• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Whittling / small wood carving.

Thread starter #1

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
Suggested on another thread with @Dr. J but made a dedicated one here to expand upon it.
Whittling is tge art of using a knife or sharp tool to scrape and chip away wood untill you are left with something usefull or decorative.

Practical uses for whittling could be to make simple small parts for spring or snare traps, if its part of a skill system, the more you make then the better/quicker you become and learn new skills.
However, I would be quite happy to see whittling in game for purely decorative purpose. From making small crappy figures when you start, to other nostalgic things from the world before it went to shit, maybe landmarks specific to countries like the Eiffel tower, London eye, statue of liberty etc... make these items difficult to create with a chance to fail, high skill cap. It will be something to do whilst sat by a fire warming up or hold up for the night waiting out till day break. The items may even have some value in trade, nothing major but you give me those magnum rounds and ill trade you this car battery and a sweet carving.

Expanded further we could see completely crafted chess sets that take forever to make the individual parts at the highest skill cap and play with fellow survivors...

Justa a few ideas. Please, expand away and throw some of your ideas at this.

Thread starter #2

Handicap Jack

Backer
Anyone up for a badly whittled game of D&D? I am playing as the mage!

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Anyone up for a badly whittled game of D&D? I am playing as the mage!
Oh dear, now you've got me going .... I'm in my 'home office' at the moment, on the bookshelf behind the main monitor I have a complete set of first edition handbooks. All 8.
I'm rather more interested in STN right now, though!

Thread starter #4

Handicap Jack

Backer
Lol I have never actually played it, havent the right circle of friends nor the buckets of money for my own set needed!

Another simple whittling excersize would be sharpening sticks and crafting caltrops.

Thread starter #6

Handicap Jack

Backer
what if for some traps you had to make notches in sticks and then you those sticks in the trap
Yeh thats the kind of thing I was thinking of... then once you can make perfect parts for traps you could move on to the other stuff like decorative pieces etc

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I like the chess set idea, aslong as you can move them along the board so you can actually play it in-game. :p "Whoever wins this match gets my magnum." *Loses* "DOUBLE OR NOTHING Magnum and my Rifle" *Loses* "MY MAGNUM MY RIFLE AND MY HOUSE"

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Really like this, would be cool for somthing to keep a bit of sanity and also hone your creative skills.
+1

Just one handy disposable tool that I found...

Thread starter #9

Handicap Jack

Backer
I like the chess set idea, aslong as you can move them along the board so you can actually play it in-game. :p "Whoever wins this match gets my magnum." *Loses* "DOUBLE OR NOTHING Magnum and my Rifle" *Loses* "MY MAGNUM MY RIFLE AND MY HOUSE"
EXACTLY! or you spend the night with a survivor and play a game whole the zeds are getting destroyed by the traps outside and loser has to clean up in the morning lol

Thread starter #10

Handicap Jack

Backer
Really like this, would be cool for somthing to keep a bit of sanity and also hone your creative skills.
+1

Just one handy disposable tool that I found...
Yes this too! Obviously these tools would need to have a short life span for game purposes.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Yes this too! Obviously these tools would need to have a short life span for game purposes.
Yeah, probably a one use thing then it's useless... thinking for either quick medical treatment like pulling shards of glass/bullet maybe, or used with a trap...

Guess you might as-well throw tent pegs into this thread too.

Thread starter #12

Handicap Jack

Backer
Fancy tent pegs with custom engraving lol

Imagine if there was a way to freeform design miniature carvings... STN would birth a new age of in game carved memes!
On a serious note though STN could allow the community to come up with designs that make it to the game, and if it was a purely cosmetic skill I wouldnt be upset if it where monetized, but only as a short cut, wouldnt want the chance taken away from me to level up to a master whittler.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Fancy tent pegs with custom engraving lol

Imagine if there was a way to freeform design miniature carvings... STN would birth a new age of in game carved memes!
On a serious note though STN could allow the community to come up with designs that make it to the game, and if it was a purely cosmetic skill I wouldnt be upset if it where monetized, but only as a short cut, wouldnt want the chance taken away from me to level up to a master whittler.
They are going to be open or allow modding to-be done... so if not added by them I'm sure someone else might, you've also opened up the idea of custom handles for weapons and tools too :D

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I personally do real-life Leather-working as a hobby. I hope for those of us that know how, we can do something like kill a cow and harvest its leather to make into bracers to protect from zombie wrist bites. But it should require that you know how to do it in real life, as it should be the same process. They could even integrate a book into the game that shows you how.

Thread starter #15

Handicap Jack

Backer
I personally do real-life Leather-working as a hobby. I hope for those of us that know how, we can do something like kill a cow and harvest its leather to make into bracers to protect from zombie wrist bites. But it should require that you know how to do it in real life, as it should be the same process. They could even integrate a book into the game that shows you how.
I have done some leather work and tanning in the past, I wouldnt mind if the process was somewhat streamlined for gaming purposes but on a modded server I would really love to see ultra realistic skills that require real world understanding and thus, in a round about way keep these obscure arts alive.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I personally want the base game to go as ultra realistic as possible. You might learn a few real life skills while playing, awhile ago I heard about people saying that they'd like a really in-depth medical system, and that for those who wouldn't know what to do(People who don't know what gauze, epinephrine, morphine, etc. do, they'd have to read the in-game manual about it, which could be found in a hospital. Stuff like that I really like.

Thread starter #17

Handicap Jack

Backer
I dont think we'll see anything as ultra realistic as this, I could be wrong, but this being a game and that sounding more like a simulator I wouldve thought would alienate many of tbe core gamers. But as I mentioned the modded ultra real servers that could be done would be a great place for this as everyone on the server would be 100% signed up for the need to educate yourself before using certain game mechanics.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Yeah I get that. Personally I like the in-depthness of it all but I know other people wont. But Im pretty loyal to the Official servers and probably wont go into modding much unless client-side ones are a thing for audio/Graphic enhancing mods