• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Weather Towers - Useful?

Thread starter #1

TotallyNotHenry

Backer
Weather Towers

Some games have them sitting around but they serve no purpose other than another loot location. What if you had the ability to somewhat power it during the day for a small period of time, maybe by repairing the Solar Panels with Glass, Computer chips, etc.
The perk being there's temperature controlled rooms that were once used for something? Also the ability to predict upcoming weather?

What use does this serve?

Well my thinking was that if you have a mental state to maintain then you don't want to be looting and soaked through to your whitey-tightys! Maybe if you are wet the state deteriorates a little? If you're base building it will push you more to stick to a set time frame, that way you won't be building through the winter or burning through the summer.

I will expand on this idea, but I wanted to make sure I had some note of it while it was in my head. I'm also on my mobile so I apologise for any poor formating. If you like the idea then I will add to some more features in the station by compiling all of our ideas into the main segment (credit given accordingly)

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
Surely random weather doesnt ruin the possibility of have the weather station read the changes in weather? As much as a random weather system is exactly that, random, the server will still need to send that game state to the client. If the weather station is coded to receive the game state, perhaps even a few minutes before the weather hits, it might be something useful if a player was out to check the coming storm?

thraxinius

Forum Feeder
Backer
Surely random weather doesnt ruin the possibility of have the weather station read the changes in weather? As much as a random weather system is exactly that, random, the server will still need to send that game state to the client. If the weather station is coded to receive the game state, perhaps even a few minutes before the weather hits, it might be something useful if a player was out to check the coming storm?
This is true, and with another post about radios maybe you could connect it to a broadcast station and tell everyone on the map what weather is going to be expected!

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
This is true, and with another post about radios maybe you could connect it to a broadcast station and tell everyone on the map what weather is going to be expected!
Yeah exactly! That would actually add quite a decent game mechanic for a survivor-based broadcast signal. If there was a network of CB radios on the map, kitted in vehicles, players could RP and act like rescue squads for players caught in a tight spot or bad weather.

thraxinius

Forum Feeder
Backer
Yeah exactly! That would actually add quite a decent game mechanic for a survivor-based broadcast signal. If there was a network of CB radios on the map, kitted in vehicles, players could RP and act like rescue squads for players caught in a tight spot or bad weather.
This is a great idea!

Thread starter #9

TotallyNotHenry

Backer
I see what you mean but I mentioned predicting building your home which would need a weeks forcast etc.
Good thinking though :)

DazedGlory

Backer
I havn't seen much regarding the weather but i feel it should be way more fierce rather than a common heavy rain or some thunder. something like, heavy winds that can actually tear up the environment as far as boarded walls/windows. or if your walking in it to slow you down walking against it.

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
What about hurricanes (typhoons) tornadoes, floods, ect ect

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
Yeah, we had a mini discussion about the weather broadcasts somewhere on this thread or another.

If the walkie talkies in game had multiple channels for us to tune into and try catch some or other broadcast whether it be distress or weather or even just updates on "survivor zones" setup by us or @Joshpro Survivalist. Would be awesome to be able to broadcast a message from a fixed CB radio that there is a safe haven out there or even set it up to repeat a broadcast every few minutes/seconds whatever.

@JB_ @Jayty you guys looked into "survivor city broadcasts" ?

I shall record some stuff in my studios at work as rotating messages for haven broadcasts. Could be epic beyond OU.

FlashPaperGrind

That Guy
Backer
That could be quite the outpost to hold. A weather station would have a decent reach in terms of "line of sight" but they tend to be in the open. So a potential target for bambi players or just those looking for a quick place to hide.

I like this idea of looking after a weather station to maintain broadcasts of a sort.

@Joshpro Survivalist , might need to consider a sort of 'agreement' should your group be looking after the station if the BRS come across it. :D