• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

sound distance in voice chat

Thread starter #1

ToxicAngel

Backer
Hello everyone, while I don't know much about what people said and the stuff that are in the game already (as you can see in my message box I am pretty new here)

but I just thought if there will be a voice chat in the game why not make it more realistic and in depth. so what I thought was that based on how the player will talk the distance that people can hear him will go longer or shorter. for example if I will shout people will hear my shout for longer distance but within that distance the longer the voice travel the less and less people gonna hear it until its gone. now it may be in the game already I just don't know anything as I said haha but let me give some examples:

me and my friend are scavenging in the forest and suddenly we get lost from each other, now based on the fact that non of us use 3rd party talking program aka Skype, team speak... I could try a chance to shout into my microphone that he may hear me but others could as well and I could show my position

another example: me and my friend/s found a group of people and we want to loot them without them noticing. assuming again we won't use any 3rd party talking program we could whisper the plan to each other without them actually hearing it which could be a neat experience haha.

now some problems I may see with this are:

bad mic, I mean the static could maybe make the sound sound for longer distance than it should which could ruin the idea.

loud background noises.

if it will be done in more depth it could add a lot to the realistic part of the game in my opinion although I do understand its going to be hard to do :)

Last edited:
It would be cool if voices echoed like they would in real life, but honestly i don't know the limitations.. definely an idea that should be considered.. but it will probably need to draw attention along with the side-effect of possible other players hearing a distant noise and then possibly coming to kill you or etc.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
I don't know that such technology even exists. If you like to be a stealthy bandit you may want to look into using a VoiP

Thread starter #5

ToxicAngel

Backer
haha I just gave in my idea. I could imagine it be really hard! and if it will be too much for a 5 people team.. hell even a full big company like EA I would imagine have hard time doing such a thing but I just thought it could be neat and add to the game.. or most of the games if I am being honest here. but maybe an illusion to that feeling somehow. but if its not practical I can totally understand :)

haha I just gave in my idea. I could imagine it be really hard! and if it will be too much for a 5 people team.. hell even a full big company like EA I would imagine have hard time doing such a thing but I just thought it could be neat and add to the game.. or most of the games if I am being honest here. but maybe an illusion to that feeling somehow. but if its not practical I can totally understand :)
It would be great features to add and I imagine a skilled team can do it, EA would not cause they don't care about customers to begin with.

Namzig

Backer
Quite Possibly their might be a way to detect the volume of the persons mic, So if there mic output while talking is <1dB they can only be heard from a short distance. Or if there mic output is >1 db then they could be heard from a greater distance. This could add a great way for ways to whisper to a friend if someone is nearby. :)

Davz Not Here

Backer
i think it would be great if you had talk detection built in game, instead of push to talk .....

Davz Not Here

Backer
Quite Possibly their might be a way to detect the volume of the persons mic, So if there mic output while talking is <1dB they can only be heard from a short distance. Or if there mic output is >1 db then they could be heard from a greater distance. This could add a great way for ways to whisper to a friend if someone is nearby. :)
being a musician I have seen a zillion sound waves. If i whisper in the mic, it's a little wave, if i yell it's a sharp peak ..... crescendos and decrescendos are smoother longer waves, etc.

if this same type of ccoding / software tech / etc. could be applied to this idea ..... where the volume of the speaker was registered (not their mic preset volume) ..... it would open a tonne of options