• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Total lockdown - 36 hours

Thread starter #1

henrikcomn

Backer
Hi guys,

What will happen when a player log out of the game just to return playing the next day?
What will happen to the house he have spended hours fortifying and barracading?

What I do fear will happen is that, 99 out of a 100 times, everything previously put in the house will be gone. Looted. Stolen.

So how can we make sure you don't lose everything you 'own' everytime you log off?
Two steps must be met:

1. You need to have barracaded the windows and locked the doors.
2. When logging out of the game while staying inside your house, the house will be under lockdown for 36 hours, giving you a fair chance to return to the game, while not being inaccessible for other players for to long. Under the lockdown, there will be NO WAY to get into the house.

Without a system like this, I fear it will be like starting a new game every single day because you lost your house from the day before.

With hundreds of houses to pick from, I think this could be a very good solution. Of course, while online, breaking in should just be as the hard as the game mechanics are set.

What do you think??

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Backer
Hi guys,

What will happen when a player log out of the game just to return playing the next day?
What will happen to the house he have spended hours fortifying and barracading?

What I do fear will happen is that, 99 out of a 100 times, everything previously put in the house will be gone. Looted. Stolen.

So how can we make sure you don't lose everything you 'own' everytime you log off?
Two steps must be met:

1. You need to have barracaded the windows and locked the doors.
2. When logging out of the game while staying inside your house, the house will be under lockdown for 36 hours, giving you a fair chance to return to the game, while not being inaccessible for other players for to long. Under the lockdown, there will be NO WAY to get into the house.

Without a system like this, I fear it will be like starting a new game every single day because you lost your house from the day before.

With hundreds of houses to pick from, I think this could be a very good solution. Of course, while online, breaking in should just be as the hard as the game mechanics are set.

What do you think??
As much as i like the idea, I feel if a2z take rust's approach. So what you build stays there and your loot persistant but when you log off, you're lying on the floor sleeping. So people can raid you and steal from you. May not kill you but take the things they need. So you can still have some items, just know that you have been raided and your life spared so you can improve your defence, make some new traps and learn from your mistakes!

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
This issue is also worrying me. While I don't like the idea of a total lockdown I do feel that there needs to be systems/items in place to defend against player raids. I don't know how they'll do it but I fear it may not be implemented in the initial release.

Lord Goose

Backer
This issue is also worrying me. While I don't like the idea of a total lockdown I do feel that there needs to be systems/items in place to defend against player raids. I don't know how they'll do it but I fear it may not be implemented in the initial release.
The traps we use against Z's will also be used against people who try to raid your base. That will be your protection my friend!

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I don't think there will be too much of an issue, as long as traps arent overly easy to spot, and you use some cleverness in your defenses, it'd take quite a few people to break into a fully trapped/fortified house. Plus, who would really want to get in that often? there are HUNDREDS of other buildings they could go to for loot. I also think if someone does manage to get past your defenses, chances are they deserve the loot

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
I don't think there will be too much of an issue, as long as traps arent overly easy to spot, and you use some cleverness in your defenses, it'd take quite a few people to break into a fully trapped/fortified house. Plus, who would really want to get in that often? there are HUNDREDS of other buildings they could go to for loot. I also think if someone does manage to get past your defenses, chances are they deserve the loot
The way it looks like to me is kind of like ARK. You don't really need the resources to raid, just the time. Hammer = Dinos

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
From what I saw unless you put your lock on the outside of your door, the door itself can't get broken into, although I may be wrong. If that is true though, then you just have to worry about the windows and such, which can be trapped with things like the shotgun traps, bear traps, etc. Now if doors can get busted in despite the lock with appropriate tools, then youd have to use even more ways to keep people out, either trapping the door, moving furniture in front of it, maybe even barricading it up before you log off with plywood or planks.

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
In the second or third early access preview they showcase weapon cleaning and the door lock system. It's stated that the locks can be smashed off with a hammer.

