• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Starter Survival Kit

Thread starter #1

olav hyldmo

Backer
how much gear do you think players should spawn with? personally i dont think any of the other open world survivalgames manage this topic very well, and its an important aspect of the beginning and outcome of the gameplay.

I think players should spawn with a small blunt weapon and a little survival equipment. any thoughts?

Davidbc

Community Mod
Backer
Just the basic stuff enough to get going. Some food/water so you can survive until you find more on your own, and a melee weapon to defend yourself.

Davz Not Here

Backer
this question popped in another thread in relation to starting careers / classes / etc
http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/careers.843/page-2

the two are / have become a cross topic ...... anyway ..... my suggestion was (copied and pasted from the other post)

" ..... starting kits could work the same / in a similar way ..... e.g. for a while some friends of mine and I played a Zombie d20 system pen and paper campaign. For 'starting kits' everyone who played (7 of us) had to list off what was in their pockets, backpacks, and cars (just the one they carpooled in ..... which led to some in game debates over whose tire iron it was). That was the starting items you had when the SHTF began in the game. 7 gamers is a lot of dice ..... they worked well for the slingshots we looted from a local toy store"

so to expand on that here (staying on topic)

during character creation there could a "click all that apply" table, with a list of what you would find in the avg. office / study / computer room / den ..... where ever the avg. person has their computer. things like (just looking around my room ....) -
  • scissors
  • pens
  • pencils
  • paper
  • clothes (extra)
  • back pack / fanny pack / wallet
  • keyboard / mouse / laptop / etc
  • ashtray
  • cigarettes
  • bass guitar (x2)
  • bass speaker (4x10)
  • bass amp head
  • beer bottles
  • coffee mug
  • headlamp
  • nail clippers
  • dice
  • skinning knife
  • several wall wart plugs
  • a few random computer parts (old vid and sound cards mostly)
  • flat head screw drill attachment
  • masonry drill attachment
  • hair ties
  • AA batteries (4x of 8 left)
  • bass strings
  • candles
  • lighters (5 ..... 3 dead ones i haven't trashed yet)
  • matches
  • tonnes of books on living off the land and wild
  • tonnes of books about conspiracies
  • tonnes of books ..... (looks like a damned used book store some days)
  • flash drive with 8gb of US Military hand books
  • laptop
  • rolling papers
  • couch, end table x2, bed, blankets, sleeping bag (0 degree has served me well)
  • the more i look around the longer this list gets

so you get the gist of it .....
- you chose 20 items from a list of 50 (or w/e .... the more to choose from the more random the start)
- the code randomizes 5-8 (?) of those items
- that is you what you start with

also my house is not avg. since we live fairly deep in the mts. you prep for a lot of things. but you get the point .....

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
Some of what I think should be starting gear (possibly chosen in char creator)

• Blunt weapon
  • Money (coins for distracting zombies/possibly players)
  • Food/Water
  • Pocket knife (can't kill, but can be used to open stuff. Like an Exacto knife)
  • BB gun
(More ideas coming soon ;))

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

olav hyldmo

Backer
Some of what I think should be starting gear (possibly chosen in char creator)

• Blunt weapon
  • Money (coins for distracting zombies/possibly players)
  • Food/Water
  • Pocket knife (can't kill, but can be used to open stuff. Like an Exacto knife)
  • BB gun
(More ideas coming soon ;))
yeah that sounds pretty good.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I think a bottle of water, a small pack, a folding knife and a can of food is all that we should have upon start. This game takes place just shortly after the apocalypses and who in there right mind would leave there house without a few basics even if there were people trying to break in my first thought would be to grab my bug out bag, wife and kid than bail out the back through the woods. Some gear is a necessity. I dont like how Dayz SA just dropped you in a random place with nothing but the clothes on your back and a flash lite haha.

Thread starter #7

olav hyldmo

Backer
I think a bottle of water, a small pack, a folding knife and a can of food is all that we should have upon start. This game takes place just shortly after the apocalypses and who in there right mind would leave there house without a few basics even if there were people trying to break in my first thought would be to grab my bug out bag, wife and kid than bail out the back through the woods. Some gear is a necessity. I dont like how Dayz SA just dropped you in a random place with nothing but the clothes on your back and a flash lite haha.
yeah, i agree on dayz

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
I haven't seen any post, so I thought I would add this one.

Since our characters are survivors. I thought when we start a new character we gain a survival kit. containing several things of varying quality

How it work is that it will contain several items, in addition to the flashlight and battery we get.
It will contain some preserved food or something like instant noodles, a small energy bar to give you a boost of energy, a filled water bottle, a knife, and some bandages. A RNG factor will occur. It will make things vary in quality or quantity. ex. poor bandage will only have one use or the Knife will be very rusty and dull. One item of the kit is guaranteed to be the best quality.

err edit. Opps I think I posted this on the wrong sub forum.

Moderator #9

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
This has been brought up throughout some threads previously, but I don't recall a direct topic about it.

