1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Devil is in the Detail

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JB_, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB_

JB_ Developer Staff Member Developer

Jul 25, 2014
    Hello all,

Apologies for the lack of updates during the last two weeks. Please read this update as it’s very important to the future of our little community. We’ve been plugging away at issues and builds. We have some big news. It’s not good and it’s not bad but it may seem like a massive game changer although it won’t change our game plan. Firstly, we’re still shooting for keys to go out on the 24th although we’re not 100% sure that’s the day yet as we’re waiting on confirmation.

Our last two public tests were done before Steam integration on our own launchers. We’re now integrated and we have to follow the proper protocol this involves while requesting keys. That’s where this story takes a bit of a turn. While looking into the key request process, we learn that while it’s ok to get testing keys for crowdfunding fulfillment purposes (Kickstarter backers in our case), it’s not ok for us to get testing keys for others while the game isn’t also playable or purchasable for Steam customers (this would be our Humble backers that have pre-ordered Early Access keys). With these testing key restrictions we wouldn’t be able to get enough keys for everyone.

Our plan from day one has always been to release to backers, test and fix with them. The plan being that when the builds were strong enough, we would move forward with a public early access release on Steam. This is no longer possible since we can’t get testing keys for all of our backers. We can’t delay again and we can’t possibly cherry pick backers to get keys while leaving others out. We are committed to being fair to the community and this the only way that we can move forward with everyone getting keys… In the coming days we will launch the game on the Steam Store as an “unlisted” early access release. This is essentially a soft launch of a pre-alpha build with no promotion as we continue to prepare for a full-featured early access release. Our steam page would be “hidden” when searching for the game on Steam until we’re ready for a full-featured EA release. You’ll only be able to access our Steam page with a direct URL which will leave us with a smaller audience until we feel that the game is ready for a full EA release.

As you can imagine, the team is a bit shaken up by this oversight we made. As you know from our last couple of updates, we were really just getting something out to settle the restless backers. At the time, we didn’t feel like the builds were really ready for backer release. After a few more weeks plugging away at issues and a bit more testing, we came to the realization that builds were solid enough to start getting you guys in. We’d become excited by the aspect of backers (all that have pre-ordered) joining us on this ‘backer’ release next week. We’d come to accept that many would likely step back once they realize the builds were not the alpha trailer but still very much pre-alpha. Our plan was always to do this (what we consider) ‘the right way’. Our goal was to get backers testing, lose the backers that weren’t really interested in bug hunting and move forward with those that were into development and helping out the team. We had planned to spend the next couple of months with you, getting something fun and stable before letting Steam know we were ready for Early Access.

Over the next couple of weeks things may drastically change around here. The game has been added to many Steam wishlists and our Steam community hub is followed by over 41k people. There are also over 5k non-backers on our Discord server. While an unlisted page is considered a soft launch (you can only buy the game or find the page with a link) it’s very much not the way we wanted to move forward. There’s a good possibility that the community around here will expand 10 fold in the coming weeks. The game will release on Steam the same time keys go to backers. Even though it’s unlisted people will purchase.

We, as a team, have come to accept that things will not always go the way we plan and we’ve been luckier than most in the field right out of the gate. We appreciate every break we’ve gotten. We’re not 100% ready for this but in the end, so long as we as a team set out to do what we’ve always promised we’d do, then nothing here has changed. There may be more of us soon but the team will still be here everyday working on STN. We’ll be on discord in our backer and regular chat rooms discussing issues and features. Those that are interested in development will stick around, those that are expecting something else will move on hopefully coming back later when things are a bit more stable. We will still turn to the original backers to move forward. When the original backers feel the project is ready we’ll ask Steam to fully list Survive the Nights and publicly enter the Early Access arena.

Below you will find a link the a2z(Interactive); website. We’ve included a full timeline of the team and project in an attempt to remain completely transparent while moving forward. Like we said above, we’re still currently waiting on the process to move forward, while Friday the 24th is not completely off the table it’s not 100% either. Tomorrow is a holiday in the United States (Thanksgiving) and we’re not sure about Steam’s schedule. As always, you can find us on Discord where we’re more than happy to talk about this update or anything else STN :)

Just a reminder, once the game is available on Steam we’ll no longer be providing backer badges (on the forum/discord) to new purchases after the Steam release as it’s a Kickstarter/pre-order perk. If you’ve pre-ordered prior to release but never reached out for the backer badge, you can still get one of course.

Once we have confirmation on the official release date, we will update you all. Things are about to change but there’s no reason the change can’t be for the best :) Thank you all for the years of support and Happy Thanksgiving!

Our Timeline So Far
    [​IMG]

Kerbox, Vossile, Stafford and 26 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy IGN: BadgerHobbs Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    Glad i passed my English or else i wouldn't be able to read all of this :D

GSkill, KS_Salem, Num47 and 3 others like this.
  3. PirateLemon

PirateLemon Member Backer

Jun 30, 2017
    Thank you so much for all the hard work you guys done :).

Num47, DemoCar82 and OhDemGames like this.
  4. Jonathon (Tuxtater)

Jonathon (Tuxtater) New Member Backer

Jul 21, 2017
    B-E-A-UTIFUL I really can't wait for this game to come out. Hopefully I can make time to stick with it and stay until the EA. o_Oo_O

Num47 likes this.
  5. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
    I’m here for a2z any way they need my support

Num47, DemoCar82 and HollowMobster like this.
  6. TheGamingChief

TheGamingChief Survive The Nights Supporter Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    This is awesome guys! Can't wait to see the development of STN!

Num47, DemoCar82 and OhDemGames like this.
  7. Tehhybrid

Tehhybrid New Member Backer

Jul 28, 2017
    Awesome !

DemoCar82 likes this.
  8. HollowMobster

HollowMobster Raptor Jesus Backer

Nov 1, 2016
    I can't wait to help test the game with you guys!

OhDemGames and DemoCar82 like this.
  9. Bearnch

Bearnch Grizzly Survivor Backer

Nov 7, 2014
    Maybe you could make the purchase price on the steam store some obscene amount like $999 then set the item description as something like: "Currently in backer testing stages, price will normalise when this process is complete."

This does make me nervous, having the game potentially available to those that are not as understanding as we are, the ignorant that haven't been keeping up to date. But I guess if you guys feel that it's what you want to do then I'll just have to do what I can to help out. Unless we can somehow trust thousands of backers to keep the store link to themselves until it's fully ready. :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    elastikspastik and Dr. J like this.
  10. ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix Survivor Backer

Feb 4, 2015
    Or simply release it, and charge the regular EA price, as everyone else seems to be doing, regardless of the quality of the game. Heck, these days, they are even releasing games that only consist of main menu, with “coming 2018” sign plastered on it.

11. Myrothas

Myrothas Well-Known Member Backer

Sep 19, 2014
    ok cool

12. JB_

JB_ Developer Staff Member Developer

Jul 25, 2014
    It's definitely not the way we wanted to do this ahah just the only option that works. The only way to get all backers keys was to make the store available. Basically if you guys are playing then people have to be able to buy it on Steam.

Mica, Dr. J, DemoCar82 and 2 others like this.
  13. Brandon84

Brandon84 New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I really just want the gammon ps4 but I understand the process of making a game and transiting platforms

14. ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix Survivor Backer

Feb 4, 2015
    If thats the way it has to be, so be it. As long as we get to keep our yellow badges in forum, to make us feel special

Bearnch likes this.
  15. Tenshi

Tenshi New Member Backer

Jul 30, 2017
    STN HYPE HYPE!

16. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member Backer

Aug 13, 2014
    Looking forward to it

DemoCar82 and OhDemGames like this.
  17. Kysumu

Kysumu New Member Backer

Jul 31, 2017
    Sounds great!!!!!!

DemoCar82 and OhDemGames like this.
  18. RickGrimesdd

RickGrimesdd Survivor Backer

Apr 29, 2016
  19. sCriPt NZ

sCriPt NZ Member Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    Love the transparency from you guys as well as all the hard work you are putting in, cant wait to play!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.