• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Update 1 - Backer Release and What’s to Come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #101

JB_

Developer
Developer
Could we get some gameplay footage updates like Jayty used to do? We haven't seen any raw gameplay in a while. I dont think people would mind the backer alpha taking longer if they saw the game has been progressing.
Yeah the update says Jay will be doing a devlog video :)

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
Well @Norton you know there's only a small team working on this project, and you know they are spread out across the globe and always willing to spend time talking to us.
Software development is a thankless task.
It's never quick enough, always chucks you unexpected problems (Like the complete rewrite and compiler system hardware failure @a2z(Interactive); have been through).
And then when you give your customers the initial product they moan even more because they didn't understand what they actually spent their money on. That's not the fault of the Dev team, they want to bring us a "game they want to play".
If it takes two more years, or two thousand, I will be right behind the team here. Because I've been through some of the pain they're facing.
Rant over ... I'm hear all week if anyone wants to vent at me via PM/DM
I understand that when it comes to having a small development team that issues will pop-up regardless, but, what I feel as if they're trying to make isn't an Alpha, but, more of a Beta product. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, it's just I'm getting tired of waiting for a product in which I paid to test, if there's issues then that's that, bugs, etc... I don't care about the issues, I doubt anyone here really does because we knew what we paid for.

But, what I want to know is what the issues are in which pushes them back another couple weeks or a month for that matter, because I feel as if a lot of us have waited patiently enough for at least a stress test to say. Not trying to be rude in any way, but my patience is running out. (This is not an attack, I just don't have the patience for a game I really want to test)

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
I understand that when it comes to having a small development team that issues will pop-up regardless, but, what I feel as if they're trying to make isn't an Alpha, but, more of a Beta product. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, it's just I'm getting tired of waiting for a product in which I paid to test, if there's issues then that's that, bugs, etc... I don't care about the issues, I doubt anyone here really does because we knew what we paid for.

But, what I want to know is what the issues are in which pushes them back another couple weeks or a month for that matter, because I feel as if a lot of us have waited patiently enough for at least a stress test to say. Not trying to be rude in any way, but my patience is running out. (This is not an attack, I just don't have the patience for a game I really want to test)
I think the bugs are little more serious, than what we think. For example if you place meat in campfire and that meat disappears, the game is ready for release, however if you place the meat and the game crashes, thats a game not ready for release.

Last edited:

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
I think the bugs are little more serious, than what we think. For example if you place meat in campfire and that meat disappears, the game is ready for release, however if you place the meat and the game crashes, thats a game not ready for release.
That's what we acknowledged when buying an alpha game, anything could happen. That's the process of buying and testing a game that's still in it's early development stages...

Thread starter Admin #107

JB_

Developer
Developer
@JB_ Can you tell us how many people are currently working on the game? I'm not asking how many different people have contributed over time. I'm talking about programmers, artists, modelers and the like, that are currently and ACTIVELY engaged in work on the pre-alpha.
6 of us currently.

Jay - Programming
Andre - World design and all around wizard
John - Aminations
Jos - Level design and grunt work
Me - Community manager/Interior design.

EDIT - Totally forgot about Clinton!

Clinton - Programming (Joined the team a couple of weeks ago)

Last edited:

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
That's what we acknowledged when buying an alpha game, anything could happen. That's the process of buying and testing a game that's still in it's early development stages...
I get where both of you are coming from, but another thing is what if they know and are trying to fix it already? Then they don't really need testing, and honestly wouldn't want it, since it would be hundreds of people telling them something they already know about. And you know how judgmental people are, they'll review an EA game like this poorly and be all like "Yeah this game sucks, every-time I interact with campfire game crashes 0/10." Because people aren't smart like that. Now clearly thats not with everyone and will likely happen nonetheless, but they don't need to be informed about things they already know about.

