1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The somewhat official STN cooking and baking thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DZS, May 4, 2018.

1. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Today i was rabbiting on about eating animal shaped STN biscuits on discord, dont ask me why then JB suggested a thread on the forum was started about recipes.

I dunno about you but i love real food and baking/cooking is a hobby of mine.

To get the ball rolling, here's a real easy recipe for microwave chocolate pudding, never fails. Its my goto when i need a choc fix. Great with cream and carob powder instead of cocoa.

Ingredients

• Pudding
      3/4 cup Chelsea White Sugar
      1 Tbsp butter
      1 cup flour, sifted
      1 Tbsp cocoa powder
      1/2 cup milk
      1 tsp baking powder

Sauce
      1 cup Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
      1 Tbsp cocoa powder
      1 1/2 cups boiled water
      1 tsp vanilla essence
    Method

• Pudding
      Cream together 3/4 cup white sugar and 1 tbsp butter in a mixing bowl. Add sifted flour and cocoa, followed by the milk and baking powder - mix until "globby".

Pour into a deep microwave proof bowl.

Sauce
      Mix brown sugar with the cocoa and scatter over top of globby pudding mix. Pour over the back of a spoon the boiled water and vanilla essence.

Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
      Source - https://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/easy-self-saucing-chocolate-pudding/

2. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    I love getting baked :p... okay, I'll stop with the pot jokes, that's unless it's a cooking pot :D
    Great thread thou and I'll be posting some of my famous recipes later (I gotta ask my g/f really).

DZS likes this.
  3. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Awesome man look forward to it.

4. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Couple of baking adventures ive had recently. Fresh bread is the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fuggly bits are peanuts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sauerkraut made with red cabbage and fermenting mushrooms, seems red cabbage brine goes orange when you ferment mushrooms in it lol

Num47 likes this.
  5. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Baking Adventures continue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 - 5 1/2 cups of flour
    2 cups of warm water
    Yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon oil

Prep the yeast in a large mixing bowl for 10 mins with the sugar and water wait for it to froth up with a plate on top.

Mix in 3 cups of flour till and the oil until you've got quite a nice smooth dough, then add the remaining two cups with the salt and kneed the dough till its elastic. Turn it out on a well floured bench or chopping board, kneed the shit out of it. Plop it back in a well oiled bowl, i used grease proof paper to spread oil around and let it rise for a few hours in a warm place. You can place a lid on top but make sure the plate or whatever your using has been greased so that the dough wont stick to it as it rises.

Once its nicely risen punch it down on a bench or chopping board with a little more flour so it doesn't stick, finally roll it out and get ready to prepare the filling.

Filling

5-10 Spanish sausages, diced
    Half an onion
    1 large carrot diced
    1 cup of grated cheese

Fry the sausages onion and carrot together, add a little pepper for flavor. Place the filling in the center, roll the dough up and form a loaf. Its kinda tricky, very tasty though. Unlike i did put the cheese inside sprinkled on the filling not on top hehe. You can sprinkle stuff like sesame seeds and whole meal flour for a nicer crust, brush a little butter for a crispy crust. Bake at 180c or 356f until it sounds hollow when tapping, about 170c/338f in a fan forced oven. If you can pull off the meaty center do post pics, ima try again for sure.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Num47 likes this.
  6. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    That bread looks so soft... great stuff man.

DZS likes this.
  7. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Thanks. It didn't last long lol. To think this is how people used to eat regularly 100 years ago, when bread was real bread brought from a store. That's actually a big part of why people are seeing me making all these tasty things, i don't buy bread anymore because almost everything in the supermarket atleast in NZ has got rubbish ingredients in it. I wanted to start eating properly, and i do it on a low budget. Eat like a king on a commoners wage.

Eventually i hope to start making proper pies, home made pastry the works. Start up costs a bit cause i want some professional industry pie trays their not cheap. Iron ware and such. The plan is to keep my freezer regularly full of pies, almost never go hungry then and eat better than most people on high incomes. Pies are almost the perfect meal if made with quality ingredients. I'll post this amazing youtube vid at some point showing how to make a good pie.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Num47 likes this.
  8. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017

Num47 likes this.
  9. Jos Heuvelink

Jos Heuvelink Developer Staff Member Developer

Apr 23, 2015
    IMG_1146.jpg Chicken parmigiano with walnut sauce on a piece of french stick. 20180613_183136.jpg just bad for you...

Num47 likes this.