• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Voting for 'Suggestions'

Do you agree?

• Total voters

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I don't like the idea of having an option to vote on every suggestion. At such an early stage, everything should be up for discussion. Do you vote solely on the OP? What if there are parts you agree with and parts you don't? Others suggest possible improvements you like that aren't in the OP, etc.
A simple 'yes' or 'no' wont suffice. Ideas are grey areas with pro's and con's, that should be subject to discussion and debate. Discussion/Synergy > Ego boost from people on the internet voting "Yes" on 'your' idea.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
The main ideas will get voted on and then that whittles them down.... They can then be discussed further and in more detail
That doesn't really address anything I said. The "main idea", so the OP. How often is what the OP suggests the end all be all? 9 times out of ten, the OP's idea is an all right start, but generally needs a lot of refining or fleshing out, which usually comes from community feedback/brainstorming.

I was also trying to say that if someone has the option to vote yes/no they may be less inclined to give feedback. And in my opinion, if you're going to agree/disagree with an idea you should back it up with reasoning. This black/white yes/no crap doesn't promote creativity or discussion.

Last edited:

Strider

Undercover Mod
Backer
It does indeed address something you said "Do you vote solely on the OP? What if there are parts you agree with and parts you don't? Others suggest possible improvements you like that aren't in the OP, etc."

The entire idea itself is voted upon, not just exactly what the OP suggested... So the idea makes it forward, The community and devs can work together to refine and make that idea great.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Well if it's decided that's how it's gonna be, I have no further input.

EDIT: I'd vote 'no' on the Poll but it's closed. Perhaps if/when polling on every suggestion is commonplace polls shouldn't be able to be closed? Or have the default close time be something like 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #47

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
The purpose of my initial post wasn't to give posters an ego boost or stifle creativity, voting yes/no on a idea doesn't have to be the end of your imput.

Some people might not be able to express their ideas as openly so a yes/no system works for them, others who are more artistic/imaginative/creative could still add to the oiriginal idea and try to make it something that fits into the game.

Even a suggestion that gets more No votes initially, could be turned around into something that makes it into STN.

With a timed voting system in place, it gives the devs and forum users a flash poll on what kind of ideas are popular at that moment in time, this does have a downside of course, as some ideas can be liked initially and then slowly decrease in interest over time.

NathanD

Freelance Bum
Backer
I think the voting system is the best way to cut through the masses of suggestions . While there may be many fantastic thoughts on the boards I personally want to see the developers get the title up and running with solid basics . The best way to sort through the ideas within the time and development constraints I think is general polls , even if they are ignored it help's the dev's to quickly judge the ideas merits rather than trawling through endless forum post's ... condensed and digestible .

As for the issue of the individual being drowned out well one can alway's post on the poll thread and we won't all get what we want all the time .

So yes , maybe a Poll's section can be implemented by the mod's when the time is near ?

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
While I'm not a fan of necroing I have a concern I want to express as well as a suggestion.

IMHO I think it'd be great if the idea was taken a step further and in order for a suggestion thread to appear it'd have to pass a preliminary vote. Just way too many people post 3+ suggestions rapid fire, each one getting <10 views. It'd reduce clutter and allow for easier viewing if a suggestion had to pass a vote to be displayed under the category. Also, I'm moving this to the Suggestions cat and stickying it, more people ought to read this.
I have to disagree with this. Mainly as no one has yet to and I don't want that being interpreted as support. Suggestions require visibility and participation in order to develop and improve. Putting a lock on visibility that requires a key in the shape of votes to unlock it would only make the process more difficult. Additionally it would only reduce visible clutter, you would still have those suggestions being added, but simply no one viewing them. Also views aren't a reliable indicator of quality especially considering the time the thread has been up.

While I have faith in the STN community I know people can be prone to apathy. A preliminary vote would require diligent activity on the part of the community so suggestions aren't easily labelled duplicates and ignored when they could be suggesting something similar, but distinctly different. While there are many active members I doubt there are many of those who read every single thread aside from the staff and mods. It's possible some threads wouldn't be seen for days. Overall while on paper it sounds okay in practice I don't think it would be very helpful.

The devs will go through the suggestions and find the "viable" and realistic ones.... I am sure at that point the community will get to vote upon these and devs will also pick some themselves.
Hopefully there isn't any bias. :p

The best way to sort through the ideas within the time and development constraints I think is general polls , even if they are ignored it help's the dev's to quickly judge the ideas merits rather than trawling through endless forum post's ... condensed and digestible .
If the suggestion itself isn't fleshed out it'll still be difficult for the Devs to judge its merits. They'll have to read through forum posts to get the ideas and specifics of a suggestion anyway if it's not all completely in the OP. I'm not denying the usefulness of polls, but they can be unreliable.

Would it be worthwhile making all new 'Suggestions' have a Yes/No Poll included?
Yes as it would require little effort and provide a consensus for opinion. However, what's done with the consensus and how it's interpreted is important.

