• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Spreadable virus/sickness

Thread starter #1

Shrykull

Carpe Noctem
Backer
I was thinking it would be cool if players could get the flu and spread it to other players. I think adding a few differemt types of spreadable illness would be awesome, making a few illness more severe and requiring finding medications to relieve symptoms or cure the illness. This means a player could catch a virus become contagious(even before showing symptoms) and spread the sickness to the survivors around them. this could create all sorts of new gameplay. I could see people getting qaurintined by gaurds in trader cities, or other scenarios happening depending on how people play, I could even see people opening up treatment centers to dispense meds. This could also be considered a form of PVE.

Last edited:

Dench

German GFXer
Backer
Please. No Trader Citys. I mean the sickness is an good idea but I think it should be an normal trade system. No Money, Gold or whatever just: Medical Supplies against Ammo or something identical. In an Zombie Apocalypse Gold or any currency is nothing worth.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
id say leave the traders till for mods or add ons but i like the flu idea spend to much time with someone sick increases the chance of other players getting sick but it could go either way make people do segregation like you said or band them together to share supplies

Thread starter #4

Shrykull

Carpe Noctem
Backer
Please. No Trader Citys. I mean the sickness is an good idea but I think it should be an normal trade system. No Money, Gold or whatever just: Medical Supplies against Ammo or something identical. In an Zombie Apocalypse Gold or any currency is nothing worth.
I meant player run trade "cities" or shantys. If you have an organized group that is large and you all lock down an entire section of a town you could trade supplies and have different traders occupy different houses or something like that, and even have patrolling guards and watch towers. I don't want a currency or an in game store either, it would "open up new ways of gameplay" by sacrificing the survival aspect and realism of the game. I apoligize for my lack of detail.

Thread starter #5

Shrykull

Carpe Noctem
Backer
id say leave the traders till for mods or add ons but i like the flu idea spend to much time with someone sick increases the chance of other players getting sick but it could go either way make people do segregation like you said or band them together to share supplies
I apoligize for my vagueness I should have put more detail. I meant player run trade cities or "Shantys", if someone came in and started getting people sick it would be bad for your community so I could see group leaders quarantining people in order to stop the spread of illness.

Last edited:

CrashQuinn

It's a trap!
Backer
Please, for the love of god, allow people to get the flu, and pass it to people they come in contact with. May not really be doable in an easy way, but it would add such an amazing new aspect to how you interact with other players.

Moderator #8

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Please, for the love of god, allow people to get the flu, and pass it to people they come in contact with. May not really be doable in an easy way, but it would add such an amazing new aspect to how you interact with other players.
Other diseases also. :D

Moderator #10

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
It would make players pay attention to other players, how they act, and if they seemed sick.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this also... abit like the blood type in dayz (where you spawn with a random blood type) you could also have people spawn as carriers and not know it.

Last edited:

Panky

That person just there
Backer
I like this also... abit like the blood type in dayz (where you spawn with a random blood type) you could also have people spawn as carriers and not know it.
It would be so awesome to have to figurer out who has the disease and take them out, maybe like you get a blood test kit for diseases. The betrayals would be awesome

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
It would be so awesome to have to figurer out who has the disease and take them out, maybe like you get a blood test kit for diseases. The betrayals would be awesome
Yes...finding out you are a carrier and being exiled would be a funny thing to happen... and a pain in the ass.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Some misc illness/disease mechanic ideas (mainly covering a 'flu' type virus)

Illnesses are picked up by inspecting/interacting with items. Items would have a value (either item based, or location based) that would determine the chance of it being diseased. eg items found in a shed or in a gutter have a higher chance of being 'diseased' in some way, than an item in a police station, house, or hospital. (Or maybe hospitals would be disease-ridden?)
I'd say the chance of picking up an illness/virus would be somewhat common if you're picking stuff out of the garbage, but in most other 'sanitary' areas it should be uncommon -> rare. Anyway, after interacting with this item, if you eat/drink within a given period of time, or don't sanitize your hands, you'll then actually contract the virus.

Effects could include,
Less stamina
Text based complaints (head hurts, light headed, throat's sore)
Sound cues, clearing throat, sniffing, sneezing, coughing increasing in severity
Pale skin

And probably way more. I just want them to be fairly non-descript, or subtle.

They'd be passed between players by exchanges of items that are infected. The same rule would still apply that he would have to eat/drink within a certain time or not sanitize his hands for him to contract it.

I also think if you're within say 4 meters of someone that is actively showing symptoms of a contagious disease, you have say a passive 5% chance to get it from sneezing/coughing/speaking etc that would realistically be happening, making sure to keep distance from those showing symptoms.

After you've fought off or "cured" the disease, you should be "immune" for a given period of time due to your immune system's increased activity.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Or, true friends would send the group on the search for a cure/treatment. ;)
Heh that did not come to mind.. but that too I suppose :rolleyes:

Panky

That person just there
Backer
If like 2 towns were to go to war one town could use a infected like a trojan horse to weak the over side like in the 100. You should be able to develop a virus in a lab to make it more lethal or you could find cures.

grott

Backer
getting an infection when hurt/too cold would be fine but spreadable no I mean cmon I can see it now loads of underage players screaming in their mics trolling with disease. if there are pve only servers this is how they will kill you when they cant make it on a pvp server. spreadable disease is just troll bait and if I wanted to be trolled id still play rust/dayz

Moderator #19

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
getting an infection when hurt/too cold would be fine but spreadable no I mean cmon I can see it now loads of underage players screaming in their mics trolling with disease. if there are pve only servers this is how they will kill you when they cant make it on a pvp server. spreadable disease is just troll bait and if I wanted to be trolled id still play rust/dayz
It is only being trolled if you allow yourself to be trolled IMO. Between the Dayz mod/standalone I have probably about 1800 hours or so... I kind of see what you are saying, but I think if you let your guard down, and get to close to people you don't know, then you need to be sick, and if it because of a troll, that is your fault not theirs.

Diseases spreading is very real... Which means, I personally would like to see it in game.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Cure the troll with a bullet to the face I say :D