• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Why I am not annoyed at how long it has taken to get STN.

Thread starter #1

LonelyBeaver

Lord Of The Silver Beaver Damn
Backer
Ok so before I begin I backed this game back in 2015 after watching FrankieOnThePcIn1080p playing it. I have in no way anything to do with the project except funding and I am a physics student so yeah pretty smart.... (not really)
Basically I am writing this post in reply to the masses of annoyed people who seem to think that good games get plucked out of the air and bam their AAA rated.
Yes the devs did put on kickstarter alpha release 2015. Yes the devs have missed dates for release on more than 1 occasion and yes they could have done many things differently. My reply to this is as follows:

Clc
Clear
k(1) = 0.5; %Preset coefficient of friction of a smooth sphere
m = input('Please enter spheres mass (kg).');
%Allows user to input their own mass in kg.
%1
if m < 0
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT A POSITIVE MASS')
return
end
u(1) = input('Please enter projectiles initial velocity (m/s).');
%Allows user to input their own initial velocities in m/s.
%2
if u(1) < 0
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT A POSITIVE VELOCITY')
return
end
agl = input('Please enter spheres initial launch angle (degree).');
%Allows user to input their own launch angle in degrees.
%3
if agl <0 fprintf('PLEASE INPUT AN ANGLE BETWEEN 0 AND 180 DEGREES') return elseif agl >180
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT AN ANGLE BETWEEN 0 AND 180 DEGREES')
return
end
g = -9.81;
uz(1) = u(1)*sind(agl);
ux(1) = u(1)*cosd(agl);
t=0.01;
%Time interval between loops
h(1)=0;
%Initial height above the ground in meters
R(1)=0;
%Initial horizontal position
i = 1;
p(1) = 1.225;
M = 0.0289644;
Rgc = 8.3144598;
T = 287;
while h(i) >= 0 %ensures that if the projectile reaches the ground it ends the loop
p(i) = p(1)*(exp((g*M*h(i))/(Rgc*T)));
k(i) = k(1)*p(i);
u(i) = sqrt((ux(i)^2) + (uz(i)^2)); % Equation 2.
fz(i) = -(k(i)*u(i)*uz(i))/m; %Equation 1 for vertical direction.
az(i) = g + fz(i); %Vertical acceleration which is gravity and drag.
uz(i+1) = uz(i) + (az(i)*(t^2)); %Equation 3 for vertical direction.
h(i+1) = h(i) + ((uz(i)*t)+(0.5*az(i)*(t^2))); %Equation 4 for vertical direction.
fx(i) = -(k(i)*u(i)*ux(i))/m; %Equation 1 for horizontal direction.
ax(i) = fx(i); %Equation for horizontal acceleration. Drag is the only component of this acceleration. ux(i+1) = ux(i) + (ax(i)*(t^2)); %Equation 3 for horizontal direction.
R(i+1) = R(i) + ((ux(i)*t)+(0.5*ax(i)*(t^2))); %Equation 4 for horizontal direction.
i = i + 1;
if h(i) < 0 %if statement ensures loop is broken when projectile reaches the ground.
tr_total = i*t;
fprintf('Projectile has hit the floor')
fprintf('The range is %d\n meters.', R(i))
fprintf('The flight time is %d\n seconds.', tr_total)
break
end
if h(i) >100000 %if statement ensures loop is broken if projectile escapes the atmosphere. fprintf('The projectile has left the atmosphere')
break
end
end
plot(R,h)
xlabel('Horizontal Range (m)')
ylabel('Projectile height (m)')
title('Modeling of ballistic motion with air resistance')
t_total = 2*((-uzz)/g); %Calculating the flight time using equation 1 of section 2.
t_nr(1) = 0; dt = 0.1; %Set to form an array of horizontal and vertical distance values.
s_z(1) = 0; %Setting the initial distance to 0m.
s_x(1) = 0; %Setting the initial distance to 0m.
a = g; %Setting the acceleration to gravity as drag is now neglected.
i = 1;
while s_z(i) >= 0
uxx(i+1) = uxx(i); %Setting the array for uxx to avoid error.
uzz(i+1) = (uzz(i)+(a*(dt))); %Equation 2
s_z(i+1) = s_z(i) + ((uzz(i)*dt)+(0.5*a*(dt^2))); %Equation 3
s_x(i+1) = s_x(i) + ((uxx(i)*dt)); %Equation 4
t_nr(i+1) = t_nr(i) + 0.1; %Increases until it reaches the value of the flight time to end the loop.
i = i + 1;
if s_z(i) < 0 %Ends the loop when the projectile reaches the ground. fprintf('Projectile has hit the floor')
fprintf('The range is %d\n meters.', s_x(i))
fprintf('The time of flight is %d\n seconds.', t_total)
break
elseif s_z(i) > 100000 %Ends the loop if the projectile leaves the atmosphere fprintf('The projectile has left the atmosphere')
break
end
end

That right there is the amount of code I had to write for my computational physics year 1 assessment. If you can't understand the code what I have basically done, in what is one of the SIMPLEST coding languages, is to calculate the flight of a ball with air resistance and to calculate its flight time, height reached and distance travelled.
This here is why I am not annoyed, angry or at all butthurt about the game taking so long. That code took me 3 weeks to work out myself on how to write the arrays, loop functions and calculations. These devs have built a 64km^2 world. With a large amount of buildings and in game items that had to each be coded individually in a difficult engine after their original concept was lost they had to completely rebuild the game with almost no prior game programming skills. Before you jump to say they could have brought more staff on board to help with development. Would you not prefer a small team all working their hardest full time to get the job done, or a large team that spend half their time at most on the game. They have worked hard on this game and the fact that they wanted the pre-alpha to come out with some amount of work ability in it should clearly show these devs are passionate about the game. I've played about 30 hours in game and have done most available things in the game possible so far and I must say thanks to the devs because I feel they have done a good job. Keep working hard and don't let the zombies put you down!!! 20180106213109_1.jpg

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Wish I could give this post more likes ... it just sums up how I feel about the game right now.

People are not upset because they think they can't code. They are upset because the developers promised us a lot of content which didn't come. If they knew it wasn't going to be in the pre-alpha, why put it in the trailer.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
Ok so before I begin I backed this game back in 2015 after watching FrankieOnThePcIn1080p playing it. I have in no way anything to do with the project except funding and I am a physics student so yeah pretty smart.... (not really)
Basically I am writing this post in reply to the masses of annoyed people who seem to think that good games get plucked out of the air and bam their AAA rated.
Yes the devs did put on kickstarter alpha release 2015. Yes the devs have missed dates for release on more than 1 occasion and yes they could have done many things differently. My reply to this is as follows:

Clc
Clear
k(1) = 0.5; %Preset coefficient of friction of a smooth sphere
m = input('Please enter spheres mass (kg).');
%Allows user to input their own mass in kg.
%1
if m < 0
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT A POSITIVE MASS')
return
end
u(1) = input('Please enter projectiles initial velocity (m/s).');
%Allows user to input their own initial velocities in m/s.
%2
if u(1) < 0
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT A POSITIVE VELOCITY')
return
end
agl = input('Please enter spheres initial launch angle (degree).');
%Allows user to input their own launch angle in degrees.
%3
if agl <0 fprintf('PLEASE INPUT AN ANGLE BETWEEN 0 AND 180 DEGREES') return elseif agl >180
fprintf('PLEASE INPUT AN ANGLE BETWEEN 0 AND 180 DEGREES')
return
end
g = -9.81;
uz(1) = u(1)*sind(agl);
ux(1) = u(1)*cosd(agl);
t=0.01;
%Time interval between loops
h(1)=0;
%Initial height above the ground in meters
R(1)=0;
%Initial horizontal position
i = 1;
p(1) = 1.225;
M = 0.0289644;
Rgc = 8.3144598;
T = 287;
while h(i) >= 0 %ensures that if the projectile reaches the ground it ends the loop
p(i) = p(1)*(exp((g*M*h(i))/(Rgc*T)));
k(i) = k(1)*p(i);
u(i) = sqrt((ux(i)^2) + (uz(i)^2)); % Equation 2.
fz(i) = -(k(i)*u(i)*uz(i))/m; %Equation 1 for vertical direction.
az(i) = g + fz(i); %Vertical acceleration which is gravity and drag.
uz(i+1) = uz(i) + (az(i)*(t^2)); %Equation 3 for vertical direction.
h(i+1) = h(i) + ((uz(i)*t)+(0.5*az(i)*(t^2))); %Equation 4 for vertical direction.
fx(i) = -(k(i)*u(i)*ux(i))/m; %Equation 1 for horizontal direction.
ax(i) = fx(i); %Equation for horizontal acceleration. Drag is the only component of this acceleration. ux(i+1) = ux(i) + (ax(i)*(t^2)); %Equation 3 for horizontal direction.
R(i+1) = R(i) + ((ux(i)*t)+(0.5*ax(i)*(t^2))); %Equation 4 for horizontal direction.
i = i + 1;
if h(i) < 0 %if statement ensures loop is broken when projectile reaches the ground.
tr_total = i*t;
fprintf('Projectile has hit the floor')
fprintf('The range is %d\n meters.', R(i))
fprintf('The flight time is %d\n seconds.', tr_total)
break
end
if h(i) >100000 %if statement ensures loop is broken if projectile escapes the atmosphere. fprintf('The projectile has left the atmosphere')
break
end
end
plot(R,h)
xlabel('Horizontal Range (m)')
ylabel('Projectile height (m)')
title('Modeling of ballistic motion with air resistance')
t_total = 2*((-uzz)/g); %Calculating the flight time using equation 1 of section 2.
t_nr(1) = 0; dt = 0.1; %Set to form an array of horizontal and vertical distance values.
s_z(1) = 0; %Setting the initial distance to 0m.
s_x(1) = 0; %Setting the initial distance to 0m.
a = g; %Setting the acceleration to gravity as drag is now neglected.
i = 1;
while s_z(i) >= 0
uxx(i+1) = uxx(i); %Setting the array for uxx to avoid error.
uzz(i+1) = (uzz(i)+(a*(dt))); %Equation 2
s_z(i+1) = s_z(i) + ((uzz(i)*dt)+(0.5*a*(dt^2))); %Equation 3
s_x(i+1) = s_x(i) + ((uxx(i)*dt)); %Equation 4
t_nr(i+1) = t_nr(i) + 0.1; %Increases until it reaches the value of the flight time to end the loop.
i = i + 1;
if s_z(i) < 0 %Ends the loop when the projectile reaches the ground. fprintf('Projectile has hit the floor')
fprintf('The range is %d\n meters.', s_x(i))
fprintf('The time of flight is %d\n seconds.', t_total)
break
elseif s_z(i) > 100000 %Ends the loop if the projectile leaves the atmosphere fprintf('The projectile has left the atmosphere')
break
end
end

