• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Wood Gas Generator?

Thread starter #1

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer

BenevolentDictator

Backer
As lovely as the wikipedia copy paste is, you could probably put some effort into describing how it would fit into the game, etc

Thread starter #3

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer
pretty self explanitory how it would play into the game. You can fuel your generator with wood gas instead of gasoline. prob to hard to get it to play into use for vehicles since the unit has to be mounted near the equipment is fueling. I think its a good idea because wood is plentiful and it would be exciting to run out of wood in the middle of the night and have to sneak out to get more to make it through the night

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
Well to make a wood gas generator (for the game) you could get a regular generator, and find small parts IE a small hose/tube and attach it to a barrel. with the barrel you heat up wood and the wood then smokes (produces "wood" gas) and the gas then goes through into the combustion chamber (bypassing the part where the liquid fuel would go and change into a gas) and from their its producing energy like any other generator.

Thread starter #6

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer
are you a developer?

Thread starter #8

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer
exactly ryan...ive had this idea runnin in my mind for days...never seen it before...they would have to make it where it uses alot of wood though...we dont want it to make the game to easy haha

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
Ive seen it work before, its a primitive combustion engine. It would fit well into the game, and i am a developer. just not for this team XD It uses quite alot of wood, and after the wood its turned into charcoal substance (after a few hours) the barrel would have to be emptyed so you wouldnt suck up dust and charcoal particals

Thread starter #10

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer
i think it would be awesome

Xajinit

Backer
Brass tax: Wood Gasifiers are real and use natural wood & charcoal to expel trapped gases inside the wood
-It's a real thing.
-Survivalists/enthusiasts (like myself) would know how to build it, or the basic principals.
-Much more practical than distilling animal fat or vegetable based fuels.
-You don't have to convert an engine to use the gas, it's an exterior 'upgrade' to a vehicle or generator.

+1 it if you dig

Voodoo

Backer
+1 This or some sort of steam pump/generator to produce power. Relying on fuel would get old after a while, I like the idea!

Xajinit

Backer
+1 This or some sort of steam pump/generator to produce power. Relying on fuel would get old after a while, I like the idea!
Steam is viable for stationary generators near a water source, but the advantage of gasifiers is that they are relatively light weight (by comparison to steam powered modules) and can be easily mounted on any truck, or in the trunk of car. The biggest downside is that wood gas is much lighter than gasoline and vehicles would not be able to accelerate to top speeds, and you can't store very much of the gas in the tank (meaning you have to have an active burn while using the engine). There's also issues where the temperature of the burn has to be closely monitored and controlled for long period burns--all of which is to say it's a little tricky to make it work, but practical.

Thread starter #15

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer

CptMugwash

Backer
Has someone been watching The Colony? for those who haven't check it out, there's 2 seasons and it's pretty cool. A bunch of volunteers take part in an experiment to survive for several weeks in a post apocalyptic scenario, having to find food and water and fend off bandits. In the first season they use a wood gas generator to charge their daisy chained car batteries.

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
Has someone been watching The Colony? for those who haven't check it out, there's 2 seasons and it's pretty cool. A bunch of volunteers take part in an experiment to survive for several weeks in a post apocalyptic scenario, having to find food and water and fend off bandits. In the first season they use a wood gas generator to charge their daisy chained car batteries.
Thats where i first saw a wood gas generator work! Then have seen one be made In real life! works pretty dang well! (if you feel like maintaining it, thats a bit of work :3)

It was one of my favorite series, but too bad its no longer being made :/

CptMugwash

Backer
Thats where i first saw a wood gas generator work! Then have seen one be made In real life! works pretty dang well! (if you feel like maintaining it, thats a bit of work :3)

It was one of my favorite series, but too bad its no longer being made :/
Has it really been cancelled after the accident when they were recording season 3? That sucks, they all signed waivers, the show must go on! :(

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
Has it really been cancelled after the accident when they were recording season 3? That sucks, they all signed waivers, the show must go on! :(
I did digging when i heard it was cancled, they actually never started a season 3! i didnt get enough viewers/ratings :(

Thread starter #20

Jeremiah Fritz

Backer
Yep i got it from watching the colony. I watched it a few years back when it first aired on tv. Ever since the. I have always thought it was an awesome thing. Always wondered why it hasnt been in any survival games. I hope they take the idea and implement it.