• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

The SnakeHead

Thread starter #1

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Well I loved the RV when I 1st saw it, RV's are classic for horror situations. I also think that houseboats would work well in a zombie epidemic(I remember WorldWarZ(The Book) there were small towns made of them.) So I decided to go overboard with a survivor made vehicle suggestion. Why not have a Hover HouseBoat I present the SnakeHead.

The SnakeHead

The SnakeHead is a large survivor made vehicle designed as an amphibious living space, the hover platform is made from various materials and used light vehicle's.
Inch=" Feet='
Dimensions
Width:12'
Length:20'
Height:15.5'

Parts
6x flat bottom jon boat's, can be substituted with X amount of steel drums(Need to do the math) (4' x 10')
8x Large Wood board's (5' x 6')
6x 48' open motor Drum Fans
328 sqft x Thick Neoprene Sheeting
1x Large Spool of Heavy Duty Sewing Thread
2x rectanguler 1.5 inch metal plates (25" x 48")
8x Metal Hinges
40'x Metal Wire
1x Medium Motorbike Motor(May need more for the thrust fans this is for the lift fan)
4x Small hand Winches
200'x Nylon Rope
80'x Metal Chain
4x Light Metal Anchor's
2x 150,000 W Mobile Generators
4x Wood Boards (4' x 6')
3x Wooden Boards W/ Doorway (6' x 6')
4x Wood Boards W/ Small Window (4' x 6')
3x Wood Board W/ Large Window (6' x 6')
3x Wooden Boards (6' x 4')
1x Wood Board W/hole for ladder (6' x 4')
1x Wood Board (6' x 6')
1x Small Wood Ladder (1' x 6')
5x Wood Board's (2' x 2')
1x Small metal hinge
5x 10' Power Cables
9x 4' Metal pipes
2x y Shaped Pipe Connector's
2x Elbow Pipe Connector's
1x Strait Pipe Connector
5x Box's of Nail's
30x Nuts
30x Bolts
1x Metal grate (4' x 4')
3x Small Wood Box's
1x Small Sleeping Cot
1x Medium Sized Plastic Water Storage Tank
Various used Dirtbike parts
(I think I did the dimensions for most of the parts correctly, and I think the total weight wouldn't to bad, I think the thing should lift and move but how good I don't know. Someone better at math could probably see if the thing would move.

Description

Using six light aluminium flat bottom boats bolted together in a three by two pattern, large wooden boards are bolted to the frames of the boats creating a single twelve foot by twenty foot platform. Next two hundred and twenty square feet of thick neoprene sheeting is sewn around the perimeter of the platform creating a large pouch on the underside of the rig. Hole's are then sewn in select places on the pouch allowing for air to be expelled, next the extra neoprene sheeting is sewn around the perimeter creating a skirt to provide the desired air pressure to aid in lift. To provide lift a four foot by four foot section of the wood base of the rig four feet from the Bow, Port and Starboard is removed. A forty eight inch drum fan modified with the motor of a dirt bike as well as a larger gas tank is placed within the created depression, for light protection a wood box with a hinged lid is built around the exposed engine.

Several rectangular Super structures provide functions for the platform, the Main Cabin at the Bow, the Living Quarters four feet behind the Main Cabin, with a adjoining cabin that acts as a power room. Each cabin measures six feet tall, with six foot long main walls and four foot long side walls. The Main Cabin at the Bow acts as the control room the left and right walls contain small windows to aid in viewing, the front wall contains a single large rectangular window. The cabin has an additional second level accessed by a ladder within the cabin. The Living Quarters contains a sleeping cot, a water storage tank and several wooden box's used for storage. The rear most cabin contains two portable generators and electrical equipment used to power the SnakeHead's main functions and various on board electrical devices.

Placed at the stern of the hovercraft is the workhorse of the vehicle the main fan setup, providing thrust are five, four foot by four foot open motor drum fan's stacked atop each other in rows of three. A frame made of metal piping hold the fan's in place, while two rectangular metal plates attached to the outer most fans allow for direction change. Hinges stop the rectangular plates from moving two far inward while allowing free movement, metal wire secured to the plates lead to the Main Cabin. A improvised ships wheel controls the wire's leading to the fans allowing for control of the platform from the main cabin. Secured to the left and right corner of the Bow and Stern are four light crank operated winch's, the single winch at each corner controls a light metal anchor attached to a combination of eighty feet of nylon rope and twenty feet of steel chain.

Potential Modification's
-Corrugated Metal Fencing placed around the perimeter of the platform, the cabin's and the fans and lift motor.
-Corrugated Metal Fencing used as a bridge between the second level of the Main Cabin and the roofs of the other two cabin's.
-Flood Lights for use as spotlight's.
-CV Radio
-Wheel Tripod's for use as improvised weapon mounts.
-Compost Toilet(If they decide to go that far lol)
-Sharpened Re-bar and Barbed Wire for defending the sides.
-Mini fridge
-Parascope for use in the second level of the Main Cabin.
-Crank and pulley powered Drawbridge.
-Large Shunt
-Raised Garden for cabin roof.
-Homemade Smoke Pot Deployer
-Paint Job(Green,Grey)
-Metal Fencing for enclosing the fist level of the SnakeHead.
-Pivoting Winch Operated Truck Crane
-Propane Stove
-Electric Heater

Well here it is behold my monstrosity... I think it could work if the devs wanted survivor made veh's and since it is rather large it could be premade like the scrap veh's in DZ: Origin's or built part by part for some challenge. It would definitely be a large endeavor that would take quite a long time to build for a single survivor or even sevral working together. Well guys tell me what you think of The Snake Head I would like to hear what additional modifications could be put on, I definitely want to hear thoughts on the design i.e. power consumption ,weight, size, lift/thrust and anything else that might come to mind. If you guys want I can create a light sketch of what it might look like. I have a sketch right now but its tiny.

Last edited:

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Well....um that's quite a read, I would like to give you props first on a very in depth suggestion. While I didn't read everything ( It's rather late and I am tired) but I can still give you my opinion on what I did read. While this is an awesome Idea, it would seem to me like it would be difficult for them to make every single thing that you put on your list of materials. Plus I think a lot of them wouldn't have a lot of other uses besides for making this vehicle. Another point is that the devs we will be playing as the average Joe, while I'm not considering my the self the majority of people, I'm going to take a guess that most people wouldn't even know where to begin on building something like this. It is a good high goal though, and would maybe get more players to work together but it just seems a little advanced. Again nice post, and I hope you continue to post on the STN forums.

Thread starter #3

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
You do have a point with the parts I had thought about that when I was thinking of things to build the SnakeHead with, there are some parts that I believe I could use to create traps with and other material could be used to fortify a house with. The Neoprene could be used to make a rain catcher or even a makeshift water tank with the right parts. Another reasoning for some of the available material exe. anchor, winch other random boating stuff because its set on a island if I remember right. The other material could be cut to size or welded together or found in a hardware store.

On the aspect of the thought behind it and actually putting it together, I really didn't know a whole lot about hovercrafts before researching it but the concept is not to hard. The equation for lift was prob the hardest part but I think that would help lessen the real life trial and error of getting it to move right. I'm sure if I was in this situation and attempted to build this thing sans equation(which I prob got wrong) you'ed see me spinning in circles or flying lopsided. It would definitely be a advanced project, but a couple engineering books could prob help it along(but I guess readable books in game is a different subject).

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Ya, I am half and half with this one, I mean it's always great to have more content, but at the same time be practical. So if the devs think they can do it (And want it), I say they go for it.

Applejaxc

Backer
Yes, because everyone knows how to build an amphibious survival vehicle, or their neighbor has one in their garage ready for plundering...

Thread starter #6

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yes, because everyone knows how to build an amphibious survival vehicle, or their neighbor has one in their garage ready for plundering...
lol It would definitely take an ambitious person to attempt to build the Snake Head, but it wasn't really that hard to think of how to build the beast like I had said before the hardest part was dealing with the lift equation but I suck at math. I really don't know much about building things I mostly just wing it, witch is why I wanted to know what you guys thought of the overall design.

I would be content with adding all of the modifications to a house boat(for a floating fortress) but I was sure that someone would have already thought of the house boat so I thought why not go big. The funny thing is ever since writing the Snake Head I have really wanted to try to actually build the thing, maybe not as a survival craft(unless the apocalypse happens) but a rather large hovercraft.

P.S. The strutting penguin you have on you signature it simply mesmerizing.