That right there is the amount of code I had to write for my computational physics year 1 assessment. If you can't understand the code what I have basically done, in what is one of the SIMPLEST coding languages, is to calculate the flight of a ball with air resistance and to calculate its flight time, height reached and distance travelled.
This here is why I am not annoyed, angry or at all butthurt about the game taking so long. That code took me 3 weeks to work out myself on how to write the arrays, loop functions and calculations. These devs have built a 64km^2 world. With a large amount of buildings and in game items that had to each be coded individually in a difficult engine after their original concept was lost they had to completely rebuild the game with almost no prior game programming skills. Before you jump to say they could have brought more staff on board to help with development. Would you not prefer a small team all working their hardest full time to get the job done, or a large team that spend half their time at most on the game. They have worked hard on this game and the fact that they wanted the pre-alpha to come out with some amount of work ability in it should clearly show these devs are passionate about the game. I've played about 30 hours in game and have done most available things in the game possible so far and I must say thanks to the devs because I feel they have done a good job. Keep working hard and don't let the zombies put you down!!! View attachment 3100
K Frankie never played it.

Bearnch

Grizzly Survivor
Backer
People are not upset because they think they can't code. They are upset because the developers promised us a lot of content which didn't come. If they knew it wasn't going to be in the pre-alpha, why put it in the trailer.
That was an Alpha trailer, the game is in Pre-Alpha at the moment, the trailer represents where they want be content-wise when the game does reach alpha, even then, no promises have been made.

They have to remember that a lot of people are not going to understand that like us. Some people will misinterpret the trailer.

Thread starter #8

LonelyBeaver

Lord Of The Silver Beaver Damn
Backer
This post was more aimed at the people who were complaining about how long the game has taken to develop and in fairness to the devs again if they introduced everything straight away the number of bugs would be so high I doubt the game would be even playable. I personally would like the game to develop as slowly as the devs want it to be because at least then all bugs can be shaken out properly. Also @RickGrimesdd he did here's the link to the video:

itsJonny

United States Army
Backer
I also began backing the game in 2015 (my join date is 2017 because I never registered in the community). I was actually just talking about this with somebody on how it is their first game, a small development team, etc. But they are very consistent with updates, listen to what we have to say, actually respond to us and interact with us, and so much more.

Yes, this game might be in pre-alpha for quite some time, but as long as there are improvements and additions to the game, I won't be complaining and I don't think other people should be as well.
I haven't seen a single EA game come out that has been flawless. Whether it's Rust (completely overhauled from what it used to be and no longer zombies) DayZ Standalone (still broken might I add and it's been out for 4+ years and still in ALPHA), Miscreated, etc.

I don't know why people are expecting a game that is PRE-ALPHA which clearly states there will be bugs and that we are the 'test dummy's, to be fully working. I fully back the devs and I know once alpha comes along, there will be more players.

Just my two cents.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
They have to remember that a lot of people are not going to understand that like us. Some people will misinterpret the trailer.
Pretty sure he did not play it back then Pretty sure devs sent him a concept vid that he did a voice over on. Pretty sure if you ask a dev/mod they will tell you he didn’t play it. Yes I understand stand your post what I read of it. There’s a bunch of whining little bitches out there. I was merely trying to correct your mistake about Frankie playing stn

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
This post was more aimed at the people who were complaining about how long the game has taken to develop and in fairness to the devs again if they introduced everything straight away the number of bugs would be so high I doubt the game would be even playable. I personally would like the game to develop as slowly as the devs want it to be because at least then all bugs can be shaken out properly. Also @RickGrimesdd he did here's the link to the video:
Sorry quality not sure how I replied to you lol

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I think there's some thoughts we all share here.
The game isn't perfect just yet, but we can see the Dev team, Mods and community as a whole getting behind the project.
I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Sneakydude

Survivor
Backer
I am more annoyed by the players thinking a game can be completed in a few months with 5 people. These are my arguements about the new player base today.

Sorry haven't been around for a few weeks.