• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Teaching/Mentoring

Thread starter #1

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
The ability for higher level players to accelerate the learning/leveling process of lower level players.

The general idea would be you would gain passive experience points for being in the vicinity/looking in the direction of a player performing an action (ie fixing/shooting/fishing/cooking) who is a considerably higher level than you, as well as doing the action yourself with the other player.

I reckon the amount gained should depend on how high leveled the person is compared to you, if the gap is larger, you'll gain experience faster, slower if you're closer.

I could see people charging others to "train" certain skills with them, if they're particularly high leveled in a certain skill. I more imagine this being a dynamic in groups/clans though, as players specialize in certain areas, they'll passively boost the rest of the group in that respective area - another incentive to group up.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, still not really sure on how something like this would play out :p
Thanks!

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Interesting thought, however I see people exploiting this just to 'power level' new characters/players. It kind of takes away from the game by not having to go through it yourself.

On the other hand, this would increase player interaction and cooperation. More discussion is required. :)

Thread starter #3

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Interesting thought, however I see people exploiting this just to 'power level' new characters/players. It kind of takes away from the game by not having to go through it yourself.

On the other hand, this would increase player interaction and cooperation. More discussion is required. :)
Yeah, that's the one thing I wasn't sure of either, though that'd more depend on how slow/fast it is - make it slow enough and 'power-leveling' simply isn't practical. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with ways to combat all those 'game-y' dynamics in other mentoring systems. :)

As I said anyway, I was more intended this to be a group dynamic, with everybody gradually learning from eachother, simply as an added bonus of working together.

Thanks for replying, and I agree more discussion is necessary - it'd certainly give those complaining about delays something to do!

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Yeah. Maybe if it's very slow / minimal gain, unless you're in a substantially sized group (but even then not fast enough to encourage exploitation). It really all depends on what the base 'leveling' speed is really, something like this may not even be necessary. We won't really know until we get to that stage of testing.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Very interesting.... I think I may like this idea. Repairing vehicles whilst another player watches should yield some amount of experience. I may have to sip my spiked coffee and ponder on this for a while.

Enigmaticle

Refined Gentleman
Backer
This isn't a new mechanic idea :p It's been done in other games, rather successfully as well. I think it sounds like a great idea in all honesty, could be a way to boost your mental state as well, having someone around that you are teaching, could boost Karma and be a way out of a bandito life style so to speak. Then again, it could also be a hindrance, and could be used to simply boost people's ability to re-gain skills that are lost from possible skill loss on death if they have had too many player killings. Not sure how I feel about that, it shouldn't be easy to gain these skills, but on the other hand, it could be a great game mechanic... I'm with NothingsTRUE, I shall have to sip my coffee and stroke my goatee for a while on this one.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
*Pulls up a chair*
Now this I like the idea of, I agree with how you guys are thinking about things so far aswell about level-teir teaching, watching the other person, time-span it should take etc...

Only thing I could think of adding is the amount of skills a person can learn maybe negative traits around learning (Even I don't know everything :p) and would having a certain disposition toward the "teacher" count, this could be todo with how mentality works with being in the mood to learn and being happy around the person who is teaching you... maybe again negative traits would come into it here aswell...

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Just had a quick thought... not all learning should be done through player interaction, I would like to add that having encyclopedias and such in librarys, education centers, pre-outbreak workbooks etc for survivors to read and learn.

People could still learn through mentoring and lone survivors could learn also but at a slower rate, survivors could also store the books in their own librarys..

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Just had a quick thought... not all learning should be done through player interaction, I would like to add that having encyclopedias and such in librarys, education centers, pre-outbreak workbooks etc for survivors to read and learn.

People could still learn through mentoring and lone survivors could learn also but at a slower rate, survivors could also store the books in their own librarys..
I like the idea of being able to learn from books and what not, but I think they should only be able to take you so far. Say on a scale of 1-100, the maximum you can learn from books is say 25 (however many books that takes), maximum you can learn from being mentored is say 50-75 (however long that takes). The remaining is learned from physically doing the task, whatever it may be.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I like the idea of being able to learn from books and what not, but I think they should only be able to take you so far. Say on a scale of 1-100, the maximum you can learn from books is say 25 (however many books that takes), maximum you can learn from being mentored is say 50-75 (however long that takes). The remaining is learned from physically doing the task, whatever it may be.
Yes I agree not completely learning something from a book, because of trail and error and the more you do something the better the quality...

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer