1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgradable locks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by itsJonny, Jan 16, 2018.

1. itsJonny

itsJonny United States Army Backer

Jun 18, 2017
    I believe the way the current lock system on doors is unfair. There have been break-in tests done on these locks and it take approximately 90 bullets from a 9mm to break the lock. Grab a Clinchester .308 and it'll be even less rounds. The intruder can be in my house in approximately 5 minutes assuming I only had one lock into my loot room. Ammo is a lot easier to find than it is all of the equipment to make a lock.

Now take that same scenario, but this time he has 2 friends with him. That's approximately 30 bullets of 9mm each and instead of 5 minutes, that's now cut in half.
    Yes, raiding is part of the game, it's survival, I understand that. But it isn't very fair to players if their loot can be stolen from them 5 minutes after they have logged off.

With all of this being said, I believe there should be upgradable locks, or different tiers of locks.
    I had a discussion with somebody on Discord when I brought this idea up and this is what I thought of.

1. Basic lock - The locks that are currently in-game
    2. Dead bolt - Extra security and also more durability than the basic lock
    3. Reinforced bar - Something that you see in every apocalypse movie (ironic) A wooden/metal bar that can be latched/unlatched which also provides extra security and more durability than both the basic lock and dead bolt.

Since you're allowed to have 4 'basic locks' on your door currently, you should also be able to have these locks used in variety. Whether it's 2 basic locks, 1 dead bolt, and a reinforced bar. Or 3 basic locks and 1 dead bolt. You get the point.

I appreciate all feedback as I would like to hear what everybody thinks.

KS_Salem, DemoCar82 and Num47 like this.
  2. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    Great ideas, locks are something talked about all over the place so nice one for bringing it up for a recent discussion in one place.

Much like fortification of windows with the freedom of placement and hopefully in the furutre some multiple/combo ways to secure the window, the same with locks and doors should atleast be better gameplay wise with how well you do secure the structure as a whole, and make people think of how well to raid it or not.

I won't go off-topic with other thoughts of how to fortify a dooor because this is too good, so I'll just +1 this whole idea.
    :)

DemoCar82 and itsJonny like this.
  3. Sneakydude

Sneakydude Survivor Backer

Jul 24, 2016
    I think locks, are basically important to break like in real life. You can shoot out around it. Yet there maybe other ways we can re enforce the doors behind and windows. Such as traps etc... That way if the door is basically "Kicked in" Your 2nd trap system will go off such as shotgun traps, bear traps, etc.. and the list can grow. This could kill the players in a circle radius of 1m-5 unless it is more an explosion then we could extend the damage. If it is just a basic door lock, or deadbolt it maybe only able to stop a person for so long.

This is a good idea to add in more, however we may have to wait and see if modding or the devs have the time to even go this far. Lets see how the steam sales go after its ready.

Num47 likes this.
  4. Sneakydude

Jul 24, 2016
    At what point do we protect everything we have fully to 100%? since nothing can be protected that much. The only way is to bury hidden containers around the map.

You just can only scare off 1 or 2 people, after someone dies, a group will go in and take whatever they want. It will need to be determined by server admins how to control this type of behavior. We can do it.

5. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    You bring up a good point with the destrusction of doors, this could be something redone to have other things possible but it could also be left as-is, same goes for the idea of changing the exterior/interior doors to something better... but mutltiple and varied locks is something I'd still like too see/have.

Sneakydude likes this.
  6. Sneakydude

Jul 24, 2016
    Arma exile, you have to use explosives or lock picks. It will take over 30 minutes to crack a lock, and they can break. The explosives could sound an alarm server wide that someone is trying to break into xxx base around the map. If your not online how do we stop scavengers?

Num47 likes this.
  7. FallenEmber

FallenEmber Well-Known Member Backer

Nov 27, 2016
    How about we go with 7DTD style "land claim block" but apply that logic to the locks:
    When the lock owner is online it'll have 100% armor rating, and the owner will have a chance to defend his/her claim.
    When the owner is offline, the lock could have a determined % armor rating, for example, 200% or 500%.

For the time being, what needs to be fixed is how locks glitch out after 1 use and you have to reconnect to the server to use them again. It'd also be nice to see more loot for locks so that it is easier to fortify a house.

8. DemoCar82

DemoCar82 This is it... the apocalypse. Community Mod Backer

Aug 14, 2014
    I like these. +1

9. Sneakydude

Jul 24, 2016
    A lock can work as a craft able item, container. Added in special items to make it stronger.

KS_Salem likes this.
  10. RaakaKarju

RaakaKarju Active Member Backer

Oct 14, 2017
    I like idea having better locks, but problem is most houses made of wood and all doors is wood so if locks are unbreakable but doors and walls not.
    Fortification system can help that like you can reinforced doors and wall around door using metal sheets or something else metal what can be founded in map.

In current way think situation, you have 4 locks on outer door then you have 4 lokcs in 2nd door and after that you have 3 locks on that container where your gears are stashed, some houses there can be even that 3rd door before container so it take while to brake all those locks.

But still like idea better locks to secure your loots.

Sneakydude likes this.
  11. Sneakydude

Jul 24, 2016
    It is rather hard to make them super man proof, even in real life your only keeping out the normal people... anyone else and they will bring grinders....

So being realistic will never happen truly is a difficult thing.

12. RaakaKarju

RaakaKarju Active Member Backer

Oct 14, 2017
    If think how you fortified house this kind situation where is zeds roaming every where.
    You make ground floor so fortified that there is no doors or windows just some metal sheets covered whole wall, only entrance in house is second floor or roof nad using rope or rope ladder what you can roll out and in allso outside. in towns where house are close each other then you make somesort of downbridge and use other house as entrance.

But this is game and all depends of what kind fortifications and crafting actually can impplement in game.

In game allready finds cinder blocks if you can use those as bricks to fortificate house so maybe can make wood house to brick house if you find enough of cinder blocks and sement after that can think you can make doors to metal and then use harder locks and other means how make locking harder. Ofcourse when that kinds house will appear then needs better tools for breaking doors like dynamite or C4.

13. Sneakydude

Jul 24, 2016
    First of all finding C blocks, and Mortar is going to be very difficult. We really only have whats available to get using our own two feet. So we chop trees. There will only be so many supplies available even if the whole world got infected. So we use Mud and logs to build up our defenses. To even find a deadbolt or a lock is going to be almost impossible. Supplies will be low all over the world eventually.