• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Zombie Camouflage

Thread starter #1

Norton

that guy who does things with sfm
Backer
I think having the ability to cover yourself in zombie guts would be something quite ideal if you were surrounded, no ammo, no weapons or anything to protect you from the endless hordes, you could blend in for a certain amount of time by covering yourself in their scent and by making them think you're one of them, you can sneak past for a limited amount of time (Shorter if its raining)

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
This is one of those ideas that I don't think would work, in general that is... think of both times it has been used in The Walking Dead (anything else I don't know), both times it failed and from my observation it's not due to rain but I think it's more due to the survivors using this tactic fail to keep up the appearance of being a zombie they are walking then stop... start talking, panic, whisper anything but shamble and moan... I honestly think a zombie would be that stupid that such a plan would not be needed to fool them, not all zombies are covered in guts and blood so just acting like them would get you passed... plus it's a cheap trick for writers and directors to keep characters alive :p but that's all just speculation in my head :D

And even after saying that I would not really mind if this could be used... just make it so you can't run while you are trying to pull of the ruse maybe you even need to look at the floor as-well :)
Edit: I found this thread... I should have looked more thorough :rolleyes:
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/stealth-though-hordes.298/

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

Norton

Backer
This is one of those ideas that I don't think would work, in general that is... think of both times it has been used in The Walking Dead (anything else I don't know), both times it failed and from my observation it's not due to rain but I think it's more due to the survivors using this tactic fail to keep up the appearance of being a zombie they are walking then stop... start talking, panic, whisper anything but shamble and moan... I honestly think a zombie would be that stupid that such a plan would not be needed to fool them, not all zombies are covered in guts and blood so just acting like them would get you passed... plus it's a cheap trick for writers and directors to keep characters alive :p but that's all just speculation in my head :D

And even after saying that I would not really mind if this could be used... just make it so you can't run while you are trying to pull of the ruse maybe you even need to look at the floor as-well :)
The only reason why it failed was because either.
1. They panicked.
2. They got too close

If they managed to keep a safe distance they'd probably be alright, but getting extremely close wouldn't work.

Davz Not Here

Backer
i'm going to say "YES" to this idea

we assume (and the devs have alluded to) that zeds will smell, and be attracted to certain scents, i.e. the raw fresh meat from that dear you just killed

so by default, there could be a way to hide your scent ..... and the mechanics (coding) for this could be as simple as finding an item called 'zombie flesh' on a dead zed and combining it with a coat (any clothing) in a crafting menu and BOOM ..... add a variant skin for the Item (i.e. Yellow Button Down Shirt ..... or ..... Yellow Button Down Shirt(Zombie) )

but i do think weather should have an affect (the rain in TWD season 1)

and it would not be much more work to add features, positive and negative to this game mechanic after it's made
i.e distance from zombies

another neat feature would be ..... now that you smell like a zombie and you look like you are covered with rotting flesh and blood ..... what do other players see when you come out of the trees?

and that ^^^^^ leads into how this would apply to and affect the mentality system ..... "OH SHIT! I didn't mean to shoot them, they looked like zombies" ......

PlastomaGaming

Plastoma or Quentin please
Backer
The only reason why it failed was because either.
1. They panicked.
2. They got too close

If they managed to keep a safe distance they'd probably be alright, but getting extremely close wouldn't work.
they got too close? if that is the case then this would not work in a horde of zombies.

idk but i want to see what others think.

Davz Not Here

Backer
they got too close? if that is the case then this would not work in a horde of zombies.
getting to close to the zeds in TWD was not the issue ..... in season one Glen and Rick were caught in some rain and it washed off the goo

in season 5(6?) Carol used this technique (rescue from terminus) and was walking right next to zeds while firing off rounds (in several scenes)

and recently we saw what happened when the little boy freaked out

each time, it was not the proximity that alerted the zeds ..... it was most certainly other variables that drew the attention of the zeds ..... after that, proximity became the issue

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Also doing this for or over long periods of time would have an effect on your mental state, well I would imagine or would you get used to this as a technique?... maybe that is something for a weak stomach trait... either way the first time would not feel right.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Some interesting stuff going on here.

When wearing clothes covered in zombie guts/flesh, how close could we get without detection? I think this should be a skill-based thing. When you first start doing it you're not very good and run a higher risk of being detected, so you wouldn't want to be very close just in case. As you do it more and get better at it the risk of detection becomes lower, allowing you to be more bold and get closer and possibly allowing you to get away with riskier actions at times (like spiking a zed through the head).

Davz Not Here

Backer

When wearing clothes covered in zombie guts/flesh, how close could we get without detection? I think this should be a skill-based thing. When you first start doing it you're not very good and run a higher risk of being detected, so you wouldn't want to be very close just in case. As you do it more and get better at it the risk of detection becomes lower, allowing you to be more bold and get closer and possibly allowing you to get away with riskier actions at times (like spiking a zed through the head).
for the purposes of this game .... this is an easy compromise on the idea

Thread starter #10

Norton

Backer

Yes, sorry to the others as well, I was mixing myself up and saying the wrong stuff.
I do agree to this being a ''Skill-based'' thing and what you've pretty much said in general.