• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

True Testing server

Hardcore server?

• Yes

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Hey Guys,

Not to jump the gun on the new video update but I was thinking about getting like minded individuals together for a few servers I want to spin up at day 1 of pre-alpha launch.

My thoughts are to have two or three servers up that I manage and you guys can use for actually testing the game.

The first server will be a no rule all out general play server. What will this server be based on? Well if the options through the web interface are truly capable of complete customization I was thinking of tweaking it in a way to appeal to the more high end gamer. (head shot only, more zombies and so on).

The second will be like the first but more of a No KOS enforced server. Killing will be aloud to an extent. Examples of this would be a raid on another's base for supplies. There will be a fire fight but if you have a big enough group a threat of death can be given and they will suffer the consequences of not leaving or surrendering. Just as long as there is some form of rhetoric I am ok with that. But panic shooting or killing without a leave or die wont be tolerated.

The third will be my personal server that I will play on and invites to that will be given on certain conditions but restricted.

No fee to join just want people who actually want to test and play the game with a bit of class.

Let me know your thoughts and if you'd like to be a party to these. I am open for suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I voted for Yes.
Getting a group of gamers together to fully test the game and report back to the Dev. team sounds like a great idea.
I'm not wanting to brag, but STN won't stress my gaming rig or internet connectivity.
Perhaps this will be a chance for me to fully repay this fantastic community for all the support I've received?

Thread starter #3

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I voted for Yes.
Getting a group of gamers together to fully test the game and report back to the Dev. team sounds like a great idea.
I'm not wanting to brag, but STN won't stress my gaming rig or internet connectivity.
Perhaps this will be a chance for me to fully repay this fantastic community for all the support I've received?
I am waiting to finish my Basement and kitchen before I buy my new rig but mine is a POS XD. Hopefully I can get everything purchased before the Pre-alpha release. But even so I can play Dayz, H1Z1, Naval Action and KSP fine.

I don't want a fancy lite up case or any BS Solid state hard drive as I play online and it doesn't do anything to help that only local end loading.

Any tips for builds? here is what I was thinking:
PowerColor AXRX RADEON Red Devil RX-570 Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 Video Card
Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze A...
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO X370 AM4 ATX AMD Mother...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Process...
Crucial 32GB 16GB x 2 DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 Desktop ..

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well there @NothingsTRUE , you've 'got me started' now.
I'm more an Intel and NVidia fan than AMD after some bad experiences when I built my first machine back in the early 90s.
Sorry to have to say, you might have to have components that have lighting on-board as you move over to the good stuff. I didn't want it, but even my RAM has LEDs on it.
I don't know when your refresh cycle for the machine will crop up. I always go for hardware just behind the 'bleeding edge'.
Have you checked the PCI bus lanes on the motherboard and processor? You need to make sure your GPU is getting all bus lanes available it can use. With an 8 core CPU, you'll want to make sure you can use all of that power 'talking' to the graphics card so you can get the most out of that.
For me, it's all about headroom.
However good your rig is, there will always be a bottleneck somewhere. The skill is moving that round so it doesn't affect your experience too much.
The spec. you suggest looks good. Memory looks good at 16GB of DDR4 (is that dual channel?). Processor rather rocks the specs.
I'd like to get back on my high horse and talk about SSDs again.
You're right, just startup and access times are improved, and still not as durable as traditions HDDs. But even online games use a client/server config., so there is some local activity going on. SSDs will improve this and might just give you a slight edge in games. Again, it will be your internet connection to the server that is the major factor here.
Your call, but if you've never tried an SSD, I think they're worth a look at.
What have you thought about with cooling? Case, fans, water cooled? If you're going to 'wind that puppy up', then it needs to be kept cool!

Thread starter #6

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I have had 4 AMD machines (prebuilt) and I have loved the performance for the money. For me it offers great power while keeping in a budget. I have checked and modified the original list for parts as I checked the specs and some of the components I want were different and not supported by that motherboard. I was always told and confirmed that the SSD's do have a slight advantage when It comes to certain aspecs but if its not hosted on my machine the SSD wont matter as it will be up to my internet. I am a Telecommunications guy and am pretty foreign to PC builds. When it comes to G450's and so on I am comfy :). As far as cooling I have a mini Rack with its on A/C and exhaust fan going out the window in my "office". Haven't set it up yet but that will be my main source of cooling :) its actually really cool! Its made for F5 firewalls in smaller data centers (like 10 x 10 rooms). Anyways thanks for the tips I might be PMing you for some advice when I do the build (first personal PC I will be building). Any thought on mini ATX builds? Small form factor with lots of power? I was curious of those because of the small form factor.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I have to agree that AMD solutions provide the 'bang for the buck' on paper. And I won't knock them. My own experience in the early days was bad, it's the only reason I stay clear now. I'm sure they're much better than my experience with them back in the early 90s. Perhaps @Clinton could give more insight here?
I'm happy we agree in the internet connectivity being the limiting factor on game performance.
When it comes to building your first machine, it sounds like you're 'doing it right'. Research first, review and research again! For me, it got a bit scary with the last build. So many different configurations and things to work out with compatibility between components.
Take it slow and you'll be fine. Trust me, I'm a doctor!
I've normally 'gone large' for PC builds. Big cases with lots of room so I can organise things neatly with full size ATX boards. I have built a micro ATX machine that runs my hardware firewall, and that was fiddly to say the least. 4 core intel processor, dual 1Gb network, WiFi, 500Gb HDD, 4Gb RAM and the rest. All in a box that's less than 6x6x½ inches. It runs hot.
For me, it's about overhead/headroom. The less you stress the system, the longer it will last, and the better it will run.