I do like the idea of putting beartraps under Windows on the inside of the house to stop those pesky raiders.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Those that raid always die tired, but in the event of me not being around to protect my stash... although it's only the hammer to begin with maybe much stronger/louder tools will be available/needed to break-in when we have the option to fortify with more durable/stronger materials... like sheet metal and wood combined over windows/doors. So I hope that the materials used to fortify and noise created by breaking in will somewhat deter people from trying unless they are desprete and the risk of dying is worth it.

There are a few threads with ideas about sleepers and other well thought out mechanics to find ways around this.

I'll see if I can dig them out later.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Maybe taking vital items from other players should lower your mental state as well? Since you know you are somewhat indirectly killing them by taking there food or self-defense weapons.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Maybe taking vital items from other players should lower your mental state as well? Since you know you are somewhat indirectly killing them by taking there food or self-defense weapons.
There could be a fine line where you may not care.. in times of desprate need you may not care, but to counter people getting to this point I'd say your overall health/status must be very low, near death almost.

And to add to this, helping a fellow human who really needs it could give you a "mental boost" also a minor one for the person recieving it maybe.

I went a tad off topic but your fault :p

Lord Goose

Backer
But would that be enough? I guess we'll have to find out upon release.
I guess it comes down to how many traps you have...

I disagree, if you raid someone's base and you find a massive hoard of food/weapons, you'd be over the moon, much like how they are in TWD (The Walking Dead) it would be a massive win for you and your team. Unless you killed them then yeah mentality should be affected.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
xD I actually think it would be neat, and maybe putting items in the chest in place of what you took as a trade can help balance out your mental state

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Just wack this badboy in here:
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/sleepers.3975/

I'll have to say I don't agree with the idea of sleepers there are some good ideas and twists too that idea in here... can't find the others atm, problem with this forum is lots of good ideas hidden among other ideas hehe

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Yeah I get the idea for it, I just hate the thought of being offline raided altogether, especially being killed during one. Whilst in this game it would be mostly on you, yes, you didnt fortify well enough, I still dont know, I like the thought of being able to tie someone up and kidnap them, maybe leave them in the middle of the woods Lol. Im neither here nor there on this one

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Thought of something that involves another good idea and to put my thought in context you'll need the quote I am thinkng of:
What about floor plans?

Thanks @Bchhog ;)
Say each building has a something like an architects blueprint to accompany it (spawns inside somewhere) which without means you don't "own it" kinda like a deed, and without the "deed" your fortifications don't last long, a day or so, so boarding it up with locks and stuff every other day would be a waste of time and materials, which should counter-act people hording "deeds" (unless they team-up and share the property(s) which we want to promote). Now if you own the "deed" (i.e have it in your inventory maybe kept in the journal near the back so it doesn't take up/waste physical space on some paper) and while you are away your fortifications will last twice as long as usual and could also disable the ability for someone to use any log-off position there.

Now with the blueprints maybe they could also be used to plan out traps etc and also could be used to visualise on the floor-plans any broken utilities like a boiler/power outlet and maybe vulnerable entrances/exits.

Could be a silly idea just food for thought.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I definitely think if they did go for something like this, it should definitely have a lot more time then just a day or two, I'd hate to come back after having to take a break due to work and then all my stuff despawned. And the only other reason I could see them potentially not wanting to use this is because it simply doesnt make any sense, might take away from the realism for some, although a magic force-field for awhile around your base for some time would probably be worse.

Always thought that having your character remain in game world even when you logged off sounded like a great & more immersive idea until I played Ark.

It ended up being a hindrance unless you had time to put countless hours into making a base with loads of defences & spent ages taming strong dinosaurs for defence. Lost everything by time you logged back in, though waking up being held prisoner was funny sometimes.

Preferred the DayZ approach of everything on ground and in buildings etc remaining but character & items on your person are saved with character when you log out.