• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Zombies grappling onto players?

Thread starter #1

Destructor RPH

Backer
It would be cool to see a zombie horde chasing after you and your buddy when all the sudden they catch up to and grab your slow friend and see him getting dragged into the horde, being eaten.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Yes, zombies being able to grapple you, perfect for StN.

Davz Not Here

Backer
very mixed feelings ......

the idea, on the surface, seems not only good and cool, but a necessary mechanic for any zombie game

the problem is how it's implemented ..... does this become a freeze frame screen with lots of quick tapping of a button to get free (think CoD and other games) ....

wiggle the mouse?

seems to me that unless it's really well done ..... and some new way of doing (coding w/e) it ..... it's going to be too much of a gimmick ..... and they always seem that way in grapple situations .... every game .....

this also could be used as an exploit in PvP .....

mixed feelings

the idea, on the surface, seems not only good and cool, but a necessary mechanic for any zombie game

the problem is how it's implemented ..... does this become a freeze frame screen with lots of quick tapping of a button to get free (think CoD and other games) ....

wiggle the mouse?

seems to me that unless it's really well done ..... and some new way of doing (coding w/e) it ..... it's going to be too much of a gimmick ..... and they always seem that way in grapple situations .... every game .....

mixed feelings
How could it be a exploit in Pvp?

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
100% agree with what @Davz Not Here
On paper, and explained like a scene from a movie, it sounds cool. I just don't see it being implemented without being hokey or gimmicky.
Hitting/scratching/biting would work fine imo.

EDIT: Possibly when zombies land a hit, you are given a slight nudge towards them, as though they're pulling you closer. Could also be chance based, so it's not happening every hit - higher chance if they hit you from behind?

Though I would like to see zeds feasting on dead players after they're killed.

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
How could it be a exploit in Pvp?
wait for someone to be grappled and kill both them and the zed ..... ?
and that's with out planning or thought ...... put some time /thought in to the idea i bet you come up with more ......i did

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer

wiggle the mouse?

mixed feelings
I agree with you, it would take some trial and error to get it right if its going in, and if it turned out.. well crappy best thing would be too scrap it and say they tried.
I dunno I have ZERO coding experience, best thing I could think of how to do it is...zombie grabs player, if player has weapon...aim for the head/arms and beat that shit off hehe, if you are unlucky enough to get grabbed without a weapon, well I guess you would be zombie food... But that is just a suggestion.

And I also guess that people would do such a thing to other people.. i.e let them get grabbed them finish of both human and zombie.....I would.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
And when a player finally succumbs to a group of zed..I would like something along these lines to happen...
Skip to 20 sec

Vookem

Zombies don't like cheese....
Backer
And when a player finally succumbs to a group of zed..I would like something along these lines to happen...
Skip to 20 sec
I would love something like this in STN, but idk if they could or would do it. Remmber dying like this alot in State of Decay:)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I would love something like this in STN, but idk if they could or would do it. Remmber dying like this alot in State of Decay:)
Yup, love that 70's-80's zombie flick gore... If not any grappling then at least have some of these types of "death sequences".

wait for someone to be grappled and kill both them and the zed ..... ?
and that's with out planning or thought ...... put some time /thought in to the idea i bet you come up with more ......i did
I swear whenever I hear PvP in discussions, I think of the mental health. I can't see it being a pvp exploit when PvP is discouraged. Yes people won't care about killing others but I don't seeing people using it as a exploit.
Edit: I don't see grapple being added in but i also don't see it as a pvp exploit

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
If there is a grapple then having it "trigger" when you are low on energy/stamina/cardio whatever its called, and its a last attempt at staying alive...
Now i'd think aswell for this situation to happen and someone to be standing there...what to do or which one too finish off first would be a great dynamic to have, best way to form a trusting friendship is to actualy save someone from certain death. And yes people would aslo leave people to die or kill you and take care of zed but that also is a good thing IMO.

But executing it is the problem..I don't want a grapple like H1Z1.