• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Things that need to be added/tweaked before alpha

Thread starter #1

Velocetation

Backer
So we all know that once alpha comes around there will be a new large influx of new players and with those new players you should expect more diversity in play styles and other issues and stuff that a larger more diverse playerbase will bring with it. So bellow are some changes that I think are needed before alpha. All of these things are mostly based on PVP/interactions with other players because currently we do have the PVE side of things but until alpha we wont really get to see a lot of the PVP or interactions with other players side of things which is a side that I personally think needs some attention since a lot of the current changes seems to be made with mostly PVE in mind and I think these suggestions will help balance things out to make sure that once alpha is out and all those players come, we wont have to deal with these problems, so pretty much fixing this stuff before it becomes a problem.

-Balance changes that need to be made with PVP in mind: So with the new influx of players there will probably be a lot more people that will like to PVP, now currently since cases where PVP occurs in the game are really rare, a lot of balance decisions have been made without PVP in mind and that could cause some issues of frustration once alpha arrives, so here are some changes that I think are needed to be made before alpha.
1.Proxy animations need to be a thing because currently when you are playing with someone else or just looking at someone else, most of the time the are just awkwardly standing still or are doing weird stuff that is a bit hard to understand without the actual animations so adding those is one of the things with a higher priority on this list.
2. Weapon damage: Currently there are long range weapons (Clinchester and sniper rifles) that can 1 shot kill anything anywhere the hit it and that's a problem because such weapons will make PVP very frustrating since its just a "who manages to boop the other first" fight and that could be really annoying especially if somebody gets and jump and you and it takes just one shot and you are gone, headshots should still one shot kill people (because it actually takes skill and luck to get those) but body shots should be a two shot or 3 shot to make it so you don't just get easily one shot without any time to react.
3. Locks: Locks will need to be repairable since you can imagine its pretty annoying when the zombies keep on damaging it but you cant repair it but when some dude rolls up and hits it a bit until he gets tired of it and leaves its even going to be worse. Now to make the way of repairing locks something that is not easily abuse-able in situations like being raided and then instantly repairing it thus annoying the raider (in an unfair way) and making it so he has to damage it again only for you to instantly repair it again, to take care of this issue I would suggest adding a button on the lock UI (the one where you type the password and can click the reset button) that says "take off" and that button will only be usable if the lock is unlocked like the reset button, once you take of the lock you will get a lock kit with a certain condition (the condition that it had when you took it off) that you can repair, that way it wont be viable to do while getting raided and you wont need some dumb 30 seconds until you can repair timer. If you guys don't want to make them repairable (It kind of is understandable) then you should still make it so you can take it off.
4. More on locks: Currently its too easy for players to break locks and I am not talking about doing so with guns I am talking about using
melee weapons. Currently a machete does 2 damage to a lock, now add to that your 2 friends and you got a lock cracking crew that will get through a completely locked door (with all the possible locks you can put on it) in mere minutes and add on top of all that the fact that currently breaking a lock doesn't take away any durability from melee weapons and making a base is just asking someone to take your loot, at that point you would be better off hiding it in the woods. So there are two options to go by here, either you make it so melee weapons take a huge hit to durability (Goes down by around 20%-10% ) when you hit locks with them or you make it so they do next to no damage (1 damage at best) to locks, I would say that making the durability drop by a lot is the best option.
5. Grounding stuff: This one is not exactly something that is needed by alpha because its not nearly as important as the other stuff but it is needed in general either before or after alpha so take this as more of a suggestion than anything. So with 0.10 a lot of items without a use slipped through to the physical spawner and one of the is concrete, so I think that you could use concrete as a way to make sure stuff like lamp posts and generators wont be stolen and for someone to move it, they would have to break the concrete, so that would add an extra layer of security to stuff like work lamps so they wont just get stolen the second you put them outside, same with generators and maybe some traps.
6. You should be able to lock electric meters since they are not in the house and thus are not really protect-able which means some random dude can come by whenever he wants and steal your extension cord and easily make it so you cant have running electricity and you will have to go find another one.
7. This one, while its pretty needed, I dont expect it to be added before alpha but I will still add it to here like number 5. Currently there needs to be a system that makes it so zombies dont spawn inside someones base because currently zombies spawning in someone's house is a real problem and its probably easily abuse-able by players and by now I think its pretty clear that I am not talking about the "hey a zombie spawned in my house while I logged in and it hit me" issue, I am talking about zombies breaking from inside the house out, now I have had this problem myself quite a few times now (it became a bigger issue with 0.10 since more zombies now spawn in buildings) in situation where I would go loot and when I got back there were some zombies inside my house and the heard me coming so they started to break my locks and by the time I got the locks unlocked so I could go get them they damaged the locks with some 5%-20% damage (depends on how many there are). So think of how abuse-able this will be with other players, they can just see you have some zombies in your house and then they can make the zombies try to get them, and the zombies will start breaking the locks in the house which pretty much means the just got 1-5 free workers that do 1-2 damage a hit to do the dirty job for them, and its completely silent and easy to do and it will only take around 5 minutes. I would suggest that a system like this would work by checking if all the doors that are used to enter a building are locked, if they are then zombies wont spawn in that building. Of course you can make it more complex by adding checks for windows and stuff like individual rooms if you'd like.

Last edited:

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Some pretty good points, thanks. I hope A2Z team have a read. Its nice when knowledgeable gamers post detailing things that could go wrong. Feel free to make suggestions about various gun mechanics like how much each weapons kickback should be, what amount of damage based on your experience you think the various guns should do. All of these details help to make the game better the more people who post the better.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm all behind zombies not spawning inside a building where a player would be in the vicinity of them going in to 'attack mode'. If we've players inside a building, then zombies could spawn nearby as a natural part of the game and attack. But part of the game is fortifying structures to create a safer area. Seems a bit unfair if the Z's just turn up in an area you have cleared

DZS

Survivor
Backer
I'm all behind zombies not spawning inside a building where a player would be in the vicinity of them going in to 'attack mode'. If we've players inside a building, then zombies could spawn nearby as a natural part of the game and attack. But part of the game is fortifying structures to create a safer area. Seems a bit unfair if the Z's just turn up in an area you have cleared
Im sure in time it'll be fixed, both you and op are quite right its not good that zombies spawn in players bases. There needs to be a base ownership system implemented that allows the spawning system to be controlled. Like a player enters a building and has to do a number of tasks to take ownership, once their done zombies can no longer spawn in that building. Joined apartments would be tricky however it should be possible.