• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Smoking and Alcohol

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
I think promoting smoking and alcohol is obviously wrong, and there are stricter regulations in place now in the UK for the sale and promotion of both(dunno about elsewhere in the world though). But as in game items, if balanced correctly, I wouldn't have an issue with either.

Alcohol - Can lower stress, but too much has negative impact on characters, over time excessive consumption could lead to reduced HP/Health, Stamina, Skills & even Mental Health or whatever other stats will be in the game. This would negate the need for an addiction system, as anyone using in game alcohol to maintain their mental health, would soon find their character under powered(?)

Things like aiming and stuff could also be affected, gun maintenance effectiveness reduced, so anyone using alcohol to keep mental health up for KoS/PvP only, would find it much harder.

Smoking - Similar to alcohol, with the reduction in stats over time, possibility to get ill/infections, smokers cough(can't be sneaky if you busting a lung) etc, which would lower your stats again.

So, after a hard day of chopping down trees, foraging, fortifying, and possibly taking a hit to your mental health(we will know more how it will actually work in the coming months), a couple of beers and a smoke at the end of the day, why not? But over do it, and have your characters stats penalised.

Everything in moderation.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
@Handicap Jack and @strategos2411 both make valid points. As 'game mechanics' both smoking and alcohol are interesting ideas.
But I will stand firm here.
I don't believe the game should include them.
That's just me. I'd be very interested to hear other comments.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Cigarettes do have survival uses.
  • The filter ends can be used as makeshift water filters.
  • Wet tobacco can serve as a painkiller for bug bites/stings and small wounds (it can also help control bleeding on small wounds)
  • Fire tinder
  • Pesticide, put tobacco in a spray bottle full of water and spray it on your plants.

As far as alcohol goes, plenty of games have drinking in them (Fallout series, GTA series, Witcher series, WoW & other MMORPG's, etc...).

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
I ignored this thread for a while now but after reading I see that it's actually a pretty cool idea. I don't know but it just kinds seems weird to me in STN, other than that, great ideas!

Biff

Survivor
Backer
@Handicap Jack and @strategos2411 both make valid points. As 'game mechanics' both smoking and alcohol are interesting ideas.
But I will stand firm here.
I don't believe the game should include them.
That's just me. I'd be very interested to hear other comments.
my opinion is that they should be in the game if we're going for a realistic survival game. i understand why you personally wouldn't want that and i can feel for ya, bud, but honestly if i was in this survival scenario and i was ragged,beat up , bruised and tired and i stumbled across a bottle of whiskey in a house you better believe i would take it with me to calm my nerves.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Having a 'smoke' or a bit of a 'chug' might help survivors out, I'm not against that in the game.
I just don't think either should be promoted.

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
Just to clarify things Dr.J, what do you mean by not wanting them promoted? As in; not in the game with no mention or in the game but without any positive mechanics in place when you top up your hip flask?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I could sure go for a Tamarack stogie right about now...

I'm also a bit confused about the thought of promoting... it would only seem like they are promoting the idea of drinking or smoking if it comes a requirement due to addiction but like @Handicap Jack said, removing the addiction makes more sense. Much like being a psychopath anyone with these high tendancys would not last near as long as someone who has the self-will to moderate/control themselves.

So with no addiction it would not seem like they are promoting it... more a personal choice to have it.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Just to clarify things Dr.J, what do you mean by not wanting them promoted? As in; not in the game with no mention or in the game but without any positive mechanics in place when you top up your hip flask?
Interesting question there @Handicap Jack ...
As you've previously mentioned, this is a adult themed game. Weather we like it or not, smoking and drinking are part of the adult world. All part of the choices we make from day to day.
If these are options in the game, then I'm happy with that.
There could be positive impacts to a players mental health by being having a 'quick puff' or a 'sniffter'.
So basically, I don't want to see these options as 'core' game mechanics.
Bring them in? Fine. But only as extraneous additions.

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
Oh I dont think anyone would want to see this as core gameplay mate. Given the size of the dev team I highly doubt, even if they had intended to, that they'd devote any hours into a piss up simulator.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Oh I dont think anyone would want to see this as core gameplay mate. Given the size of the dev team I highly doubt, even if they had intended to, that they'd devote any hours into a piss up simulator.
I have to agree there - a small Dev team, and a 'shed load' of stuff left for them to do. If smoking and drinking come to the game, then that's OK with me.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
If it does, I think it'll definitely be awhile. Core gameplay will be gotten to a decent level before they work on adding in more extra roleplay content(Considering this Roleplay content) Btw I hope there are official roleplay servers in the future, that'd be where you find me :p

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I did a post about this too but Mod blocked it.
Its an important idea and needs to be passed on.
Moderators are trying to keep the STN forums as clean as possible :) you can always add your opinions and new thoughts on this idea on an older thread and rejuvenate the discussion :)

Moderator #57

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I did a post about this too but Mod blocked it.
Its an important idea and needs to be passed on.
It isn't that it has been "blocked" per-se, but we do try to keep the forums clean and recommend to use a search topic and add any thoughts/ideas and opinions to an already active forum thread. This consolidates ideas and keeps the forums tidy, along with giving the devs themselves one main topic to read and pull ideas from, rather than sifting through multiple topics with a couple posts each.