• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

UV Light Bulbs.

Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Thinking of STN zeds relationship with sunlight had me thinking about these...

Now I am not thinking of making some high beam device but just more simply finding these bulbs, fairly new in boxes would be best (pet shops etc) because once turned on they only have a few months/weeks of use left in them before they need replacing and having these inside your building like down a hallway or by entrance areas... my thought is that they would not completely deter/stop zombies but calm/confuse them for a few moments giving you the chance to escape/dispose of them.

Thoughts?

Davz Not Here

Backer
Thinking of STN zeds relationship with sunlight had me thinking about these...

Now I am not thinking of making some high beam device but just more simply finding these bulbs, fairly new in boxes would be best (pet shops etc) because once turned on they only have a few months/weeks of use left in them before they need replacing and having these inside your building like down a hallway or by entrance areas... my thought is that they would not completely deter/stop zombies but calm/confuse them for a few moments giving you the chance to escape/dispose of them.

Thoughts?
yes ..... if the Zeds are light shy, then it might stand to reason that a UV bulb would mess with them.

+1

*****edit:

this would mean that the devs (or the community, or both) might want to decide which rays, exactly, affect the zeds

UV
x-rays
gamma radiation
plasma in the atmosphere (auroras)
cosmic rays
all of the above
etc.

which also means (i love this part of a new suggestion) ..... a door is now open, and maybe a thread needed, about solar cycles ..... the 11 year (at least), the 320 year, etc
which would come down to space weathers affect on terrestrial weather

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
My thinking was 10-12% UVB, the kind I had for reptiles... no idea about any other really, maybe the kind used on tanning beds would work too... depends on if the idea is worth it and would it be plausible...

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I would think both UVA and UVB rays could deter zombies. UVA tends to penetrate the deeper layers of (human) skin while UVB affects mostly the outer layers. I could definitely see tanning bed lights being rigged to scare off zombies as they are capable of emitting UVA light 2-5 times stronger than the sun (after the sun's rays pass through Earth's ozone layer).

Cosmic rays (and background radiation) isn't as specific to the day/night cycle like UVA/UVB radiation is so I don't really see it playing as a factor in STN. Gamma radiation from the sun kinda seems 'out there' too as the vast majority of gamma radiation is absorbed within the sun and re-emitted to lower frequencies (IR/UV), and gamma radiation from other sources can be thrown into the cosmic rays/background radiation categories.

I really like the thought of UVA/UVB somehow affecting the zombies as it flows with what the Devs have said about zombies so far (fewer in numbers during daylight lurking in the shadows), AND it's something we could potentially use in-game.

**EDIT**
We should also discuss HOW UVA/UVB would affect them (as well as sunlight and possibly just bright light in general). But to do that we really need to understand (or nail down) why they're not fond of sunlight in the first place. Can they not see all that well in intense light, in turn having to rely on other senses when in sunlight (sound/smell)? Does the Sun's radiation make them decay more quickly?

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
**EDIT**
We should also discuss HOW UVA/UVB would affect them (as well as sunlight and possibly just bright light in general). But to do that we really need to understand (or nail down) why they're not fond of sunlight in the first place. Can they not see all that well in intense light, in turn having to rely on other senses when in sunlight (sound/smell)? Does the Sun's radiation make them decay more quickly?
I done some reading up on UV and how it effects the brain when exposed, in short...bursts of UV rays are used during brain surgery to kill bacteria but prolonged exposure will damage the brain which would damage/destroy brain functions.

So it could be a case of, because zeds are slowly rotting day by day they avoid the sun as much as possible because...
1. It speeds up the decay process
2. Dead skin does not stop/protect the organs within from UV so
3. The UV rays will harm/damage/destroy brain functions

Meaning zed will try their best to avoid well lit areas of natural light.
:D