• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Update 5 - Mod Testing | Progress and Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
Hey all,

Just a quick update to let you all know how things are going. The moderators joined us on the servers towards the end of last week. This is the first time people outside of the development team have joined servers since the second stress test. It's also the first time people are joining something that actually resembles a game :).

Things are progressing nicely. Looking at the current situation optimistically, we think it's fair to guesstimate backers getting keys sometime in October! The current builds are pretty strong but there are issues that need to be addressed before a release to nearly 15,000 people. In the last 10 or so days, the mods have found 100's of issues and we've burned our way through quite a few builds already.

We want to reiterate here that the mods are not finding 'all of the bugs'. They're helping us reach a respectable level of stability. The release you'll be playing in the next couple of weeks is not a game. It's pre-alpha and essentially an extended stress test. The builds that go public will likely be missing many of the alpha trailer features. It will likely stress and test mostly zombie behavior. It will be our main focus initially because it's a zombie survival game. Initially zeds and survival mechanics will take center stage. That is once we get over the server/influx hump. There are going to be countless issues moving forward, down times, server crashes, client crashes, buggy AI and player playability. If you're expecting a polished game then you're going to be disappointed and we would suggest that you wait for the Steam Early Access release. We will likely be doing a stream with mods showcasing exactly what to expect a week or so before keys go out.

The mods have been working on issues and you can track a small fraction of their fixes on our changelog. I've not really had the time to keep this updated over the past couple of months and it will be replaced with a far more dynamic Trello board once keys go out. Below I've included spoiler tags. You'll find moderator performance results and their thoughts on these first basic test builds if you're interested. There are also a ton of screenshots on our discord from the mods. I'll include some of the best here incase you're not on discord. You can also find loads of them here in this dedicated thread.

In closing, we'll run yet another week of mod testing and we'll get back to everyone next weekend. Hopefully we'll have some more news and if possible, a more refined initial release date. Thanks for the continued patience. All the new support and excitement on the discord over the new .gifs and screenshots have been great!

**Any performance and feedback in this spoiler is likely to change over the course of the games development, and is only intended to show performance and my thoughts on the state of the current test build.**

Test version 0.4.0

SPECS -
i7 4790K at 4ghz, turbo boost disabled
2x8 gb Vengeance Pro Ram @2400mhz
Sapphire RX 480 8gb connected to a 22” 5ms 1920x1080 Full HD monitor via Display port to VGA cable – Driver version 17.9.3 installed.
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully updated on date of testing(08/10/17)

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra (Vsync off) unless otherwise stated (if you’d like feedback on other settings with this rig, please let me know).

Connecting – From launching on Steam, to being in game has taken anywhere between 27 to 55 seconds on a wired internet connection 40 down 9 up (maximum available speed).

Performance

Min – 32 fps
Max – 70 fps
Avg – 51 fps

CPU usage sat between 35-45%
Ram usage peaked just under 8gb and sat at between 6.5-7gb usage for the majority of the test
GPU usage sat at a constant 100% usage throughout testing

Thoughts – Runs really well, but there have been some rubber banding and lag issues in the build, which is to be expected at this stage in development. Even with occasional frame drops to the minimum (40) that I got, it was still a really smooth experience, nights are super spooky and made for some unintended fun times.

Zombies are brutal, and death is almost guaranteed at night currently, although I did manage to survive one night. Demo and I took up vantage points in the parking lot at Popovs, while JB brought a lil horde to us (never seen him move so fast) having the higher ground was a massive advantage and allowed us to pick off the zeds, unfortunately our aim was a lil bit off and JB didn’t make it ;)

It looks as good (on my rig) as it does in the screenshots, and exploring the map is a great experience itself.

Second Test Rig

Intel G3220 @3ghz
2x4gb HyperX Fury @ 1066mhz
XFX HD6870 1GB connected to a 46” TV via HDMI
500Gb HDD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully updated on date of testing (08/10/17)

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra and 1280x720 on Low Presets

Connecting – From launching on Steam, to being in game has taken around 2 minutes 30 seconds on a wired internet connection 40 down 9 up (maximum available speed).

