• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Treehouses **Confirmed In-Game**

Is it a good idea?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Arisu

The Bear Grylls Of Survive The Nights
Backer
Okay, as a rough starting point, I was imagining a treehouse, it has a few pros and cons that can assist and threaten the player, it also provides the player with an easy-to-construct out of town location.

Pros:

Constructed from easy to gather timber / nails
Fortified with corrugated iron etc

Optional roof access

Can hide ladders during daytime
Elevates players from threats
Provides overwatch to the land​

Cons:

Minimal electrical use

Requires ladders, which can be stolen
Wood can rot, reducing strength / hit-points

Flammable
Easy to lose in a forest​

As stated, this is just a rough starting point, I hope for this to snowball into a polished, balanced and well thought out idea that could possibly be implemented.

I was going to attach some pictures but I am sure most people have a basic understanding of a treehouse and its many designs.

- Charlie

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
If they allowed large player made structres then this would be interesting but for the time being I would like to see tree houses next to residential homes. They could provide a higher vantige point like you described but you couldn't put a lot of items in it. Like you said you would need a ladder wich could be easilly stolen but a upgrade could be a rope ladder. You would need ten small pieces of wood and two long pieces of rope. On the setting on fire some people have made good points as to why they might not add the ability to burn down buildings so it might not work if it's a regular building, but if they include a player made one like you have suggested it might be easier to do and less frame intensive. If you attack the built tree house you could just burn down the tree house and leave the tree a little scorched, it could make sense since the tree house would be a lot dryer then the tree it is attached to.

The rotting idea sounds interesting, you would have to maintain the structre so it dosen't deteriorate over a period of time. If they add it as a player made structre then maybe they can change the model when it reaches a certain deterioration. It wouldn't have to be much but they could show a few empty spaces where boards have rotten out, and the existing wood could get darker.

Also to mke sure they are not completly impervious to zombies since the objective is to survive the hordes at night. For a couple of suggestions I have seen I hope they give zombies the ability to climb. You could still defend it by watching the entrance and peuttinhg a lot of traps around but it would still be dangerious if the zombies could climb up.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Welcome to the forums @Arisu , I am glad you joined us on the forums to help with suggestions and ideas. Most of the things I was going to add on the topic on this thread has been covered by @BlackWater , although this topic has already been suggested multiple times (will provide links). Although they are locked and not up to further discussion so you would be unable to add to your voice to the subject. But on the bright side you can see some other opinions on the idea, although you should use the search function in the future to make sure your suggestion hasn't been suggested yet. Thanks for posting and I hope to see more ideas from you soon!

Links:
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/treehouses-hunting-treehouses.2262/#post-21590
http://www.community.survivethenights.net/threads/tree-houses.217/

Thread starter #4

Arisu

The Bear Grylls Of Survive The Nights
Backer
Those are all excellent ideas @BlackWater , I love the idea of the zombies climbing so you are almost required to keep an eye on the entrance, I also like the idea of planks getting deteriorated.

Why thank you @Crazypineapple55 , I had searched however as you stated, they were locked and I felt I had a few valid opinions I could put forward in regards to the possible implementation.

Davz Not Here

Backer

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
That tree house village is pretty cool, I remember a similar one in a DayZ Epoch Server I think the admin had added it. A small tree house village like the one in the video would make a pretty cool addition to STN I could def see it as a popular spot. They're all accesed by stair's or bridges so zombies should be able to get to players so it wouldn't be too strong of an location.

It would be pretty cool to see a small village like that taken over by survivors and covered in lights and trap's.

Moderator #9

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I personally feel the most plausible implementation of a treehouse would be having them in before the apocalypse hits... and be able to access them with a ladder. Potentially be able to barricade some windows off, or slightly expand on them w/ craftable things, but not be able to outright build a treehouse.

I am a firm believer that it adds realism to use buildings/structures that are already there, not building completely new ones.

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
No offense, but the whole zombies climbing thing sounds a little weird. From what I've seen in gameplay videos and the trailers, the zombies seem to be slow shamblers, and climbing up treehouses seems a bit too coordinated for them. Also, I think like Blackwater said, if there were some kind of treehouse village place, I think it would be a popular place for other survivors, so maybe zombies aren't as big of a problem as other players. One last thing, I think the possibility of being trapped in a treehouse with zombies blocking the ladder below is a great enough danger to stop the treehouse from being to overpowered.

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
good idea hopefully if added they would also allow smaller tree houses that can be camouflaged to hide from players as well

crimsonkid

Backer
i messaged them a while back about that and this is wut they said

• crimsonkid

Aug 10 2014
    thanks and i wanted to know if there is gonna be a way to build tree houses

• a2z(Interactive);

Aug 10 2014

Hello Crimsonkid,

We're actually working on "tree stands" right now (for hunting purposes). Tree houses sound like a cool idea we'll run it by the team!

Regards,

Jb
    Design/Co-founder a2z(interactive);

crimsonkid

Backer
oh and after the stress test can u guys try to add in tree platforms and rope bridges for the tree houses? and yes make it so that if u chop down trees with the houses or stuff in them that the structure will fall with it and maybe add a way to fortify the trees so people can try to prevent that from happening. yes pitch these ideas to the team but after the stress tests. and thanks guys for all ur hard work and i cant wait to play the game.