• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Using Rosemary Extract to improve baking and frying

Thread starter #1

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Im still experimenting with this but here goes

The compounds in Rosemary has been found to reduce Acrylamide production in fried and baked food. Acrylamide is now established to be a carcinogen, its exactly the same stuff on your toast when its burnt that black stuff. Rosemary is one of a number of compounds that have been found to affect the production from a process known as the maillard reaction which is where sugars and starch reach a certain temperature and begin forming this toxic byproduct Acrylamide. Its been known for many years eating black burnt toast isn't good for you but only relatively recently has it been identified why and what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

Based on some research https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080229142817.htm people are starting to look at rosemary as one potential way to reduce acrylamide production. I got thinking, i wonder if you can produce a liquid extract from rosemary that can interupt the byproduct production process during frying of food. My results thus far have been varied but i can say a few stir frys of vegies have resulted in much greener looking vegies yet they were well fried and soft with little browning.

I created an extract of rosemary by boiling a couple of heaped tablespoons of dried rosemary from a cooking herb packet in filtered water for a minimum of 30 mins. This created a slightly viscous liquid that was infused with high levels of rosemary compounds. The method for frying i use is the following

Put oil or fat in frying pan, i use alot of pork lard but whatever works for you. Once the oil or fat starts to melt add about a teaspoon or two of the rosemary extract to the pan. It'll sort of bead up as it mix's with the fat quite a curious effect. Then fry your food as normal. You should notice the food is quite a bit less browned than normal once fully cooked. Its most noticeable on fried eggs the underside.

I took it a step further by adding some turmeric for its flavour and health benefits plus adding a little fat into the mixture as it was boiling this almost created a flavoured frying fat ready to use as is with lowered acrylamide production benefits. Eventually i believe there will be some sort of powder additive on the market for fast food places to use and possibly laws introduced also for baked goods. Its being debated at present around European countries. It may be possible to create a sort of powder additive from rosemary but i believe it would have greatly reduced potency, i considered turning some of the liquid into powder from heating it at a very low temperature for a whole day in my oven and sort of cracking it once it had dried then grinding into powder. But i think it'd be wasted. The only real benefit would be adding to baking, but ive dabbled with this you can just add liquid rosemary extract in small amounts the flavor isn't very noticeable.

Thread starter #3

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Yeah im still contemplating it maybe sometime i'll give it a go. Made my best batch tonight boiled for an hour or longer at a low temp the water was dark red that's the Rosmarinic Acid that had leeched out. Teaspoon of that wil killl alot of pathogens.