I've always been a fan of starting off with literally nothing but the cloths on your back... but that's me. :D

Last edited:

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
Thanks for the move. I am a fan of the idea that the character grabbed what he could, or had the simple kit nearby.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I actually like this idea. In other Zombie games you would spawn in a field with nothing but the clothes on your back and a flash lite. Why was I there with nothing but a flash lite? Was I run out of my home by raiders and only grabbed a flash lite? Did the zombie hordes get to me and I was taken off guard so I didn't have time to grab anything? I would like to see a little bit of items to start with. Maybe a small (can only fit a few items in) backpack that has gauze, matches and a can of food (that you cannot open unless you have a knife or something) and a tire iron or something similar. Just so its not like I was abducted by aliens than dropped of in a field :)

@DemoCar82 I believe the thread you are referring too (well one of them) was the character "Jobs" thread where there was discussion of having the ability to be like a cop or construction worker and start off with different items. I am unable to find things these days as there has been so many threads coming up :)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like the idea but I am also a hardcore fan of starting bare (with clothes on) much like Demo, but I know how we could kill two zeds with one bullet here :cool:...
I thought when we start a new character we gain a survival kit.
This... for playing the game the first time you start off like everyone else did with nothing (but skills if, traits are added that is but that's a separate topic). But if you wish to have another character or start fresh after some playtime you could have the option of starting with the starter kit, my reason is that most if not all RPG's have the option to skip the first initial level/tutorial where you gain these basic items, but since this genre of game is more trial and error and gathering even the basic of items having these at start would make it more enjoyable to start a fresh character if needed.

Like I said I am more of a hardcore player but I am also aware that there are alot of casual players that don't like the mundane bits of a survival game and not that they would have/need a "head start" but more to keep it re-playable and enjoyable for all.

Davz Not Here

Backer
@DemoCar82 I believe the thread you are referring too (well one of them) was the character "Jobs" thread where there was discussion of having the ability to be like a cop or construction worker and start off with different items. I am unable to find things these days as there has been so many threads coming up :)
yes, this was talked about in length under the "careers" poll/thread as a matter of coarse
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/careers.843/page-3

Jazz0411

I like the idea of picking your starting gear from a list of random items based of your character creation choices ,it would give each player the choice of what they think would be the best items to take with them when TSFTF!

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
I think what would be really cool would be your loot is based off of your characters pre apocalypse job, for example if you choose a farmer you would spawn out in the middle of no where with a shotgun some bullets, food but not much else, if you choose a police officer you start with a pistol some bullets and maybe some riot gear, but you spawn right in the centre of a town with a shit ton of zombies. If you choose something like a regular bloke you would start with a little bit of food, a random melee weapon (cricket bat, baseball bat, crowbar, you get the gist) or if you choose a doctor you get no weapons (maybe a scalpel) but get plenty of medical supplies. It could be pretty cool if done right, but it might not fit the game quite right.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I think what would be really cool would be your loot is based off of your characters pre apocalypse job, for example if you choose a farmer you would spawn out in the middle of no where with a shotgun some bullets, food but not much else, if you choose a police officer you start with a pistol some bullets and maybe some riot gear, but you spawn right in the centre of a town with a shit ton of zombies. If you choose something like a regular bloke you would start with a little bit of food, a random melee weapon (cricket bat, baseball bat, crowbar, you get the gist) or if you choose a doctor you get no weapons (maybe a scalpel) but get plenty of medical supplies. It could be pretty cool if done right, but it might not fit the game quite right.

check out this thread link in (and) my post about 7 posts before yours .....

this question popped in another thread in relation to starting careers / classes / etc
http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/careers.843/page-2

the two are / have become a cross topic ...... anyway ..... my suggestion was (copied and pasted from the other post)

" ..... starting kits could work the same / in a similar way ..... e.g. for a while some friends of mine and I played a Zombie d20 system pen and paper campaign. For 'starting kits' everyone who played (7 of us) had to list off what was in their pockets, backpacks, and cars (just the one they carpooled in ..... which led to some in game debates over whose tire iron it was). That was the starting items you had when the SHTF began in the game. 7 gamers is a lot of dice ..... they worked well for the slingshots we looted from a local toy store"

so to expand on that here (staying on topic)

during character creation there could a "click all that apply" table, with a list of what you would find in the avg. office / study / computer room / den ..... where ever the avg. person has their computer. things like (just looking around my room ....) -
  • scissors
  • pens
  • pencils
  • paper
  • clothes (extra)
  • back pack / fanny pack / wallet
  • keyboard / mouse / laptop / etc
  • ashtray
  • cigarettes
  • bass guitar (x2)
  • bass speaker (4x10)
  • bass amp head
  • beer bottles
  • coffee mug
  • headlamp
  • nail clippers
  • dice
  • skinning knife
  • several wall wart plugs
  • a few random computer parts (old vid and sound cards mostly)
  • flat head screw drill attachment
  • masonry drill attachment
  • hair ties
  • AA batteries (4x of 8 left)
  • bass strings
  • candles
  • lighters (5 ..... 3 dead ones i haven't trashed yet)
  • matches
  • tonnes of books on living off the land and wild
  • tonnes of books about conspiracies
  • tonnes of books ..... (looks like a damned used book store some days)
  • flash drive with 8gb of US Military hand books
  • laptop
  • rolling papers
  • couch, end table x2, bed, blankets, sleeping bag (0 degree has served me well)
  • the more i look around the longer this list gets

so you get the gist of it .....
- you chose 20 items from a list of 50 (or w/e .... the more to choose from the more random the start)
- the code randomizes 5-8 (?) of those items
- that is you what you start with

also my house is not avg. since we live fairly deep in the mts. you prep for a lot of things. but you get the point .....