• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Windmills/solar panels (alternative power options?)

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Oh yeah, I'm just mentioning small appliances, but definitely not going to be powerful like a generator.
I know, I was meaning in the sense it won't be fully recharged by just exposing it to the sun. It'll be a snail pace regeneration that would happen constantly, possibly taking days to fully recharge your device. Though that greatly depends on the batter and energy supply needed to power it. I'm not a solar panel expert though, so unsure of how realistic my suggestion is in truth =P

Noah

Backer
I know, I was meaning in the sense it won't be fully recharged by just exposing it to the sun. It'll be a snail pace regeneration that would happen constantly, possibly taking days to fully recharge your device. Though that greatly depends on the batter and energy supply needed to power it. I'm not a solar panel expert though, so unsure of how realistic my suggestion is in truth =P
Actually you're spot on, It's really not designed to "recharge" like the ones we have today, it's really good for keeping the battery from dying though.

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
And that's why there aren't mini solar panel attachments for your iphone.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
Well They do make backpacks the have them built in make it like a storage item that rechargeable items will gain some power back in the sun when they are in the pack

Hungryduck34

Backer
Idea: windmills/ solar panels. This is a alternative idea to getting power, but it comes at a higher cost and somewhat of a risk. The idea is that players will eventually run out of fuel or so. Later on in the came they might need alternative ways of getting power such as windmills or solar panels.

Windmills explanation: windmills would need to be crated out of wood and iron sheets (like the ones used on houses or seen in a video were they were used to reinforce a RV) but this would take time and effort to collect, there's also a rick factor of dying while getting the supplies or that the wind mill could break down due to older rotten wood that is used to make the base of the windmill and the poll. Another risk could be that in storms if you do not tie down the windmill or such it could spin of it's hinges and tear completely up cause damage to its soundings as well as attracting a lot of zombies, which would leave you in a sticky situation. The wind mill would need a concrete base or wooden base to be placed on, also needs to be placed closely to the house for the house to revive the power. Cheaper to make than the solar panel.

Solar panels: this is the second and more expensive option to getting power, but it would be very slow to produce power and maybe 1 is not close enough to power more than 1 or 2 rooms in your house, it would only run at day anyway and it could only store little power therefore leaving your with little power to have to spend supper wisely. The solar panel would also need strict set up, for example it can only be place on roofs of houses,RVs ... Also over time the solar panels could get damaged or covered in leaves and such were they won't work as well and produce less energy. There could be a very minor chance that you could find one but most likely in poor condition

Crafting: windmill
18 planks of wood
6 sheets of metal
4 metal wire
4 rope
26 nails
4 metal pipes
1 car battery
1 motor
2 belts
1 converter
4 duck tape
4 Wires

Tools:
Saw
Wire cutter
Hammer
Drill

(Expensive but worth it, maybe the devs can decide if the recipes to much or so, I just don't want to make it OP and once it's built it would be so worth the time and effort unless you forgot to tie it down on a stormy day)

Crafting : solar panel
28 solar cells (given this is harder to find)
2 large sheets of glass
6 Electrical wire
1 junction box
4 heat shrink tubing
1 terminal block
1 flux
6 wooden planks
2 aluminum bars
4 insulation sheets
8 nails

Tools:
Soldering ion
Saw
Wire cutters
Hot glue gun
Hammer

This is a much harder recipe give. That most of the uncommon supplies would be rare to find, this is based also on a real way to make a solar panel.

Description for windmill: a quick and worth while to collect energy from the wind, but this comes at a price, don't forget to tie it up when there's a storm or the price will me paid, Believe me.

Description for solar panel: one of the most reliable but most costly ways of getting energy, that's only if you keep good care of the solar panel. If you don't then next time don't even bother making one

What do you guys think?

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
There is already a post about this topic, BUT this one is quite more in depth so :D

But other than that I love your idea :)

Zipp3n^

Backer
Like the idea. It would be good if you could built a smaller and even weaker solar panel, with maybe only 14 solar cells. Otherwise it would be impossible to built it.. How rare wouldn't it be to find just a couple solar cells.

Archmage Lulu

Backer
Yes. I love the idea, especially as a silent alternative to the gas generator. I would suggest making a battery bank though to store more energy.

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer
*Note* The items used to make the solar panel would be fairly rare and there are many needed to build, making solar panels rare and valuable in-game.

Items Needed:
1 Large Plywood
4 Planks
32 Screws
36 Solar Cells (Rare)
4 Wires
1 Pegboard
2 Electric Wires
1 Charge Controller (Rare)
1 Inverter (Rare)
1 Deep Cycle Battery (Rare)
1 Junction Box (Rare)
1 Plexi Glass

Tools Needed:
Drill
Glue Gun
Wire Cutters
Saw
Pliers

Description:
An Eco-friendly option in a post-apocalyptic world. The solar panel offers a more permanent source of energy, but does not generate electricity at night or on cloudy days. The rare components used to make it should be scarce throughout the world.

Example:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
Id like to see that implemented sometime in the future! It would make a different way to power homes(and other things?) by gas/fuel generators. Solar energy has its benefits (you dont have to fill your generator at times of need, and its drawbacks (its solar.. so you dont produce energy 24/7. Or do you? :p)
just my 2cents

Toastmaster

Not A Racist Piece Of Bread
Backer
Solar energy has its benefits (you dont have to fill your generator at times of need, and its drawbacks (its solar.. so you dont produce energy 24/7. Or do you? :p)
just my 2cents
Yeah, both fuel and solar panels would have limitations which would make the whole energy situation even more interesting I think

refuseresist

Backer
First of all, mr. Toastmaster, you clearly have talent for this kind of inventive thinking.
Second, I think this is something that makes so much sense that it ought to be in.

MrPhysicalSky

Just Clouding Away
Backer
I like the idea of the solar panels :D
I would love to see more 'green energi' methods, like windmills and/or bio fuel :D

castroTheMexican

CastroTheMexican
Backer
i love this idea i think it would be something someone wouldn't think of but would bring a great advantage! maybe you can hook it up to car batteries or things like that so you can charge them and use those at night?