• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Weapon Spawn Rate

Thread starter #1
What should the spawn rate of weapons be?
Well lets use some statistics.

In the USA there is a 89% Gun ownership Rate (0.89 per 100 capita). This is around 300 Million Firearms. Obviously this is very broad and much of this will be Handguns. So lets look at some more Stats
About 100 Million of these weapons are Handguns (1/3) So this means 3 out of every 10 houses will most likely contain a Handgun. This means about 6 out of every 10 houses will have a long gun. Now on to NFA weapons (Automatic, SBS, SBR, etc.) These will most likely be a lot rarer. Not even 1/10. These will most likely be very rare like (1/1000 rare). Now i'm sure we will see Automatic Conversion kits so this will also do auto. But none the less, in 2010 there was a survey. About 50% of all americans own a gun. So this is 5/10 of every Home should contain a firearm. One Third of that is 1.5/10. So that remains as 3.5/10.

FINAL STATISTICS:
Total Firearms per House: 5/10
Handguns per house: 1.5/10
Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns) per House: 3.5/10

EDIT: This of course will probably be dropped since it takes place after an apocalypse and many homes have already been looted

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Welcome to the forums first and foremost! I Think that the weapon spawns (for guns anyway) should be quite rare, same with bullets. This is to add the "Make every bullet count" into effect I don't want people just running around shooting bullets willy nilly cause they have 100 rounds in their bag. I do like how mathematical you got coming up with those statistics but if your going to a realistic stand point then there are a few problems. The main one being that we don't know if the island is in America and maybe in Europe or some where, where guns are less abundant. Thanks for posting!

Awesome way with the statistics but I do think you're right about them just dropping it due to looting...

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I agree with @Crazypineapple55. The weapons spawn and ammunition should be rare. Maybe in a town of 50 houses only 5 houses should have EITHER a weapon or ammo. Think of it this way in a zed apocalypse no ones gonna leave there house without there gun.

A good way of adding immersion is to be able to have a 1/10 chance to find a weapon or ammo on a zeds body. If a guy got bit with a few shells in his pocket they just don't magically disappear. This way we can have like a few places like grocery stores or schools where there was people hold up in it to have a higher chance of guns and ammo laying around, but have a negative factor of holly cow there are like 20 zeds in there.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5
I agree with @Crazypineapple55. The weapons spawn and ammunition should be rare. Maybe in a town of 50 houses only 5 houses should have EITHER a weapon or ammo. Think of it this way in a zed apocalypse no ones gonna leave there house without there gun.

A good way of adding immersion is to be able to have a 1/10 chance to find a weapon or ammo on a zeds body. If a guy got bit with a few shells in his pocket they just don't magically disappear. This way we can have like a few places like grocery stores or schools where there was people hold up in it to have a higher chance of guns and ammo laying around, but have a negative factor of holly cow there are like 20 zeds in there.
Yeah i love the idea of having Zeds with weapons and ammo on them while also having loot more abundent in areas such as stadiums or hospitals where people would flock too but also contain more zeds. I am gonna make a seperate post on this.

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
Welcome to the forums first and foremost! I Think that the weapon spawns (for guns anyway) should be quite rare, same with bullets. This is to add the "Make every bullet count" into effect I don't want people just running around shooting bullets willy nilly cause they have 100 rounds in their bag. I do like how mathematical you got coming up with those statistics but if your going to a realistic stand point then there are a few problems. The main one being that we don't know if the island is in America and maybe in Europe or some where, where guns are less abundant. Thanks for posting!
I was pretty sure the devs, in one of the videos, said that the weapons would be common, because everyone in the countryside at least owns a handgun.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I was pretty sure the devs, in one of the videos, said that the weapons would be common, because everyone in the countryside at least owns a handgun.
Oh, I either don't remember or haven't seen it would you be so kind as to provide a link?

Vookem

Zombies don't like cheese....
Backer
What should the spawn rate of weapons be?
Well lets use some statistics.

In the USA there is a 89% Gun ownership Rate (0.89 per 100 capita). This is around 300 Million Firearms. Obviously this is very broad and much of this will be Handguns. So lets look at some more Stats
About 100 Million of these weapons are Handguns (1/3) So this means 3 out of every 10 houses will most likely contain a Handgun. This means about 6 out of every 10 houses will have a long gun. Now on to NFA weapons (Automatic, SBS, SBR, etc.) These will most likely be a lot rarer. Not even 1/10. These will most likely be very rare like (1/1000 rare). Now i'm sure we will see Automatic Conversion kits so this will also do auto. But none the less, in 2010 there was a survey. About 50% of all americans own a gun. So this is 5/10 of every Home should contain a firearm. One Third of that is 1.5/10. So that remains as 3.5/10.

FINAL STATISTICS:
Total Firearms per House: 5/10
Handguns per house: 1.5/10
Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns) per House: 3.5/10

EDIT: This of course will probably be dropped since it takes place after an apocalypse and many homes have already been looted
Very nice. Depends on how long they make it be since the zombie outbreak started and such.

Cookie

Officially Unofficial.
Backer
Oh, I either don't remember or haven't seen it would you be so kind as to provide a link?
Ah, no. Frankie said that, not the devs. Guess I remembered wrong, but I think he was still quoting the devs (Frankie's first video). I would link it, but I'm on the phone in the car and 3G isn't that fast :(

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Ah, no. Frankie said that, not the devs. Guess I remembered wrong, but I think he was still quoting the devs (Frankie's first video). I would link it, but I'm on the phone in the car and 3G isn't that fast :(
Its alright I know the one, thanks ill have to take another look at it.