• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Sound dampening

Thread starter #1

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
This thread is about ideas to lower sounds which draw zombies. Guns have been covered already in game. What about operating machinery? Sound proofing buildings? That'd be the way to go yes? Im certain in the year 2000 sound proofing materials existed. What that means is any modern sound proofing materials wouldn't be usable but if it existed in 2k or before yes. Just say no to asbestos lol.

I know from my experience with pcs you can have quieter fans with better bearings that generate almost no noise. Could the same apply to machinery? Could some components of a food processor for example be replaced to lower the noise generated? Perhaps the power generator could have certain components upgraded to produce less noise? I for one think sound proofing your base is the easiest option would be something interesting to add to the game.

Some basic sound proofing materials
Egg cartons
Fluffy carpet
Curtains and thick blankets
Window film, could glue sheets of plastic or vinyl to windows.
Acoustic partitions can likely find in offices
Couches and cushions can lower noise, they act as sound absorbers
Paintings placed around walls

Ideas drawn from the following https://soundproofliving.com/list-of-sound-absorbing-materials/

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I've read through that link, and the only one I can see getting in to the game is #9 - sound deadening blankets.
Why?
Well, we can craft a sleeping bag from clean rags, so could we also craft a sound deadening blanket? Perhaps in three sizes, so a small one would muffle the sound of a microwave going 'ping', up to a large one to help minimise the sound of a generator?
I'm just trying to think of things that would be easy to bring in to the game.

I don't think paintings would help, I have many in my little house, perhaps because most are in glazed frames they don't seem to deaden sound, just reflect it. But perhaps placing a picture could be some sort of claim/trophy, as talked about in this thread: https://community.survivethenights....stion-of-how-to-do-it.10751/page-3#post-97299