• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Some ideas for Zombie AI and idle animations

Thread starter #1

CipherStormwolf

Backer

Well to start off, Zed´s will come after you when they see, hear, (i hope don´t) smell you.
Of course they should do that, but to what extend?

An example: You run through a village, will all zombie´s come after you (of course they need to have noticed you someway) or will half of them stay back and only a certain amount follow you? The more zombie´s the more computer ressource you would need and so on.

So what if they would act as a group and other´s wont come after you (Awareness of player), iam not talking about only 1 zed notices you and 10 come after you, that is not what i meant with group.

But what way do the dev´s go with the AI - tracking, will there be a break of some sort, with only up to a certain amount of zombies following you (which would allow for a smarter AI, because more free ressources)

or

Will there dumb zombies following you around in hordes of 100

ALL numbers are speculation, as iam not a programmer and dont know how many computer ressources this may take.

The zombies shouldn´t just stand still, waiting to be shot, but having them walking around slowly and moang just doesn´t feel like it´s enough.

Here is a suggestion: I forgot the name, but a long time ago i saw a movie where a zombie started to do stuff, he was doing while he was alive (of course he couldnt do it properly because he´s dead).

So zombies will start to fuel car´s if there is nothing triggering them to investigate a noise or they will stare at flowers and things like that.

They would feel somewhat "alive" again.

This is long enough, so i will end here. Hopefully you guys can come up with more.
Between english isn´t my native language, so excuse any mistakes ;) Thanks!

nlduncan

MLGprosurvivor
Backer
Devs already have hordes in the game that will show up at night and zombies will hide in buildings during the day, as well as having a sound/sight detection.

Thread starter #3

CipherStormwolf

Backer
I was talking more about, how they are going to use computerressources, if you have 100 zombies in area that are doing nothing it wont use much ressources. But if the player runs past them and they all go after him, it will be using alot or even too much ressources and stuttering and crashes will appear.
What i wanted to know is how they want to achieve a steady system with the AI and maybe limitations to how much zombies will react to the player!

Scott Rafferty

Designer.
Backer
It shouldn't take that much resources if the zombies are instanced and there's a LOD system aswell.

You would only be running into so much zombies at night anyway and it won't last for ages so as soon as day comes the performance "improves"

Thread starter #5

CipherStormwolf

Backer
Well the performance depends on how much zombie can be there and how good the AI is. If there are going to be a bunch of animals AND a lot of zombies it might become a bit demanding on a PC.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Last edited:
Moderator #7

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I feel lots of zombies that are dumb, but fairly aware of their surroundings... similar to classic Romero zombies.

None of us actually know how Unity 5 will handle large numbers of "instances" like zombies, animals, interactive items, etc. So to speculate already on exactly how many zombies to have or not have is a little silly.

I say, jam pack as many zombies in as possible, within reason of running on mediocre machines. I personally feel you have to draw the line somewhere on how 'low-end' a system can be to run a game.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I say, jam pack as many zombies in as possible, within reason of running on mediocre machines. I personally feel you have to draw the line somewhere on how 'low-end' a system can be to run a game.
Agreed. I reckon during the alpha/beta stages the 'optimal' amount of zombies for the desired gameplay will be roughed out, and from there optimizations can be made.
Though I would lose no sleep over shafting the people with crappy computers in the name of more zombies! :p Gameplay comes first!

Because the zombies are slower, I imagine you could streamline the tracking a little with fewer updates. Pure speculation though. And as @Scott Rafferty mentions, a good LOD system could do wonders for increasing performance.

Last edited: