we should be condoning any form of smoking in the game [takes a quick puff himself...]
Alcohol might be a different story.
As per many of the posts above, it's use as a weapon or disinfectant would work.
Perhaps you could even craft a still?
But although it would make the game more realistic, I think bringing up ideas of addiction in the game might be just a little too dark.
I agree to not having an addiction system for drugs of any kind in the vanilla game. There will be modded servers that will no doubt implement these things which will be fine and though I cant stand 12 year olds on the Arma life servers being "bad mans" doing the drug thing I can see stn mods doing a good job of poppy farms etc like the tv series "into the badlands"

Blo0DxSh0T

Survivor
Backer
this has already been addressed, the devs said "no" (and this may change as laws / cultural bias do)
there are several threads in the archives where this has come up and been addressed .... i argued for it myself .....

hemp may be in though
Well the game is supposed to be set in Canada isn't it? or am i wrong? If it is we are soon gonna have legal recreational so it should be in game hahahaha . sorry had to lol

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well the game is supposed to be set in Canada isn't it? or am i wrong? If it is we are soon gonna have legal recreational so it should be in game hahahaha . sorry had to lol
Are you getting confused with "The Long Dark" - that's set in Canada?
I think from the initial post in the 'player created lore' https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/player-created-lore.8136/ that the Dev.s are trying to keep this game geographically non-descript and time independent :)

@Davz Not Here - I'm rather glad this won't be in the vanilla release

Blo0DxSh0T

Survivor
Backer
AH..I haven't read through the lore posts yet. I just remember seeing it on a post a while back someone asked where it was set and was told canada..forget what post that was as it was awhile ago

Biff

Survivor
Backer
just want to say i would love to have these in game. the ability to have your character either smoke a joint/cig to relax and maybe it turns up environment sounds slightly? or drinking alcohol and it maybe allows you to take more punches/makes every boston song sound fucking awesome and forces your character to do an air drum emote.. i dunno.. i think incorporating smoking/drinking and adding benefits/sacrifices would be a pretty amazing addition if done right.

edit * the air drumming emote was a joke.. for the record, i don't want to get drunk in game and air drum to boston songs

That0neGuy

That One Guy that did that one thing >.>
Backer
+1 for the cigarettes and maybe an addition with a cigar ;) Who wouldn't love to walk around smoking a cigar killing a few zeds? Besides, all that hard work fortifying and one could use a smoke or two after :D

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
+1 for the cigarettes and maybe an addition with a cigar ;) Who wouldn't love to walk around smoking a cigar killing a few zeds? Besides, all that hard work fortifying and one could use a smoke or two after :D
And possibly one might like a little something 'refreshing' as well.
But I still think we should stay away from promoting both in the game.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I definitely don't think there should be any type of addiction, but I do think that cigars/cigarettes and beer/wine could be fine additions. Cigars/cigarettes are something you would see a lot in a real apocalypse, and with as realistic as this is meant to be, could be an interesting addition, just for the sake of realism and maybe for Roleplaying. Although beer/wine could have the same things, but with a few gameplay mechanics, such as Molotovs, and the bottle could be used as a weapon.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
OK, I'll get a bit personal here.
I'm a smoker, and an alcoholic in remission. 18/12/2012 was my last drink. I still smoke, and often enjoy a pipe full of black cherry in my 14" crocked church warden pipe.
So I've 'skin in the game' here.
I don't want to see this mechanic in the game. We should not promote drinking of smoking. END OF.
Alcohol as a disinfectant, well that fine.

Handicap Jack

Backer
Please dont think I am being a dick dr J as its not the intention and well done on being sober now for so long. But this is an adult themed game and so its not unreasonable for people to want or expect adult themed things in game. Again please dont think this is an attack, its merely me continuing the convo, I had PTSD and still suffer with it on occaission, I love survival games but gunshots can have a serious negative effect on me, its just part of the game experience I have had to accept as it is tailored for the massess.

Incoming pun alert*** On a "lighter" side maybe we could get a skill to whittle things in game... wouldnt mind giving a pipe a go! And things like that may be an excellent trading commodity.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well there @Handicap Jack, your points are well made. I think we ought to discuss this more.
You're quite right. It's an adult themed game. Zombies, terror, blood and gore. The whole nine yards.
But because of my background, I have my own views on certain game mechanics. I guess you [and everyone else] do as well.
We won't get our 'perfect game' at the get go. But if we all continue to work with the Dev team, you know, it might be close.
I have a very thick skin - you probably do as well. PTSD is not a well supported or understood condition.

Witting? Now there's something I'd like to see in the game. How would we learn the skill, what could we make? Would it be in the crafting menu?

Handicap Jack

Backer
I am relieved you didnt take my comment badly Dr.J and as it was meant :)
Yup, its never going to tick all boxes and will have some things some people in the community will find questionable... I remember way back when resident evil had green blood in some of the game versions over seas as red was too realistic!

As far as the whittling goes I will do a quick search on here and if I dont find a dedicated post will make one as to not derail this one.

On point to this thread though and an oppinion you may even be able to get behind is I feel that alcohol, if implimented in game, shouldnt become an addictive substance. My reasoning behind this is that the devs have already said illegal (and by extension addictive) drugs wont be added AND my view is that anyone in this apocolyptic world that easilly gets addicted would inevitably be weeded out / desensitised by / hardened to or simply forced to go cold turkey due to limited supply... so pointless putting in an addiction mechanic. Further more, if booze and tobaco arent of any secondary use and only used for RP it would be a very easily ignorable in game item. Like tincture, books and schoolbags in DayZ.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I am relieved you didnt take my comment badly Dr.J and as it was meant :)
Yup, its never going to tick all boxes and will have some things some people in the community will find questionable... I remember way back when resident evil had green blood in some of the game versions over seas as red was too realistic!

As far as the whittling goes I will do a quick search on here and if I dont find a dedicated post will make one as to not derail this one.

On point to this thread though and an oppinion you may even be able to get behind is I feel that alcohol, if implimented in game, shouldnt become an addictive substance. My reasoning behind this is that the devs have already said illegal (and by extension addictive) drugs wont be added AND my view is that anyone in this apocolyptic world that easilly gets addicted would inevitably be weeded out / desensitised by / hardened to or simply forced to go cold turkey due to limited supply... so pointless putting in an addiction mechanic. Further more, if booze and tobaco arent of any secondary use and only used for RP it would be a very easily ignorable in game item. Like tincture, books and schoolbags in DayZ.
I have no objection to tobacco and alcohol being in the game. I just don't think the game should 'promote' the use of them. I haven't played DayZ myself (I've been 'saving' myself for STN!)