• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Treating your Mentality for your Character

Thread starter #1

Nexodus

Backer
As I've read, you loose mentality by killing zombies and players, eating rat and dog meat, then I think there should be items to work against this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Anti Depressants/Happy pills
-Cigarettes(To calm yourself)
-Eating well prepared food

Last edited by a moderator:

gamejunkie25th

Backer
As I've read, you loose mentality by killing zombies and players, eating rat and dog meat, then I think there should be items to work against this.

-Anti Depressants/Happy pills
-Cigarettes(To calm yourself)
-Eating well prepared food

From what I hear insanity is supposed to decrease over time... This is to be affected by things like your diet and housing situation

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #4

Nexodus

Backer
I think this does the opposite of what the devs want. The implemented this system to reduce the amount PvP. If you could simply put it back to normal with some items, it would be worthless to have this system.
Well, the items does not need to do major changes that it affect to much, but would been necessary if you were to go insane

gamejunkie25th

Backer
Well, the items does not need to do major changes that it affect to much, but would been necessary if you were to go insane
Maybe if you are about to go insane there would be a sound que.... You could then smoke a cig or drink some beer

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
There are Numerous about of threads about this items and this topic id have way to many threads to post here just go to gameplay and all of those

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I did post a thread about this though how about;

when you spend time with another player/players, you form a bond/s which will lower or maintain your mental state, and the more time you spend working together as a team the more bond/friendship you gain and the faster your mental state will go down, though if one of your party members dies, it increases your mental state? and maybe if all of your party dies (providing you have quite a large group) and you're the lone survivor your mental state gets crippled?

I feel it'd encourage players to be more communitive rather then just shoot on sight, I think this with many other ways of lowering mental state (for different play styles) would create quite a unique and dynamic mental health system.

would love some feedback :)

TheClassiness

I definitely think there should be ways to help stabilize your mental state. I'm not suggesting that it should completely reset you back to normal, after all, if you killed four people a cigarette wouldn't fix how you felt. I just think it should at least make your character avoid suicide. Maybe most of these mood increasing objects should have side effects? Cigarettes lower stamina, Depression/Happy Pills could make you loopy, resulting in less gun control or something like that. I think that eating well prepared food should have a lasting effect. If you eat tasty food, you'll be naturally happier, but having a good burger wouldn't really stop you from killing yourself. I think everything else that boosts happiness should require other people as a drawback, such as playing cards.

Thread starter #9

Nexodus

Backer
I definitely think there should be ways to help stabilize your mental state. I'm not suggesting that it should completely reset you back to normal, after all, if you killed four people a cigarette wouldn't fix how you felt. I just think it should at least make your character avoid suicide. Maybe most of these mood increasing objects should have side effects? Cigarettes lower stamina, Depression/Happy Pills could make you loopy, resulting in less gun control or something like that. I think that eating well prepared food should have a lasting effect. If you eat tasty food, you'll be naturally happier, but having a good burger wouldn't really stop you from killing yourself. I think everything else that boosts happiness should require other people as a drawback, such as playing cards.
Yeah, I was thinking about something like that, great details

Fallen Angel

Backer
I agree to Finndawg and to keep house about your mental state should be a real big deal in this game. Because everyone of us has seen Day Z, War Z, Nether and all the other games and people are going crazy killing each other just because the "option" they could kill them. And I guess because of that this game is in an absolute need of a system which prevents such behavior.

At least we have to recall the setting and people have to work together to be able to survive. People will be in need of doctors, mechanics, farmers, nurses and so on to be able to set up a community and survive for a long term. The lone gangster can't survive that long because they have to sleep and everytime they will be alone and maybe get killed... or they will get ill and noone is taking care of them... and they get killed... there are so many reasons why it is better to build up a community at those times.

Maybe some of your parents can remember the WWII and how people survived that... and there weren't zombies around who are going to kill everyone alive. Implementing items which would be able to stabilize your mental state would lead to the Day Z syndrom... and nobody wants that again and again in every game. Because those people could just stay with Day Z and co.

But those items have some kind of usefullness anyway. Having a cigarette would help you keeping warm inside and drinking a little bit of whiskey might help too. Sleeping medicine could help you sleeping while zombies howling outside and lightning and thunder could make it even worse. I'd point in the direction of a game called "Project Zomboid". You could get bored, cold and some more states which could be helped by your ideas @ op.

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
I think this does the opposite of what the devs want. The implemented this system to reduce the amount PvP. If you could simply put it back to normal with some items, it would be worthless to have this system.
i think that if the items are rare enough it wont offset the system much but the lack of could make defending yourself from players PvPing vary costly

Applejaxc

Backer
I could imagine laying waste to a group of freshspawns and celebrating with a drag from a nice cigar I found on a corpse that morning. In regards to your well-prepared meal suggestion, it is already confirmed that "Rat burgers" and other unsavory meals will reduce your mental state; I would assume on the other end of the spectrum, eating well (while not directly increasing mental stability) at least gives it time to slowly regain on its own accord.

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
The single biggest element of this game I like is the mentality system, it's brilliant and innovative. That said, nothing should reduce mentality except time and healthy living. Just one persons opinion here, but do we really want to diminish such an awesome concept even a little?

Davz Not Here

Backer
I think not enough credence is being given to 'the little' things and how their affect will effect a persons morale, which is a reflection of someones mental state.

Watch Band of Brothers ep. 6 Bastogne ..... a single piece of chocolate can go a long way, 1 hour 100 yards away from the front line can change your morale, a single hot shower or meal, one victory ..... and the list of stories like this goes way beyond wartime .....

Another game that has some focus on a players mental state is 'This War of Mine' which I do recommend, and might give some game play examples of how mental state affects things .....

that being said ti certainly should remain balanced with the game, and we all know what it's like to try and cheer someone up ..... though, I would presume not in such extreme conditions as those presented in this game