• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Welded Wire Mesh (Many Applications)

Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
So out of the blue I get the idea of fortifying windows with welded wire mesh (wwm). I was initially thinking heavy duty mesh (1/8"-1/4" diameter wire), but that stuff is usually only sold in 4'X8' sheets which is not ideal for transporting. Then I came across 14g wwm that is commonly used for horse fences which is sold in rolls, typically 5' tall x 50'-100' lengths. Since they're rolls they'd be significantly easier to transport.

This could be used to fortify building windows, vehicle windows, and fencing/animal enclosures if that becomes a thing. One roll would be more than enough to fortify all the windows in an average house I'd think. To cut the material you'd need either a hacksaw or a strap cutter (aviation snips, bolt cutters, etc). To fasten the wwm material to window openings you'd also need mesh clips (I'd say no less than 10) and your choice of fastener (nails, screws, rivets, etc.) depending on what you're fastening the material to.

Simple and effective. Sure someone could easily break through this if they're carrying a pair of strap cutters with them, but it would be time consuming as they would need to make dozens of cuts along three of the four sides before being able to fold the material over on the 4th side to gain entry.

The rolls aren't light, right around 40lbs for a 50' roll, and of course bulky since it's a 5' tall roll so you aren't really going to be putting this in a backpack. Unless you have a vehicle to haul things around you'd be limited to 1 handed weapons while carrying this back to your base.

LlamaLover

Backer
+1 imagining putting these in the back of a truck and going to fortify my home (Or Rv):p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Great for a vehicle or safehouse... so good I'm suprised I have not seen it yet.
Definite +1

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.