Performance

Ultra 1920x1080

CPU - 82%
GPU - 100%
Ram - 5.5gb - 7.6gb usage

Min – 7 fps
Max – 13 fps
Avg – 10 fps

Low 1280x720
CPU - 78%
GPU - 100%
RAM - 4.5gb - 6gb

Min - 22
Max - 43
Avg - 32

**Any performance and feedback in this spoiler is likely to change over the course of the games development, and is only intended to show performance and my thoughts on the state of the current test build.**

Test version 0.3.2

SPECS -
CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.3ghz
MEM - 8GB Kingston HyperX Black RAM @1600mhz
GPU GeForce GTX 770 2GB
MOBO - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Screen - 42” 6ms 1920x1080 HD Display
HD - 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra (Vsync off) unless otherwise stated (if you’d like feedback on other settings with this rig, please let me know).

Connecting – Launching the game from desktop to the main menu screen took between about 8 and 20 seconds. Main Menu to being in a server takes about 16 to 32 seconds @ 65mb down 6mg up via speed test.

Performance

Min – 38 fps
Max – 82 fps
Avg – 60 fps

CPU usage sat between 35-55%
Ram usage peaked at about 7.9GB and ran about 5.0GB usage for the majority of the test

Thoughts – First and foremost, I like the atmosphere of STN. It feels like what I've personally wanted in a zombie apoc. open world survival game for a long time. Night is scary as hell, and I've been caught off guard and been "jump-scared" by a zombie attacking me or noticing it just a couple feet behind me... And the reason why it scares you that much, is because a single zombie can deal major damage and kill you pretty quickly. 2-3 zombies on you at one time, I promise, you're long gone. Honestly, this is how I've always wanted to see zombies in a game, so I am very excited to see this progress. I almost hope they get a little tougher even to make players hone their thinking and reasoning skills in; games just don't push the envelope anymore in this fashion, but they are pretty nasty in STN as it stands right now.

I personally enjoy the technical side of things as much, or sometimes even more-so than actually playing, at this point at least. Trying to help the devs make a super fun game that hopefully brings something fresh in the genre is what I've always aimed for. Being able to test a load of features and bug find is extremely important so that when Backers get the game it will be more "playable". I wouldn't expect a polished game by any means (shouldn't be expected), but a lot of the main issues and stability, I hope we can resolve so players won't have to deal with them, it's no fun.

Overall, the game definitely has the foundation for something we haven't really seen before, or followed-through with at least. In my opinion, already in this early of a stage of development STN has done a nicer job than some major titles with a few features. There is a lot of work to be done, bugs squashed and and it'll be worth the wait for sure. I'd be more than happy to give my thoughts on testing up until now if anyone has additional questions.

Test version 0.3.2

SPECS -
CPU - i7 4790K @ 4ghz
MEM - 2x8 16gb ram
GPU - Zotac gtx 970
Screen - 2 24inch 1920x1080p monitors
HD - 4TB HDD 60GB SSD not in use
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully updated on date of testing (30/9/17)

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra (Vsync off) unless otherwise stated.

Connecting – From launching on Steam, to being in game has taken around 30 seconds on a wireless internet connection 40 down 10 up (maximum available speed).

Performance

Min – 40 fps
Max – 90 fps
Avg – 60 fps

CPU usage sat between 25-35%
Ram sits at around 4GB usage for the majority of the test

Thoughts – The game is really well optimized for the current stage it is at, many issues with rubber banding and lag in our current and previous builds but a simple relog usually sorts that out for the time being, From my running around and killing JB plenty of times in towns and out of towns playing the game at 40+ FPS feels really nice and smooth. Killing JB was surprisingly easy the man just cannot aim so if you see him kill him LOL. The map itself looks really good currently as well and I had fun just walking around it exploring. DEVELOPER EDIT - He's filthy cheater.

The night times are really really dark and it makes the game all the better IMO with the hordes of zombies (10+) roaming the streets waiting to kill you and the noises they make scare the heck out of you as well when you cant see them. Even with spawned in guns and ammo it was a real challenge to survive at night, the zombies have no mercy and will kill you in seconds if you are not careful.

The screenshots posted here on the forums and discord look as good as it does in game on ultra for me, little less quality in the screens ofc.

