• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Zombie spawns

Thread starter #1

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
Recently I have noticed that zombie spawns have been a bit odd and not behaving as one would expect. I dont know why this is or how its going to be fixed, but I have a few ideas on some solutions for a new system. (skip to system #4 if you want a short paragraph on how they all behave)

System #1 "range": This is a simple one and probably the easiest to implement for either short or long term. This method keeps z's within a certain range consistent until the player leaves that area. When the player is in the zone then it will pre-spawn the zombies (closer toward a pre-spawned zombie the more of it loads, textures animations, behaviours ect). If the player for example had been to many parts of the same zone you obviously cant keep every zombie spawned and you cant freeze them in place. A suggestion for this is of course zombies remove aspects (same as half spawning but in reverse) and instead of freezing them there can be a movement algorithm which will randomly move the zombies in a small area to mimic movement while the player is gone.

system #2 "claim": This system is in a sense a building claim. Unlike putting down a flag or some object that just stops the zombie spawns this can be backed. Claiming a building can be done by doing the following steps: barricading bottom floor windows, keeping doors closed while the player is outside of the building and away, being gone for a long time (several days or weeks), and turning lights and generators off to reduce noise and attraction. If one or several of these is not followed then while the player is outside of a certain area (similar to the zone in system #1) then each of these factors will cause an increasing percentage of a zombie being in or near your home.

system #3 "consistency": I believe this would be the most immersive but potentially difficult. This system has 2 main parts. #1: zombies are consistent and mostly predetermined. #2 zombies would need a new system to calculate lots of factors to determine where to spawn them while players are in range. For areas where no players have been within a certain time period there can be a random set of predetermined zombie locations. When a player has entered an area Zombies will behave as normal. Instead of what we currently have which is, once the player leaves the zombie despawn. Im suggesting that they despawn physically but are still acting as a zombie in the sense of minor wandering and general behaviours like going toward loud sounds like gunshots(this will increase the hoard probability and accuracy). When a zombie dies it is actually dead and is subtracted from the areas zombie count, the more time goes on and events could add zombies to the area as well.

system #4 "the full house": This is what the game would look like if all 3 systems were implemented. Zombies will only be created in a set range but the other zombies outside the area will still have minor behaviours which determine there spawns. Players "bases" wont have zombies spawn in them when they leave the "zone"unless enough factors would prompt them to IE. open entrances loud sounds ect. Zombies will stay consistent and use factors to decide where to go on a large and small scale, a type of hoard can form this way the most realistically.

1.range spawns
2.building "claim"
3. consistent zombies.

These are just some quick ideas I thought up to try and help out.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Very much liking everything here, but especially #2, being able to claim a building somehow. I do get a bit miffed when I return to my building I'm trying to make my own / stash after a hard days scavenging and fighting zombies to find more have spawned inside. Most of the time I encounter that situation, I die.

Strangely, the windows they've broken through to attack me seem to self repair if I log off. How will that work with fortification in place?

Thread starter #3

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
Very much liking everything here, but especially #2, being able to claim a building somehow. I do get a bit miffed when I return to my building I'm trying to make my own / stash after a hard days scavenging and fighting zombies to find more have spawned inside. Most of the time I encounter that situation, I die.

Strangely, the windows they've broken through to attack me seem to self repair if I log off. How will that work with fortification in place?
Windows could act as a factoring object, an active house with no fortification and full windows could be semi treated as non occupied with a larger chance of zombies spawning inside after the player leaves the set area. but with fortifications is should start to lower the chance of spawns.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
So lets back track, how do we claim a building? How do we prevent zombie spawns in a building we're trying to claim?

Thread starter #5

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
To completely claim a building is should be barricaded and locked up. As a player is in the process of claiming, the zombies in the surrounding area can stay semi consistent, so no zombies could spawn inside. But once a player leaves the area and zombies start to re-spawn there can be considering factors for each house, barricaded windows closed doors intact glass, This allows a building that is starting to become a base slowly have a smaller and smaller chance of zombies being inside.