• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Zombie AI

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
That's why I always refer to a good ol' George A. Romero film, He always has the walkers ( Zombies ) Walk. The vibe always seems to strike the perfect resemblance of what I depict a apocalypse to be like. Deserted, silent, and then you hear the zombie coming near, he/she almost feels stronger than you trying to pry them off of you, and as soon as you get a chance to strike, always go for the head. His movies, are the perfect scenarios for apocalypse settings. The perfect depiction of a walker, is to walk, and to be strong ( in some cases weaker ) than the humans. The thought of a running zombie, is almost too far unless there isn't much of them around, but when it's you against a herd ( 10+ Zombies ), then the odds are against you especially if your gun jams and you have no ammo left or something similar to make your anxiety reach it's peak in the midst of all the chaos.

Moderator #22

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I love Romero zombies, I think they are by far the scariest vs. sprinters like World War Z zombies and such. Walkers are relentless, and they are loud, and attract other zombies, and keep coming.

I do like a2z's idea of zombies that are faster at night. Like, I think zombies should always be "X" strong, but just able to shamble/move faster at night to push the intensity and severity of pissing around in the dark.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Unfortunately romero zombies only work when in hundreds. No 3d open world game engine can support these numbers. So im fine with running/jogging zombies at night. It gives you a purpose to get back to your base before nightfall. However i hope they arent as erratic as 7d2d zombies

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Unfortunately romero zombies only work when in hundreds. No 3d open world game engine can support these numbers. So im fine with running/jogging zombies at night. It gives you a purpose to get back to your base before nightfall. However i hope they arent as erratic as 7d2d zombies
My thoughts exactly

Steven Porter

Backer
Can we please please have classic zombies that bite you and bundle you to the floor... no more running flying double hammer fisting zombies lol

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
I love Romero zombies, I think they are by far the scariest vs. sprinters like World War Z zombies and such. Walkers are relentless, and they are loud, and attract other zombies, and keep coming.

I do like a2z's idea of zombies that are faster at night. Like, I think zombies should always be "X" strong, but just able to shamble/move faster at night to push the intensity and severity of pissing around in the dark.
Speaking of World War Z... Idk if any of you read the book, but I never really got the impression or imagined the book having running zombies, maybe faster walking or something but nothing like the movie, the book was phenomenal. Movie, not so much...

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Thread starter #30

Templar

Survivor
Backer
A decent mob of George A. Romero style zombies is not something I deem impossible to recreate in a videogame.

Last edited:

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I like the a2z running at night zombies, and it'd be awesome if at night they could spawn in hordes of 100s, maybe in big towns(IF the engine can sustain it)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
They could also pile ontop of each other to get over a wall... That was an interesting scene
Please no... unless it's just so many dead zeds that can pile up.

It was good for WWZ and although Mr Brooks wrote the "zombie survival guide", he did not create zeds in that. WWZ was/is more of a "single mind" virus, they don't really eat the people because they wanna.. they just bite to transfare the virus.. makes no sense for a zombie movie.. infected yes but zeds no.

Cool movie but the more I watch the more plot holes I spot.. like they gotta be real quiet when riding the bikes but yet the AC-130 can land on a runway in the dark and not wake up any zeds... and they can knock over a bus, but not a wall of plane luggage :rolleyes: sorry, went off-topic. :oops:

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Oh no sorry I didn't mean thats a good idea, just saying that the scene was interesting and quite frankly to me didn't make much sense, but yeah they weren't really Zombies.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
A decent mob of George A. Romero style zombies is not something I deem impossible to recreate in a videogame.
Can u name an open world 3d game, that has more than 20 zombies at one time? 7d2d only on horde nights, otherwise its a fairly empty game, the only other game producing decent number of zombies was
Infestation survivor stories, however that was so graphically inferior to any other game, those numbers were possible, not to mention empty and low poly assets.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Im sure you can get more than 20 zombies in games like DayZ by running through a town shooting everywhere, it can happen, 20 really isnt a lot if theyre slow moving to be a threat. in the Alpha trailer you can spot 9 at most on the screen, and 19 at most in one of the concept videos. But during the night 20 zombies could definitely be horde enough to kill you

Thread starter #37

Templar

Survivor
Backer
I'm still fascinated how the Dead Rising series managed to do it really, lol. I have played ArmA 3 zombie mod with 200% zombie spawn rate, and it was playable, but did indeed (on ultra settings) became kinda low FPSish when a lot of zombies were around.

Moderator #38

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I'm still fascinated how the Dead Rising series managed to do it really, lol. I have played ArmA 3 zombie mod with 200% zombie spawn rate, and it was playable, but did indeed (on ultra settings) became kinda low FPSish when a lot of zombies were around.
I think a lot of it is really based on how much stuff the engine is trying to handle at one time. Dead Rising maps are no where near as large and complex, especially as DayZ and Arma Mods.

Clinton

Server Administrator
AllGamer Staff
The amount is something that will just need to be experimented with. It'll probably be configurable per server as well.

Thread starter #40

Templar

Survivor
Backer
I think the actual boredom from most if not all zombie open world survival games stems from the lack of an adequate amount of zombies in the actual world. I hope STN will be able to anticipate on this fact!