Poll would be a simple Would you like to see this in the game?
That question seems a bit finalizing. As if you were voting on it then and there to be implemented or not. While encouraging people to be more critical about voting it wouldn't necessarily encourage them to further the suggestion.

Is this a good suggestion?

I feel would have more to do with the basis of a suggestion instead of simply the idea concerning it. If we want to make things easier for the Devs I would think promoting the suggestions to be both concise and well liked would go the extra distance. One could argue they mean the same thing, but I'd disagree as they're asking distinctly different questions. Regardless it would still serve to get the "good" suggestions to the attention of the Devs I believe. Personally if I could go and change my poll questions to that I would.

The Devs could then focus on the suggestions that the majority of the community have backed.
While this is good and has my support, it will shift the attention of the Devs toward certain suggestions. While understandable I just hope that less popular ideas will still be considered given time.

I feel this would also increase the effort that forum users put into their suggestions, as they would want to make a good impession and put their ideas across in a more appealing manner.
It could create an incentive.

As per usual feel free to hit me with constructive criticism and feedback!
I think the idea is fine on its own, but given what I've read it could be loosely handled if taken beyond that.

I'd suggest instead of having a sorting system that automatically prioritizes popular suggestions over obscure ones that a webpage function should be made to do it manually in the name of fairness. Similar to how the last message, replies, start date and views operate. That way the Devs could easily access the most popular suggestions, but they wouldn't take priority in visibility unless willfully ordered to or by having high activity.

Last edited:
Thread starter #51

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
While I'm not a fan of necroing I have a concern I want to express as well as a suggestion.

I have to disagree with this. Mainly as no one has yet to and I don't want that being interpreted as support. Suggestions require visibility and participation in order to develop and improve. Putting a lock on visibility that requires a key in the shape of votes to unlock it would only make the process more difficult. Additionally it would only reduce visible clutter, you would still have those suggestions being added, but simply no one viewing them. Also views aren't a reliable indicator of quality especially considering the time the thread has been up.

While I have faith in the STN community I know people can be prone to apathy. A preliminary vote would require diligent activity on the part of the community so suggestions aren't easily labelled duplicates and ignored when they could be suggesting something similar, but distinctly different. While there are many active members I doubt there are many of those who read every single thread aside from the staff and mods. It's possible some threads wouldn't be seen for days. Overall while on paper it sounds okay in practice I don't think it would be very helpful.

Hopefully there isn't any bias. :p

If the suggestion itself isn't fleshed out it'll still be difficult for the Devs to judge its merits. They'll have to read through forum posts to get the ideas and specifics of a suggestion anyway if it's not all completely in the OP. I'm not denying the usefulness of polls, but they can be unreliable.

Yes as it would require little effort and provide a consensus for opinion. However, what's done with the consensus and how it's interpreted is important.

That question seems a bit finalizing. As if you were voting on it then and there to be implemented or not. While encouraging people to be more critical about voting it wouldn't necessarily encourage them to further the suggestion.

Is this a good suggestion?

I feel would have more to do with the basis of a suggestion instead of simply the idea concerning it. If we want to make things easier for the Devs I would think promoting the suggestions to be both concise and well liked would go the extra distance. One could argue they mean the same thing, but I'd disagree as they're asking distinctly different questions. Regardless it would still serve to get the "good" suggestions to the attention of the Devs I believe. Personally if I could go and change my poll questions to that I would.

While this is good and has my support, it will shift the attention of the Devs toward certain suggestions. While understandable I just hope that less popular ideas will still be considered given time.

It could create an incentive.

I think the idea is fine on its own, but given what I've read it could be loosely handled if taken beyond that.

I'd suggest instead of having a sorting system that automatically prioritizes popular suggestions over obscure ones that a webpage function should be made to do it manually in the name of fairness. Similar to how the last message, replies, start date and views operate. That way the Devs could easily access the most popular suggestions, but they wouldn't take priority in visibility unless willfully ordered to or by having high activity.
I currently have 2 spreadsheets, one for Backer suggestions & one for Non Backer Suggestions.

They are currently ordered by number of replies on the forum. I update them every few weeks and send them over to the devs, so when the community voting begins, the devs have a full list of all suggestions which can be re-ordered within excel to suit their needs.

I also beleive that all suggestions will be voted on more than once. Majority votes for X, and the Devs start implementing X, Y & Z get reshuffled into a future vote.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I currently have 2 spreadsheets, one for Backer suggestions & one for Non Backer Suggestions.

They are currently ordered by number of replies on the forum. I update them every few weeks and send them over to the devs, so when the community voting begins, the devs have a full list of all suggestions which can be re-ordered within excel to suit their needs.

I also beleive that all suggestions will be voted on more than once. Majority votes for X, and the Devs start implementing X, Y & Z get reshuffled into a future vote.
Sounds good. Replies are a decent indicator of interest and activity. I also like that suggestions will possibly be recycled and given a chance to improve.