Overall it's been really good, we have been finding lots of bugs in the game and getting a new build one after the other, My confidence in the devs has grown along with all the SoonTM's xD. Although the backer access will and you should expect it to still be buggy if you do not already, I'd guess a lot of you will enjoy it. I'm open to any questions about my time testing, and will respond as soon as possible.

Test version 0.3.2

SPECS -
CPU - AMD 8350FX (Black Edition) at 4ghz
MEM - 2x4 gb GEIL DDR3 @2200mhz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
Screen - 22” 2ms 1920x1080 Full HD monitor via HDMI
HD - 256gb SSD
OS - Windows 10 Fam 64 bit, fully updated on date of testing (30/9/17)

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra (Vsync off) unless otherwise stated.

Connecting – From launching on Steam, to being in game has taken anywhere between 5 to 10 seconds on a wired internet connection 500 down 200 up (maximum available speed).

Performance

Min – 50 fps
Max – 115 fps
Avg – 82 fps

CPU usage sat between 60-75%
Ram usage peaked just under 8gb and sat at between 6.5-7.5gb usage for the majority of the test

Thoughts
During the first build, we did a lot of bug hunting.

The first hours of connections also allowed us to discover the game. My first connection was in the middle of the night, I could not see anything. I strolled through the forest and found a cabin. I searched several pieces of furniture. After that, I saw that I was carrying a weapon and a torch, which was convenient. I played an hour as a normal player.

The night is violent, the zombies are also violent. We can kill easily 1.2 gold 3 zombies goal we can be surprised and see it appear behind us. You can kill them with one bullet in their heads.

After that, the tests began. I've noticed a few problems with rubber banding and lag issues in the build.

I made several screenshots in high. I hope you saw them on Discord or on the forum.

I think, from my personal opinion, the game is not ready for the backer release. The game can be fun but it needs to be refined. If you could wait a few more weeks, the game can be really cool to you.
If you want more informations about my config or anything else, let me know.

Test version 0.3.2 (2nd PC) (PC on the cloud)

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620 v4 2.10 Ghz
12 gb DDR4 3000Mhz
256Gb SSD
GTX 1070 8Gb connected to a 22” 2ms 1920x1080 Full HD monitor via HDMI/DisplayPort – Driver version 385.69 installed.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully updated on date of testing (30/09/2017)

Feedback is based on my experience in 1920x1080 Ultra

Performance

Min – 80 fps
Max – 180+ fps
Avg – 110 fps

Some screens from the guys -

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator #5

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Glad to be help to the devs and the progress of the game. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask, or catch me in the Discord channel, I'm always willing to give an honest and fair assessment of my experience.

Arthur Dubrovka

Backer
Great!!! Thanks for Info!
This sounds really good...
we think it's fair to guesstimate backers getting keys sometime in October!
...but if it wont come out in Oct. people will get mad again.

The builds that go public will likely be missing many of the alpha trailer features. It will likely stress and test mostly zombie behavior. It will be our main focus initially because it's a zombie survival game.
This sounds really solid! Great that you guys flesh out the core system first.

DocteurOod

Survive if I can...
Backer
Moderator #10

strategos2411

Lead Moderator
Lead Mod
Backer
For everyones info, the server went down yesterday before I could test on the G3220 rig, but i'll add feedback on the latest build asap

Thread starter Admin #11

JB_

Developer
Developer
Great!!! Thanks for Info!
This sounds really good...

...but if it wont come out in Oct. people will get mad again.

This sounds really solid! Great that you guys flesh out the core system first.
I know it brother but if I don't give some kind of guess all these comments would have been "derp scam, derp dates derp delay" :p

Sebouzer948

Backer
Wow!! Looks amazing guys. Keep up the good work. The night looks really creepy. Cant wait to kill those zombies....or get killed by them loll

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
My word! All that work going in. Has everyone seen the change log? I'm happy tree chopping mechanics are being reviewed ... All I want to do is chop trees, kill zombies, find bugs and make in game friends :)

Legion3x

Backer
I really like the fact the nights look dark and terrifying as this is a feature I feel a lot of other survival games lack, my only concern is people altering gamma or brightness to see at night. Are people going to be able to do this in the initial release or will it be locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.