• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

What about hemp

Thread starter #1

RickDangerous

Backer
Please refrain from discussing drugs on the forum, post edited
Hello survivors, I would not be impertinent or boring, but someone has already thought of by accident use of hemp in the game? fuel, medicines, tranquilizers, in two days can dry out the fibers and get ropes, in a few hours we extract oil combustion using only alcohol and a pot of water. Remembering the 100 war stories of my grandfather. Up to the 40s it was one of the most widely used materials for all, especially in war was invaluable because it grows everywhere and you get several benefits. . What do you think about ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Davz Not Here

Backer
Please refrain from discussing drugs on the forum, post edited
2nd! THE HEMP - urban roof top farming

Thread starter #4

RickDangerous

Backer
I like how you think!
Initially I thought the creation of objects or ropes.

You have exposed topics much more concrete, i like how you think ! (already said but not enough).

Davz Not Here Urban roof farming is a very cool idea i did in other sandbox games, but based on what i read i dont think is achievable, comprises the displacement of soil and some kind of leveling of the roof of the dwelling.
or .... .... ... Breaking the roof, like make an hole in the roof to use the floor of the last level as a plane field ... i know that now some engineer or some architect will spit off the futuristic solution for the urban roof farming, but can i smash my roof ? i wanto to smash the roof :|

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
I really like the urban roof farming idea. I'm positive it could be done since we saw that growing plants was part of the game back when it was in the old game engine (FrankieOnPCIn1080p video) so it shouldn't be too much of a far stretch for the devs.

@JB_ What you think? :p

Moderator #7

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
The Unity 5 engine could easily handle both hydroponics and roof farming, both in which I very strongly support... we should have several means to grow our own food, like @BABYBLACKHOLE said depending on your leveling/skill set. Using a wheel barrow (which we had already seen in older concept vids) and a shovel could easily be used to move dirt/soil... And, a bag of sorts, sandbag, garbage bag, grocery bag, etc. could easily be used to fill with dirt (with shovel) and carry to top of the roof you'd like.

-**Slightly off topic idea**- What if when we caught fish, then prepped them for cooking, we then had fish guts left... then were able to throw that into our gardens for fertilizer, or even find manure (wild or domesticated??) and use that also? All this is achievable, and I think would add such great aspects to a game.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
You could also use captured fish for aquaponics, its like hydroponics but you use fish or other water based animals to provide a constant source of fertilizer through the waste of the animal tank. The constant circulation from the fish/animal tank and the plants keeps the animal tank free of toxic buildup while feeding the plants.

I wrote a bit about the subject on this thread.
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/in-depth-indoor-growing.2344/

Davz Not Here

Backer
-**Slightly off topic idea**- What if when we caught fish, then prepped them for cooking, we then had fish guts left... then were able to throw that into our gardens for fertilizer, or even find manure (wild or domesticated??) and use that also? All this is achievable, and I think would add such great aspects to a game.
i don't think this is off topic, growing hemp (and by default gardening of any kind in general), involves fertilizer ..... this is on topic

and absolutely a great idea that opens even more doors

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Last edited:

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
Although sure, it can be used for medicinal needs, I don't really think something like this should be implemented in a game that people of all sorts of ages will be playing. It isn't really a friendly implementation for a 15 year old or so to be utilizing ingame, since it could potentially encourage people to do this kind of thing in real life. Not really supporting it, man. Sorry. :/

Although sure, it can be used for medicinal needs, I don't really think something like this should be implemented in a game that people of all sorts of ages will be playing. It isn't really a friendly implementation for a 15 year old or so to be utilizing ingame, since it could potentially encourage people to do this kind of thing in real life. Not really supporting it, man. Sorry. :/
How could a game encourage a 15 (when the game is rated mature) to do such a thing?
How,when, and who could a child possibly obtain such a drug? I don't think someone will think, "if i can do it in the game then i can do it in real life." I understand your concern, i see this type of conversation day by day. But a parent or legal guardian should look over and see what they are playing, make sure the don't repeat anything whatsoever from the game.

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
ok ..... i'll respect the mods move on this one ..... and i did read the rules .....

but i am going to get political about this one point ..... i'll try to keep it clean

i wholly disagree on this one item regarding ::insert censored word here:: .....

^^^^^ this finger is NOT on the pulse of reality in any way ...... so ditch 90% of all the music you listen to, a good chunk of literature, stop watching and reading the daily news, walk away from a huge segments of natural news, activism, eco this and that .....

the fact of the matter is that this subject is so ALL OVER EVERY PART OF THE MAINSTREAM RIGHT NOW ..... hard to miss it

we are not discussing the more nefarious, heavily processed for one reason, substances here

and i think it should be pointed out that no one was 'glorifying" drug use ..... at least not compared to some of the hip hop i listen to

and i think, regarding this one thing, regarding the rules ..... there should be further discussion ..... this rule needs to be amended, updated, modernized

and BTW .... my son turns 15 in a couple months ..... so this is not just the voice of some kid ..... i'm 40, a parent, small business owner .....

that's not really all i have to say i could write a treatise here .....

but out of respect for all .....
and hoping this will not get deleted

EDIT: ..... and we all should note that "tranquilizers" in the OP was NOT removed .... even though it's PRESCRIBED 'LEGAL' tranqs, and opiates that are the NUMBER ONE problem (regarding this discussion)

Last edited:

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
You can discuss the use of hemp, just not as a smokable drug, so it's other uses are fine, rope, tranqs, the inclusion of the farming method etc
So can we talk about it in oil form, since you would need to distill oil from it to make anything like a tranq. Actually the tranq part wouldn't work like I said in the post that was deleated in a lot of ways the chemicals in hemp are the opposite of their cousin. It would actually act more like caffine.

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
So can we talk about it in oil form, since you would need to distill oil from it to make anything like a tranq. Actually the tranq part wouldn't work like I said in the post that was deleated in a lot of ways the chemicals in hemp are the opposite of their cousin. It would actually act more like caffine.
You can discuss it in any form, as long as it does not veer over into it's use as an illegal drug, or lead the thread to an open discussion on illegal drugs

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah thats not what I was trying to do in my previous deleated post, I was just dispelling some myths that hemp is exactly like its commonly illegal cousin. The oil form of hemp is currently being looked at by pharma companies for its anti siezure properties and its ability to reduce anxiety without any recreational effects which hemp has none. The reason a lot of pharma companies I believe don't look into it is because its more profitable to make a artifical variant that is able to be copyrighted.

Hemp oil in game would help with mental stress and any potenial siezures caused by prehaps the zombie virus or a number of ailments that could be added in game. Also like Rick Dangerious said it can be used to make bio diesel and rope, it is also used to make clothing.