• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Some different types of shops

Thread starter #1

Kipper

Backer
Being me, I really don't know how to introduce this idea properly, so I'll get straight down to the point.
In an effort to see this game feeling more 'alive' and realistic, I personally would say that seeing a variety of shop types would be good.
I know one of the stretch goals was for an expanded (and realistic) infection system. To play into this, I believe that not all shops should simply be 'generic corner shop/supermarket #575'.
Instead, a selection of different shop types would make the setting feel like we're in actual towns which once had an active economy and actual needs/desires.

So yeah, a pharmacy for example would make sense to me. Everyone needs the medical help once in a while, some more than others, some for more specific, debilitating things than others. Having a pharmacy type shop would provide some medical loot spawn that makes sense.

Another suggestion I have of the same type actually melds into something I was going to ask the devs about regarding my backer pledge (£70 - name a street or business). I was thinking, along with the more obvious choices for shops such as normal convenience stores, what about things like ice-cream parlours? I know the setting is a more cool climate than a beach setting for example, but I reckon even a sweet shop could work out. In my opinion, it would add more flavour to the environment.

Thoughts, anyone? Perhaps my ice-cream parlour/sweet shop idea may be a bit far fetched (though I'd definitely love for a dev to lend their input on this particular one) but I imagine a pharmacy and trying to diversify types of shops available (even if they don't have unique loot or a unique layout) would help breathe some life in a dead setting (pun intended, offence not.)

DavidLeon1

Backer
So Many great ideas on this forum. Yours is Another great idea. I agree with you, more types of shops should be added to make it feel more realistic[ish].
Let just hope a Developer Sees this! :)

Also a Coffee Shop would be nice same along with a School, post office, Walmart, etc.

Thread starter #3

Kipper

Backer
So Many great ideas on this forum. Yours is Another great idea. I agree with you, more types of shops should be added to make it feel more realistic[ish].
Let just hope a Developer Sees this! :)

Also a Coffee Shop would be nice same along with a School, post office, Walmart, etc.
Exactly. Things like coffee shops, which while I can't imagine them adding much in terms of loot (unless we can loot coffee from them? Energy boost and a very minor sanity boost possibly? Hah.) but in terms of adding some real flavour to the game, yeah, absolutely.
Diversity in the setting/environment is what will make or break ANY game, not just this one.

Doesn't need to be big or fancy, doesn't need to carry a lot of unique items or even have a huge amount of unique resources from a development standpoint, just some small touches, but it makes all the difference, even if people don't appreciate it on the face of it.
The reason for that is we've become so used to seeing diversity in these games that the moment we see ourselves in a world without it, we realise what we've 'lost'.

DavidLeon1

Backer
Exactly. Things like coffee shops, which while I can't imagine them adding much in terms of loot (unless we can loot coffee from them? Energy boost and a very minor sanity boost possibly? Hah.) but in terms of adding some real flavour to the game, yeah, absolutely.
Diversity in the setting/environment is what will make or break ANY game, not just this one.

Doesn't need to be big or fancy, doesn't need to carry a lot of unique items or even have a huge amount of unique resources from a development standpoint, just some small touches, but it makes all the difference, even if people don't appreciate it on the face of it.
The reason for that is we've become so used to seeing diversity in these games that the moment we see ourselves in a world without it, we realise what we've 'lost'.
That Was a Fantastic Reply first of all. And yeah little things like coffee, School books [tutorials on how to do things] , letters [in post office], etc are a great idea. Maybe you could even take a coffee machine or certain things from stores and use them! Also the idea of adding like efficiency +15% from drinking coffee is a splendid idea.

Thread starter #5

Kipper

Backer
That Was a Fantastic Reply first of all. And yeah little things like coffee, School books [tutorials on how to do things] , letters [in post office], etc are a great idea. Maybe you could even take a coffee machine or certain things from stores and use them! Also the idea of adding like efficiency +15% from drinking coffee is a splendid idea.
Thank you, and indeed. Your mention of school books brings me to think of Project Zomoid, (a similar style survival game of an isometric nature), which has skill books. In P.Z, you level up skills by doing, just as we will in STN. Skill books don't increase your skills directly, but rather, add a multiplier to the rate at which XP is gained and is a sensible method that is easily explained.

When you do a new skill (or task) without former training, you're using the best of your creativity and common sense to gauge the proper methods. If you've got enough skill, you can make it work, but it'll be inefficient. When you've taken the time to learn from others (in this case, a book), you'll have tips and tricks that you wouldn't have otherwise known. Material to reference to ensure your methods are the best you're capable of and it'll typically make what you do quicker and/or better.
This could easily be transplanted over to STN.

Bringing in the ability to read (likely with some fluff text while your character scrolls a page or two?) wouldn't directly increase your skill, but tighten your grip on how to do things and thus give an XP multiplier for a set amount of time or until you reach the next stage.
Definitely a concrete idea.

As for the post office, I imagine that would be exceptionally easy. How? Well, modelling the building itself is no issue, and as for the letters, you could say that everyone who backed the project to such and such a pledge amount (something to give you a reasonable amount of letters to read without there being an overwhelming amount) could write their own letter (and if you named a street for example, perhaps even direct it to a house ON your street if you so choose?)
Would be great for immersion.

So just as you complimented my post, I compliment yours. Wonderful concept material that can easily inspire something such as this and be expanded on even further with ease. Nice going :)