Thread starter Admin #109

JB_

Developer
Developer
This post was meant to inform everyone about the upcoming video. I fail to see how our personal goal of getting you keys in July is "Another missed date"

Damed if you do, dammed if you don't. I just wanted to get some quick info out to everyone letting them know what's up. I'm not defending the team here because there's no reason to. I'll close this thread tomorrow if it's just going to be pointless and continues drivel about an imaginary 'release date'.

We're here to discuss the game.

Last edited:
Thread starter Admin #112

Dodecahedron

Your favorite Platonic Solid
Backer
Like @JB_ said, this thread was meant to provide some information; this is exactly what the first post did. I honestly see no reason to keep this thread open. Just lock it (my personal opinion). When there is new info to share, just create a new thread. And I personally recommend locking and sticking threads which are 'just' updates, and not meant to facilitate a discussion.

SoleSurvivor

Survivor
Backer
6 of us currently.

Jay - Programming
Andre - World design and all around wizard
John - Aminations
Jos - Level design and grunt work
Me - Community manager/Interior design.

EDIT - Totally forgot about Clinton!

Clinton - Programming (Joined the team a couple of weeks ago)
Thanks for the info. Have you guys been following Dead Matter, which opened it's kickstarter this month? Does the emergence of a direct competitor affect the StN team's development process at all? They have a team of 10 and the footage they released is already pretty slick. They also blew through their KS funding goal in just 7 days and are already past the $100K mark.

Sorry, not trying to advertise another game, I'm just wondering if it creates pressure that causes you to hold back on the StN release.

Dodecahedron

Your favorite Platonic Solid
Backer
Thanks for the info. Have you guys been following Dead Matter, which opened it's kickstarter this month? Does the emergence of a direct competitor affect the StN team's development process at all? They have a team of 10 and the footage they released is already pretty slick. They also blew through their KS funding goal in just 7 days and are already past the $100K mark.

Sorry, not trying to advertise another game, I'm just wondering if it creates pressure that causes you to hold back on the StN release.
I'm not a mod, but I think this "Update 1 - Backer Release and What’s to Come!" thread is the wrong location for this question. You should ask that question in the 'General Discussion' section. Although it's probably not your intent, your post might be considered provocative.

I suggest to post legitimate questions (yours is legit) in the proper sections, and creating new threads, if a fitting thread doesn't already exist. Conversations in threads are great, but they should align with the thread's topic and not touch (many) other points.

NickODG

Oh so pretty oh so pretty
Lead Mod
Backer
I'm not a mod, but I think this "Update 1 - Backer Release and What’s to Come!" thread is the wrong location for this question. You should ask that question in the 'General Discussion' section. Although it's probably not your intent, your post might be considered provocative.

I suggest to post legitimate questions (yours is legit) in the proper sections, and creating new threads, if a fitting thread doesn't already exist. Conversations in threads are great, but they should align with the thread's topic and not touch (many) other points.
yup this is the wrong place for that you are right, This is for your thoughts on the update and what not. @jb perhaps think about locking up :D

SoleSurvivor

Survivor
Backer

Sorry, but you're wrong. This post is about the fact that they are not going to release the pre-alpha in July. My question relates to that topic because I asked if the emergence of a competitor has any effect on their decisions to release or not. It think that if the StN team is keeping tabs on other games and saw a direct competitor that is potentially releasing in EA on Steam in six months, they might say, "You know, we might need to work on features A, B and C if we are going to have to compete with (insert other game here)."

At least you are right about one thing - you aren't a mod. Stop trying to dictate the discussion. If the real mods want to remove it they can do so.

SoleSurvivor

Survivor
Backer
yup this is the wrong place for that you are right, This is for your thoughts on the update and what not. @jb perhaps think about locking up :D
I'm sorry, but complaining about the content of another person's post does not pertain to the original topic. You said it yourself - this post is for thoughts on the update. Unlike your complaint about what I wrote, my post is very much on topic since it asks if a competing title has any impact on their development process. If you want to complain about another poster, maybe you should make a thread in another section.

Status
Not open for further replies.