• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Zombies vs Seasons Dynamic

Like the idea?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Starting this thread because @-Shadow- 's & @Davz Not Here 's posts got me thinking. ;)
On winter would zombie be like slow?
+1
+1

both of these ideas are ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT

for the record:
slow zombies in winter has been addressed before in other discussions about seasons, but not in any depth (fresh thread?) and since seasons are in ..... ::looks at devs:: ..... now we want winter (season) effects on zombies (especially if zombie spawns are cumulative to create hordes)
I think it would be pretty interesting & rather cool if zombies behaved differently depending on the season. Here's what I had in mind.

Spring & Fall:
Lets call these the "normal" seasons where the zombies act "normal". Slow Romero style zombies we all want to see, persistent with wanting your brains, dumb, fearless. No frills here, the basic zombies that the Devs, and community, are wanting. They can be found "solo", in small groups, and in hordes at a "normal" rate, and the groups/hordes would have a "normal" amount of zombies (you'll understand what I'm getting at here as you read below).

Winter:
As Shadow and Davz mentioned in their thoughts, what if zombies moved slower during the winter? Nothing super slow, but enough to tell there is a difference. They'd still be persistent with wanting your brains, dumb, and fearless. However, because they move slower there needs to be some way to "balance" that effect.

What if because it's cold, they tend to form small groups and hordes at an increased rate (possibly even in larger numbers per group/horde), and would be by themselves at a decreased rate? A single zombie wouldn't be as much of a threat in the winter since they'd be slower, however making it more likely to run into a group of them "balances" this out as multiple zombies are always a greater threat than just one.

Summer:
During the summer months the hotter temperatures would have the opposite effect. Again still persistently wanting your brains, dumb, and fearless, but now they move a little faster. Not sprinters by any means but fast enough to know they're a little faster.

To "balance" this, they would form groups and hordes at reduced rates (possibly in reduced numbers per group/horde) and would be alone at an increased rate.

Now don't let the rates and group/horde sizes above fool you. Overall there would still be the same amount of zombies during the winter & summer as there would be during the spring & fall. Really the only thing that changes is their speed and how they "flock" so to speak.

I imagine that may be difficult to code in (or maybe not, I don't really know), and it would likely be best to get the "normal" zombies done first and done right before playing around with any ideas like this. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MrJingles705

Bangarang!
Backer
I like the summer 'uptick' in zombie performance and the spring/autumn 'baseline'.... for winter, I don't think they need a debuf providing the winter months are genuinely harsh (e.g. not going to be able to forage, reduced wildlife etc). But if we did have to do something, camuflaging them with snow (zombie snowdrift!) might be a nice touch.

Thread starter #3

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I like the summer 'uptick' in zombie performance and the spring/autumn 'baseline'.... for winter, I don't think they need a debuf providing the winter months are genuinely harsh (e.g. not going to be able to forage, reduced wildlife etc). But if we did have to do something, camuflaging them with snow (zombie snowdrift!) might be a nice touch.
Interesting thought. Kinda makes sense, for the zombies not rummaging around indoors at least. The ones wandering around outside would likely accumulate some amount of snow and wouldn't be bothered to brush it off themselves, providing a "natural" camouflage.

*edit*
I still kinda like the idea of them being slower though. The added bonus of the snow acting as camouflage, along with the greater chance of them forming groups/hordes help to negate their slower speed. You'll be less likely to spot them at greater distances possibly making it more likely to run into them, or at least get too close and attract attention.

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
All thoughts so far discussed are to my liking...

What to add so far apart from the maneuverability of the zeds, the toughness... in colder seasons I imagine they would have some-what tougher skin & bone than in the hotter seasons because it may be partially frozen and in the more hotter seasons (not the average heat) they would be more gooey, squishy, generally easier to kill (no effect on bone) because of increased decay rate during that time...

Maybe their sight could be effected during winter (frozen eye-balls)...

As for the "congregation of zeds" I like how you have calculated so I won't disagree but it's not something I would have come up with :). But on that note, the only thing I could not (maybe would not) think about changing is their behavior overall; From my research a zombie wants only one thing and that's something to eat, no matter the obstacle or weather :p. Although they have no self-awareness to danger they do show patterns in general behavior but it seems to be the same all round and no particular difference during seasons... their resilience is up for debate with me but that's just me.

:D

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
great start @Montauk

i like where this is going, and i'll think some more on it before adding anything more

but .....

Zombies to be stupid at 1st but should be able to evovle.
no ...... no no no no no no no no

go play resident evil

Davz Not Here

Backer
Agree with Davz on this.... not a fan of this. Zombies stay zombies, no leveling/evolution or this will end up feeling like Land of the Dead

ROFLMAO "Land of the Dead" .... that was the "Feel Good zombie movie of the year"

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Same here on the evolution thought... no beef with that kind of zombie but deciding what type/style of zombie was probably one of, if not the first decision made by the devs (just my guess) when they come up with the vision of their zombie game... they are good in Dying Light but not the overall concept of STN.

Kacproc

Well there is a great dynamic season system right?
Well then why not zombie migrations? At winter nights are longer there for
Zeds should be more in towns but a bit slower

In summer there will be less in towns but more in the woods
but faster

that will bring a lot of planning when to loot and where

Davz Not Here

Backer
Thread starter #12

Kacproc

If such mechanics would be in place.
Many players would probably Rp like zombie zoo
if there is a option to trap a Zed in a cage and transport it
i would for sure make my OWN Zombie Zoo with a bit of help
and study how the zeds change throught the seasons
I think that would be pretty cool

Davz Not Here

Backer
and study how the zeds change throught the seasons
now there is an interesting idea .....
capturing and studying zombies
maybe gives a perk or two, to relevant skills, if when there is a skill tree / set

Kacproc

now there is an interesting idea .....
capturing and studying zombies
maybe gives a perk or two, to relevant skills, if when there is a skill tree / set
Yea if the devs didn't give us much info for the zeds and the zeds had pretty advanced AI not metal gear solid advanced but some good AI I think it would be cool to explore it

Davz Not Here

Backer

Mizana

Feral
Backer
Why is there no Yes option on the poll? Very unfair.

I would like to see some variance in the zeds throughout the seasons, whether it be their appearance, movement speed, toughness, or change in behavior like being more or less persistent.

Thread starter #19

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Why is there no Yes option on the poll? Very unfair.

I would like to see some variance in the zeds throughout the seasons, whether it be their appearance, movement speed, toughness, or change in behavior like being more or less persistent.
There was at one point, not sure when it changed. :/ Fixed though.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I like the idea in theory but if they are the un-dead they should not be affected by the weather or any other conditions. If there is alot of snow on the ground I get it as they would "shuffle" through snow instead of arching their leg to walk more efficiently. The same could be said for the players as well. Walk slower in the heavy snow fall and there for burning more calories and stamina drains faster.

I don't think the summer should give them any kind of boost at all though. I think only winter should affect the zombies. An interesting thing about the grouping of zombies though. The winter time there should be larger hordes as they are slower and less wild life for them to catch and so on.

Thanks,