• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Tanks - **Confirmed not in-game!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

JoshGaarax3

Backer
This is more of a decorative vehicle that can have some uses compared to your standard vehicle like a pick up or a jeep but as the title suggests yeah why not add tanks im sure there was a small or large military presence here trying to stop the outbreak and nothing stops a roaming herd of zombies like a tank but like i said its more decorative so you can (if ever added) use a blowtorch and steal the metal plating of its body or the mounted MG from its top. I don't know much about tanks so go ahead and discuss it.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Military stuff has been brought up before, and usually it's a no. Although the tanks would be decorative or for reclaiming materials from for other purposes, I think the general consensus is usually, there would be little to no military presence on a small rural island.

So I agree with you for the decorative/scrap metal aspect, I disagree on there being a tank/s on the island

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Videogame wise they are fun as hell, but not really practical to use as you would think... they make waaay too much noise and eat precious fuel. These two cons out weight and out-last any pros that they have... being in one would be like a human MRE for zeds, once its breaks down/runs out of fuel you'll have zeds coming from all over for something too eat.

Although having decorative ones there even just for scrap is a cool idea, I too would have to say no to this one... I honestly would like this with what you described i.e blow-torching for scrap but once they are there I know people would then be asking for them to be usable.

I'm no expert on Tanks aswell, my knowledge is from History Channel and Battlefield :D
But that is just my thought on it.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I may be wrong on this, but my understanding is there is no military presence on the island(s), either pre or post zombie mayhem. Instead the military is on the outside of the island in an effort to quarantine the island(s) and contain the situation, a sort of cruel "keep it from spreading to anywhere else, let it run it's course & investigate later". A back story would definitely be nice and give us some insight.

But yeah the Devs have mentioned that there will not be military grade weapons/equipment (civilian versions possibly, not sure), so a tank...yeah um no. At least not a functioning tank. I can't recall where these islands are located, maybe if they're in the Pacific or something we'll see the occasional broken down non-functional WW2 M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M3 Stuart, but I doubt it (that stuff would have been found by now and put on display at various facilities like a VFW building or bought up by collectors for renovation/spare parts).

AsgarothDaFae

Crazy
Backer
being in one would be like a human MRE for zeds, once its breaks down/runs out of fuel you'll have zeds coming from all over for something too eat.
Do zombies have can openers? :)

As for the tanks... No military presence rather means no tanks in neighborhood... Unless... It would be some decayed and partially destroyed WW2 tanks... For decorative reasons... And maybe some spare parts, shielded fragments

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Do zombies have can openers? :)

As for the tanks... No military presence rather means no tanks in neighborhood... Unless... It would be some decayed and partially destroyed WW2 tanks... For decorative reasons... And maybe some spare parts, shielded fragments
If they do... we are all dooomed! :eek:

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
Hi guys, so as a requirment for my Computer Animation Class I designed some tanks, I thought they would be cool to put in my animation film. I decieded that they could serve a purpose hopefully in a game so I turned to STN. Enjoy and feedback is appriciated :) I primarly focused on a M1A2 TUSK which I love, and with my remainder time I made a T90. All pictures were rendered via Maxwell Render < http://www.maxwellrender.com/ > Some photos are different from others textures/texture erros and silly stuff.

A T90 cause why not.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Before people try and hang you just for suggesting a tank...
I'd say that it would be a cool thing to salvage parts from, use them as cover, climb on top to get some breath back after running from zeds but no way of it working mechanically...

Amazing work bud :)

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
Before people try and hang you just for suggesting a tank...
I'd say that it would be a cool thing to salvage parts from, use them as cover, climb on top to get some breath back after running from zeds but no way of it working mechanically...

Amazing work bud :)
Thanks Num, Yeah I suggested it as a prop and not an actual item cause the fun of "Survival" would be taken out of it. Reasources like ammo and parts could be salvaged

Davz Not Here

Backer
I think the model is great ..... very well done ..... doing a dragon would impress me

as far as a tank, even as a prop / vehicle wreck / etc. ..... i'm split.

+1

the INSTANCE, the EXACT INSTANCE, that ANY military gear shows up in this game (which for the record, has been explicitly and consistently stated would NOT be in the game) ..... it won't stop with just a prop tank ..... be aware ..... once the door is open, military gear in survival games becomes a Pandora s Box ..... just sayin' .....

that being said ..... (and it's 100% true)

as a prop ..... for finding auto(some) parts, radio parts, scrap metal, wiring, loose ammo, gun powder from old shells, metal from old shells, etc ..... well it could be a real treasure trove of loot fun

it could also, as a prop, also be reinforced some, sandbagged (or concrete) the open under front/rear, etc ..... you could have a 2-3 person place to live, set up a make shift stove and flue through the the big barrel ..... yeah ..... neat place to live

still my opinion is 50 / 50 on this one, and i fear what happens when the masses get their way .....

Brandon.P

The Marksman
Backer
I think the model is great ..... very well done ..... doing a dragon would impress me

as far as a tank, even as a prop / vehicle wreck / etc. ..... i'm split.

+1

the INSTANCE, the EXACT INSTANCE, that ANY military gear shows up in this game (which for the record, has been explicitly and consistently stated would NOT be in the game) ..... it won't stop with just a prop tank ..... be aware ..... once the door is open, military gear in survival games becomes a Pandora s Box ..... just sayin' .....

that being said ..... (and it's 100% true)

as a prop ..... for finding auto(some) parts, radio parts, scrap metal, wiring, loose ammo, gun powder from old shells, metal from old shells, etc ..... well it could be a real treasure trove of loot fun

it could also, as a prop, also be reinforced some, sandbagged (or concrete) the open under front/rear, etc ..... you could have a 2-3 person place to live, set up a make shift stove and flue through the the big barrel ..... yeah ..... neat place to live

still my opinion is 50 / 50 on this one, and i fear what happens when the masses get their way .....
To be honest I will let the community decide my tanks fate lol, I think it would be a nice prop to put somewhere in the map, but with no intention to have it as a active vehicle and being able to drive around. I do agree that it can open doors but we would also have to conclude what military like models already exsist in the game and whether they correspond to the theme.

Davz Not Here

Backer
we would also have to conclude what military like models already exist in the game and whether they correspond to the theme.

the conclusion was already come to ..... the devs have made it explicitly clear (numerous times) there would be NO MILITARY GEAR

so since a tank is military, ..... decision made ..... we're not talking fed funded MRAP s for every police dept., this is a tank ..... most PD's do not have a tank.

also,
again, as i said before

which was an offering of support for the idea, regardless of the fact that most of the community, and the devs no less, have stated over and over and over that there will be NO MILITARY STUFF .....

but ..... i guess you would have to follow along and read up on everything that has gone on to know what is going on

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Nice work, I'm liking the ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor)!

Personally I don't really see modern era tanks fitting in the game. I'd imagine if there are any tanks at all they'd be broken down props of WWII era stuff like an M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M3 Stuart, or Type 97 Chi-Ha (if the islands are in the pacific somewhere), and even so they'd be really uncommon due to the logistical nightmare that entails and the terrain in general not being suited for tanks in general (again talking hypothetically if the islands are in the Pacific somewhere).

Davz Not Here

Backer
Nice work, I'm liking the ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor)!

Personally I don't really see modern era tanks fitting in the game. I'd imagine if there are any tanks at all they'd be broken down props of WWII era stuff like an M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, M3 Stuart, or Type 97 Chi-Ha (if the islands are in the pacific somewhere), and even so they'd be really uncommon due to the logistical nightmare that entails and the terrain in general not being suited for tanks in general (again talking hypothetically if the islands are in the Pacific somewhere).

i'm fairly sure the North Atlantic is where the Devs said the Island was going to be ..... not a whole lot of snow in those S. Pacific Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.